Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend owns a truck accessory shop and just hooked me up with a Hidden Hitch, draw-bar, 2 inch ball, and locking hitch pin. He asked what the word was on hear about aftermarket hitches and if he should make them available, of course I said "Yes." His sellers name on ebay is OK4JG24. He said he will sell the hitch for $109.95, $25 for the draw bar and ball and $20 for shipping. Here's how it looks:

Attachments

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Nice pictures. Thanks for posting them.

It looks like the hitch (without the receiver and ball) is recessed under the bumper just like the factory hitch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Talk about coincidence..I JUST bought a hitch from that guy!! I assume it will be here before fri and I'll post MY mounting experience!

·
Registered
536 Posts
1) Do you still need to order the electrical harnesses from Honda?

2) If yes, is there a provision for the electrical connector on the Hidden Hitch?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for the pics! This is definitely something I'd like to add, especially at that price :)

I too am curious about the wiring harness. It looks like I'd have to mod the hitch in order to attach Honda's harness since it has a mounting plate welded to the bar. Let's hope the Hidden Hitch folks can create a complete package similar to the OEM harness at a good price.

-SixOpRidge

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ditto on the wiring question, what do we do for general purpose trailer and small recreational vehicle use? I probably will never tow a large boat or trailer with brakes but need the general round light plug recepticle for lights, signals and brake indicator.

Let us know if you find something.

Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, I got a hitch from uhaul on monday. Its real easy to put it on, about 20min install. A big question for me was will I need the connectors that go on the stock unit. So I went down an just pick one up to see what was so SPECIAL about it. The harness as we know is diff, but I went further to expl. and see what the big deal is about all of it and I found out. It works in 3 parts. (1) is the jake brake connection which most of us really dont need. (2) is a relay to maintain charge levels when all lights are on. (3) is fan, trans sensor unit which sends a loop thru the system and tells the trans to shift diff. under larger power load which in turn kicks fan on at lower temps.

Thats the simple details.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those who don't need trailer brakes, Hidden Hitch makes a "T-Connector". This device connects using OEM type connectors in series with your tail light connectors. There is a connection on both the left and right tail lights, and it terminates in a standard 4-pin tail light connector. This is usefull because the tail lights on the Ridgeline utilize a separate bulb for brake lights and turn signals, and the unit will combine these signals into one as necessary for a 4-pin connector.

I installed this product, and was very please with the fit and function of the unit. You do have to provide a ground connection for the unit, and find a place to strap the box (about 4"x6"x1"). I was going to use a stud used to bolt the bumper cover on as the ground, but after checking with an ohm meter, found that there was no connection to ground. Instead of the stud, I drilled a hole and used a Dremel tool to remove the paint from the metal. Then I used some silicon grease (used in electronics) to prevent corrosion.

The Hidden Hitch part number is 16400, and I think the price is about $50.

·
Registered
100 Posts
doubledutyemt said:
Talk about coincidence..I JUST bought a hitch from that guy!! I assume it will be here before fri and I'll post MY mounting experience!
Me too. Should be here any day. Looks like a quality product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Hidden Hitch is indeed easy to install, since the Ridgeline comes with pre-installed weld-nuts in the unibody. I'm guessing someone will eventually offer the Aftermarket version of the wiring harness. Just a matter of time, since the RL is so new.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Got mine from U-HAUL also..Easy install. Only cost me $135.00 plus tax. I installed it my self in about 1/2 hour. Looks good, and all you see is the receptacle for the tongue.

Vinnie:D

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
rapidrick said:
You do have to provide a ground connection for the unit...I was going to use a stud used to bolt the bumper cover on as the ground, but after checking with an ohm meter, found that there was no connection to ground. Instead of the stud, I drilled a hole and used a Dremel tool to remove the paint from the metal. Then I used some silicon grease (used in electronics) to prevent corrosion.
A little late, but may help someone else. When you have the tail light out to hook up the T-connector, there is already a screw going into the body. I just removed it and reinserted the screw through the "loop" connector on the ground wire and retightened it. No need to drill, etc. I also used the double sided tape that was on the unit and taped it behind the tail light, down out of the way.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Basickoncepts said:
Well, I got a hitch from uhaul on monday. Its real easy to put it on, about 20min install. A big question for me was will I need the connectors that go on the stock unit. So I went down an just pick one up to see what was so SPECIAL about it. The harness as we know is diff, but I went further to expl. and see what the big deal is about all of it and I found out. It works in 3 parts. (1) is the jake brake connection which most of us really dont need. (2) is a relay to maintain charge levels when all lights are on. (3) is fan, trans sensor unit which sends a loop thru the system and tells the trans to shift diff. under larger power load which in turn kicks fan on at lower temps.

Thats the simple details.
Number three was enough to convince me to go with the Honda wiring harness. Even it if it a big pain in the tail to install the crap under the dash.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If anyone has or is going to purchase the Hidden Hitch from eBay (109.00) like I did be prepared for install difficulties. I just received my Hidden Hitch from that particular seller today. I started the install about 2:30 and finished at 5:00. I'm not knocking the guy, but he doesn't pack the hitch very well. It's loosly sliding around in the box. The ends and the receiver aren't wrapped and broke thru the box. I had to repaint the corners and touch-up all around the hitch. Then when I went to install it, it turned out to bent(considerably). I had to persuade it back in to shape with a rubber mallet, a bottle jack and a length of pipe just to get the side bolts to align properly. After all that, the middle bolts didn't even come close! Then I had to use a heavy duty ratchet strap connected to a street light pole to pull the hitch into place.

I have installed 5 other Hidden Hitches(purchased locally) without a problem.
They were very friendly and tried to help, and even admitted that the majority of the hitches arrive bent. (but not usually like mine).

It looks like a factory piece and once installed, I am very please with it's appearance.

Just a tip, I removed the stickers and cleaned the residue off with WD-40. You would never know it wasn't installed at the factory!!!

If I can help anyone with questions just PM me or email @ [email protected]. Now that I know the tricks, its a breeze.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts