Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RTL
I know the hitch subject has been written about a great deal but I have not seen this problem answered. Even with all the pics posted I have not seen how the following problem was addressed.

I Ordered a Hidden Hitch for $141.00 shipped from www.Hidden-hitches.com. I also ordered from Handa.com the genuine Honda wiring harness that has both 4 & 7 pin connectors and all the relays. The Honda harness has a very nice bracket that 4 & 7 plugs attach to. This Honda harness bracket was designed to be mounted onto a Honda Hitch that has provisions for this bracket. On the other hand I have a Hidden Hitch that really doesn't have a welded bracket to mount the honda plugs and bracket.

How best do I attach the genuine Honda 4 & 7 plugs to the Hidden Hitch? Has anyone drilled and tapped into a round tube hitch to attach the plug conncector bracket? Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wayne

Hidden-hitches price before shipping $119.73
http://search.cartserver.com/search...ywords=2006&keywords_2=HONDA+RIDGELINE&GO=GO!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

A local independent truck accessory dealer has a universal plug mounting bracket that utilizes a large hose clamp. The clamp was designed for a square body hitch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My friend who sold me the Hidden Hitch said that Hidden Hitch sells a part that bolts onto the round frame and is designed to hold the OEM parts in place. I'm waiting for him to send a link, and as soon as I get it I'll post it here.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Excellent! Time to save up some more RL mad money for the Hidden Hitch and OEM harness :)

-SixOpRidge

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - I'll be looking for the information (Link) on how to bolt the factory harness to the Hidden Hitch. I installed the hitch easily enough and then took a good look at my factory wiring harness to try and figure a mounting place for the 4 & 7 pin plug ends. The solution is not obvious to me. I have some Idea to make a bracket but I'm really looking for ideas. I could drill and tap the hitch but I think the plugs would hang to low.

When installing the Hidden Hitch make sure the installer pulls the truck 10 pin plug and pigtail (wrapped in green tape) down before bolting up the hitch. After the hitch is bolted-on there is no room to grab the plug tie-in.

Looking forward to your replies

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got this off the Hidden Hitch website. I don't know if it was someone in this forum that asked the question.

2006 Honda Ridgeline factory harness and Hidden Hitch installed. Factory harness has a one piece bracket that holds both 4 & 7 pin plug-ins. On a factory Honda hitch the bracket has a place to bolt the plug-ins. How do I attach this Honda factory harness plug and bracket to my installed Hidden Hitch?
I do not have much information on this factory harness but I can tell you that the bracket on the hitch is for standard size connectors and normally do not work with a vehicle's factory harness connectors. You may have to inquire of Honda for a separate bracket you can secure to hold that bracket. Regards, Dean Strong Cequent/Hidden Hitch [email protected] 734-656-3001
I like how Hidden Hitch passes the buck off to Honda, but it also sounds like Hidden Hitch doesn't plan on creating anything that will help. I already have my Hidden Hitch but am waiting off to purchase either the OEM or the Hidden Hitch wiring harness.

I don't think I'll ever need the 7 pin connector, but from reading this forum, I don't think I want the brightness of my brake lights to decrease when I'm towing. Any advice?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. That's funny. That's my post on Hidden Hitch's site from the week of August 22nd (last week). I still have not totally figured out what I'm going to do but I have a couple of ideas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Okay, it's been a while since anyone has reported on this (or even posted pictures). Anyone figure out a way to mount the factory plugs to a Hidden Hitch or other equivalent? My factory harness is here and I need to make a decision on the actual hitch pretty quick. Any help would be appreciated (especially pictures).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found (at Lowes in the outdoor shrub section) chain link fence parts. It appears the tubular hitch is made of about 2 3/8" tube. With two galvanized chain link fence post brackets 2 3/8" and some extra long bolts the factory plug and plate can be secured. The chain link fence post brackets come in two lengths. The shorter version worked better for me. I'm not sure if I'll keep this setup but it's secure and there is no drilling of the hitch required.

If anyone has any better ideas let me know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
coma-toast said:
I found (at Lowes in the outdoor shrub section) chain link fence parts. It appears the tubular hitch is made of about 2 3/8" tube. With two galvanized chain link fence post brackets 2 3/8" and some extra long bolts the factory plug and plate can be secured. The chain link fence post brackets come in two lengths. The shorter version worked better for me. I'm not sure if I'll keep this setup but it's secure and there is no drilling of the hitch required.

If anyone has any better ideas let me know.

Has this worked out for you? Do you think there's any way you could post a picture?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I see there has been no activity here...I have ordered the hidden hitch and the oem wire harness...is there a good solution here?? THANKS.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm planning on this same setup. I was thinking of just welding the plate to the hitch, but I like the solution with the fence parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a Hidden Hitch from Tiger Automotive for 316.00 Canadian taxes in, wiring harness was included in the price. I installed it myself in about 1.5 hours and little problems. The one side of the hitch was "Bent" a bit so I had to straighten it out ...with a little help. The 4 plug wiring harness was fairly easy to install and finally the bracket that holds the 4 plug was installed right into the hitch under the tube. Overall, it was easy and most people should be able to do this...just make sure you remove the heat sheild completely it make si t much more easy to place the hitch. A second person would have been nice also to hold the hitch in place while the other person puts in the bolts.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use 2 - 2 inch U bolts.
I know this is digging up an old thread but I just have to say that the U bolt solution worked great for me (OEM harness). Just get a couple extra nuts so you can lock in the front edge of the U bolt. A perfect inexpensive solution.

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts