Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
I am not a HID fan at all because most are blinding and obnoxious, but I must say I like yours in the pictures of the walls.
That's because most are cheap bulb and balast kits thrown in by people who either don't know or care to do it properly.
There are several how-to's on the net that have the same basic process as this thread. When done with care like this and properly aimed they are not that much different than factory installed ones.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
That's because most are cheap bulb and balast kits thrown in by people who either don't know or care to do it properly.
There are several how-to's on the net that have the same basic process as this thread. When done with care like this and properly aimed they are not that much different than factory installed ones.
I agree, it does not answer the 'legality' question but chances of it being tagged because it is not OE is quite slim I would think.

Once you have an HID source in the proper housing, and correct headlight alignment, no reason it should not provide adequate and safe lighting.

I am not advocating that anyone should do the change-over, just saying I don't see a technical reason it should not work correctly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I agree, it does not answer the 'legality' question but chances of it being tagged because it is not OE is quite slim I would think.

Once you have an HID source in the proper housing, and correct headlight alignment, no reason it should not provide adequate and safe lighting.

I am not advocating that anyone should do the change-over, just saying I don't see a technical reason it should not work correctly.
exactly, you need to use some common sense what the purpose of this law is. We are not talking about not wearing your seat belt or a DUI here. The modification when done correctly makes driving at night much safer, the lights are a lot brighter and wider too. I don't have the best night vision and found with the stock lights I was constantly stopping to wipe off the headlights when they got dirty, having trouble seeing very well in the rain at night, etc. I don't have that issue anymore, the light output now is great.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
exactly, you need to use some common sense what the purpose of this law is. We are not talking about not wearing your seat belt or a DUI here.
Exactly!! Cops have better things to do than check every ones lights. Now if they are ridiculously bright then yes, I agree with pulling them over and looking into it. I have seen HIDs installed on the regular halogen reflectors and I didn't mind them. I am not about to go out and do it to my truck but just saying.

I am looking into OPs way as I travel for many many miles in the dark and the extra light would be amazing.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
It's FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards: Number 108) if you want to read it: Search Regulations
Resurrection of an old post but something I was thinking about now that the OEMs are yellowed beyond polishing. As I was reviewing the pages of people who installed projectors, I went back and ran across Csimo's citing of headlight regulations and how it was a violation to modify headlights away from OEM parts. The post cited what I believe to be the wrong regs and the appropriate link should have been:

I read through (though quickly) and I saw nothing referring to modifications of headlights or of any violations.
1) Anyone know what the exact section was?
2) Was an old section deleted now that projectors are standard on so many vehicles?
3) Has anyone run into any mechanical issues with their Morimoto modifications?
4) On the kit sites, the kits usually have a bundle of options regarding the ballasts, the shrouds, etc. Is there a good reference showing what the best choices are for the various combinations? (for instance, I don't want to get through the process only to find out after its installed that I should have used Ballast "X" or some other single component instead.
5) What is the real difference between the D2S and the H1's? I don't need top end, just want something better than the OEM (remember I've had the yellow OEMs so even replacing the headlight bodies is a significant upgrade)
6) The difference between the XB35 bulbs and the Osram 66240 (both in the 5500K)?

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,422 Posts
As I do have a projector retrofit on my G1, I will do my best to address your questions.

1) Anyone know what the exact section was?
- Appears to be the S6.5.1 in your link. I say this because the Virginia Code of 19VAC30-70-510 speaks of something like this. Basically what the S6.5.1 says is that all items of the headlamp assembly, lens, beam contributor, bulbs, etc must carry a DOT marking to comply with 49.USC 30115. No aftermarket HID unit come with a DOT marking on all of its individual components. Esp the ballasts and igniters do not carry a DOT# or a SAE#.
Also S10.15 (Replacement bulbs to be of the same as OEM), I stopped after that because it is too much to read and violating at least one of the regulations is enough; I found two :).

2) Was an old section deleted now that projectors are standard on so many vehicles?
- What do you mean by this?

3) Has anyone run into any mechanical issues with their Morimoto modifications?
-
I had an issue with trying to epoxy the shroud to the projector. The temperature was soo high, that it melted the cured epoxy, which dripped onto the solonoid that controls the shutter that activates the high beam pattern. The second time around, I make sure NOT to use the epoxy and have been problem free. Other than that, my issues were just faulty ballasts, nothing mechanical, as that is the only moving 'mechanical' part.

4) On the kit sites, the kits usually have a bundle of options regarding the ballasts, the shrouds, etc. Is there a good reference showing what the best choices are for the various combinations? (for instance, I don't want to get through the process only to find out after its installed that I should have used Ballast "X" or some other single component instead.
- I have a Morimoto mini H1 Stage 3 from 2016. The universal kit, under that name, comes with everything you need. You need the projectors, bulbs, shrouds, igniters, ballasts, and the relays. Those are the 6 components, regardless of the fancy names they go by, you need. For the HB4/9003 bulb (which is what we have OEM), you have the option of the Morimoto mini H1 or the Morimoto mini D2S. Only difference is, you have a number of OEM bulb offerings in the D2S form, not many on the H1 form as the D2S is a standard fitting and the H1 is not (carries a pigtail). Going through 8 different ballasts, I would recommend that you stay with the 35w ballasts. The 50W ballasts do put out a ton of light, I mean it is bright as fuc$, but has tons of issues with heat and reliability.

5) What is the real difference between the D2S and the H1's? I don't need top end, just want something better than the OEM (remember I've had the yellow OEMs so even replacing the headlight bodies is a significant upgrade)
- H1 and D2S are bulb designs, which translates to bulb availability and compatibility. Since D2S is also an OEM offering, you can find various mfgs making them and available in Osram, Philips and cars such as BMW, Audi, Lexus, Mbenz, etc. I have the Morimoto H1 and they are bright as they can be. Bulbs are usually the same, just the fittings are different so the quality of light output would be more or less the same. Do know Morimoto also uses other company (like Philips) bulb capsules to make some of their bulbs in their lineup and advertise as such. a H1 XTR which is a Philips XV2 pushing 4800K color.

6) The difference between the XB35 bulbs and the Osram 66240 (both in the 5500K)?
- it is just the manufacturer. XB bulbs are Morimoto brand. Osram 66240 is a D2S type bulb. The XB35 denotes the XB series and the 35 is the 35w ballast. You would use the XB50 for the 50W ballast. Both the bulbs, XB35 and the OSRAM 66240 with 5500K light output, should push around 3400 lumens with the XB35 ballasts.

Lastly, even if ALL the items are DOT stamped and certified, since it is being 'retrofitted' to a vehicle that originally did not have a HID option from Factory, it would automatically become illegal according to the Federal DOT guidelines. That did not stop me and I have passed the state inspection twice since 2016, so there :)

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Awesome Smuguy. Good info. Thanks

21 - 31 of 31 Posts