Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
High beam/DRL 9005 bulbs turned brown in 1500 miles
Check your bulbs. I was replacing my high beam/DRL bulbs in my 2017 RTS with ZXE Sylvania. The OEM bulbs work just fine but both have this weird brown/orange color to the glass that doesn't wipe off with alcohol wipes. There has been no water intrusion and everything is stock/unmodified. I also never use my high beams so this burned in color is just from the DRL's being used normally. When looking through the bulb glass into a light source it looks red transparent. Can someone else with the non LED running lights check to see if this is only my truck or if it's common for these bulbs to run very hot and get a burned in color very fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I'm surprised that the RL is the biggest Honda I have ever owned and has little to no working room to change headlight bulbs:frown:. Someone else has also posted about this on the RL forum. If you recheck your new bulbs let us know if the problem persists. Did you change the low beams? A few years back with an Odyssey which essentially uses the same setup I used some Sylvanias that offered a little more light 30% or so but had an 850 hour life vs. 1000 hours for the O.E.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...s-modifications/155129-oem-hb3-bulbs-rtl.html

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Info from Sylvania: - they said "On cars that use the high beam as a DRL or that seldom use the high beam….the lamp never gets up to a steady state burn condition. The browning is halogen gases being deposited on the inside walls of the bulb"

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My 2010 RTL that uses a separate DRL In the bumper so I don't have the same setup. The reason I'm posting to this is the fact I changed my headlight bulbs to PIAA EXTREME WHITE bulbs. Not cheap, but the light output is well worth the expense. I am looking at replacing those with the PIAA leds when I need to replace them. Anybody looking to replace their highs and lows well not regret changing to PIAAs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts