Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just taken delivery this week. 2019 BE. First time out driving at night and oncoming vehicles flashing me because my main beams did not auto dim. Next day I get two warning
27F1CEE8-B8EC-42D8-8AFF-4213609F92A2.jpeg C1A6B7EB-7122-4E77-8EAA-EDBB32DC2C93.jpeg

Of course, dealer ‘can’t find any thing wrong’. Anyone else had this issue?

John

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Just taken delivery this week. 2019 BE. First time out driving at night and oncoming vehicles flashing me because my main beams did not auto dim. Next day I get two warning
View attachment 397180 View attachment 397181

John
I've had mine for three years, and the auto-dimming feature sucks (to put it bluntly) just as the rest of the nanny systems do. None of them compares to the competition. The back-up camera does have very good resolution, though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've never seen that alarm, good luck, hopefully no big deal. My auto dim works perfect, one of the features i love the most in my truck (rural living)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m picking the truck up this morning and will update when I get some feedback. I’ll be interested to know if they even drove the truck after dark to check out the auto dim operation!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also curious what "sucks" about this system, I have found it magical. I'm also in a semi-rural area, maybe that is the key? Turn it off in cities? I Haven't noticed any cars flashing at me, it seems to dim appropriately.

Sorry you are running into this, and let us know what you eventually find!

·
Super Moderator
12,558 Posts
The Ridgeline uses a dedicated camera located in front of the rearview mirror for automatic high beam operation. Unlike other models, it does not use the windshield-mounted, "multi-purpose" camera that is used for other features like CMBS, LKAS, and RDM. Make sure there are no toll tags, parking permits, etc. located in front of it.

I see that your CMBS light is on. Is it malfunctioning, too, or did you turn it off?

·
Registered
19 Posts
View attachment 397180 View attachment 397181

John
I did .. the person who tinted my windows partially covered the sensor eye, it would only work sometimes so I thought it was faulty then a friend who also drives a RL pointed it out, I trimmed the tint back to completely uncover the sensor eye and it works great now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
As long as you didn't put anything over the camera, it is not your problem. It doesn't work and your warning messages prove it. Leave it at the dealer until they fix it, ask for a loaner, and start counting the days until the lemon law applies. If they can't fix it they'll have to give you a new vehicle, deducting only for mileage prior to the first time you reported the problem. Another option is to bring it back once or twice a year and start counting the repair attempts. You could drive the vehicle for years and then ask for your refund. It may vary by state, but I think it is four repair attempts for the same problem or something like 21 days out of service for any and all problems within the first 3 years.

Mine seems to work OK but I prefer to turn off my brights sooner than the truck will do it on its own.

·
Super Moderator
12,558 Posts
Leave it at the dealer until they fix it, ask for a loaner, and start counting the days until the lemon law applies.
For most state lemon laws, the defect has to "substantially impair the usability or safety" of the vehicle. Automatic high beams are primarily a convenience feature - not a required safety feature. The vehicle will run and drive perfectly fine and safely without the feature.

·
Registered
472 Posts
For most state lemon laws, the defect has to "substantially impair the usability or safety" of the vehicle. Automatic high beams are primarily a convenience feature - not a required safety feature. The vehicle will run and drive perfectly fine and safely without the feature.
zroger73, your reply was much more diplomatic than what I had initiated!

Bill

·
Registered
286 Posts
OK, you're right. But they can still expect Honda to fix it. It doesn't make sense for the dealer to just say it can't find anything wrong and give up when there is a problem indicated right there on the dash.

·
Super Moderator
12,558 Posts
OK, you're right. But they can still expect Honda to fix it. It doesn't make sense for the dealer to just say it can't find anything wrong and give up when there is a problem indicated right there on the dash.
Oh, I completely agree that the feature can and should work and that Honda is obligated to make it work as designed. If it's an intermittent issue, it might require a lot of patience, inconvenience, and annoyance until the dealer can reproduce the issue in order for a repair attempt to occur.

@JTB321, I see you've logged on, but haven't provided any updates since your last post. Did you get the truck back? Did the dealer find a problem? If so, what did they do?

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's not only a can and should conversation, it's an advertised feature conversation.

So if, say, they dont fix it, if you could figure out the value of that system, you could sue them in small claims court to get at least the value of that feature back. Of course, it likely may not be worth that amount of effort though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's not only a can and should conversation, it's an advertised feature conversation.

So if, say, they dont fix it, if you could figure out the value of that system, you could sue them in small claims court to get at least the value of that feature back. Of course, it likely may not be worth that amount of effort though.
The dealership had to reset something in the vehicle computer system/brain and it started working again. Also, you might try what's in the owner's manual about putting in the Auto setting and holding back the headlight lever for so many seconds. It resets it. That has worked for me on another occasion. This wouldn't work on mine until they did the reset.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
When I purchased my RL, the auto-dimming feature seemed to work much better than it is now. Lately, it has been dimming a lot later than it should when traffic is oncoming, so much so that I almost disabled it the other night.

·
Registered
286 Posts
When I purchased my RL, the auto-dimming feature seemed to work much better than it is now. Lately, it has been dimming a lot later than it should when traffic is oncoming, so much so that I almost disabled it the other night.
You can leave it on as a back-up in case you forget, but don't rely on it. Dim the high beams yourself when you think you are at the right distance.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You can leave it on as a back-up in case you forget, but don't rely on it. Dim the high beams yourself when you think you are at the right distance.
That was sort of my point. I'm not certain when to leave it on "auto". It has been failing to dim at times. It sucks that it and the rest of the "nanny" systems are so behind the competition.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
My biggest complaint with the auto-dim feature is that street signs reflecting my high beams dim my lights. I believe that I read that the 2020's are supposed to get street sign recognition (or something to that effect) which I presume would reduce this. (Of course, this goes back to the "feature conjecture" prevalent in a different thread!)

·
Super Moderator
12,558 Posts
My '18 Accord, '19 RDX, and '19 MX-5 all had automatic high beams and traffic sign recognition. Having TSR doesn't seem to affect the performance of automatic high beams one way or another. TSR frequently misrecognizes speed limit signs. In the MX-5, it's particularly annoying since there's a speed alarm that chimes if it thinks you're speeding.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts