Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever get an error message on your display while driving at night saying something like high beam system not operational or something like that (Sorry I don't have the exact wording)? Here's the thing; the high beams work just fine when I switch them on and off. But this informational error message appeared on my console screen, And now that I'm home and in the driveway I can't get the message to reappear.

Any ideas what this is all about? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Yep. Frost on the windshield will do it. It could also be frost / snow / ice on the sensor in the grill, from what I have been told.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The auto high beam sensor is on the back side of the rear view mirror on the drivers side of the mirror. You can feel or see a rectangular box on back side of the mirror. Make sure there is nothing blocking it, (dash cam, radar detector, park/expressway pass stickers, etc). You can disable the auto high beam by pulling and hold the high beam switch for about 45 seconds. Indicator will flash twice. To turn it back on do same, indicator will flash once.

·
Administrator
13,404 Posts
Yep. Frost on the windshield will do it. It could also be frost / snow / ice on the sensor in the grill, from what I have been told.
The radar unit behind the grill is used for the Collision Mitigation Braking System and Adaptive Cruise Control.

The auto high beam sensor is on the back side of the rear view mirror on the drivers side of the mirror. You can feel or see a rectangular box on back side of the mirror. Make sure there is nothing blocking it, (dash cam, radar detector, park/expressway pass stickers, etc). You can disable the auto high beam by pulling and hold the high beam switch for about 45 seconds. Indicator will flash twice. To turn it back on do same, indicator will flash once.
On the Ridgeline, the automatic high beam system uses a dedicated camera mounted ahead of the rearview mirror. This is a separate camera from the windshield mounted multil-purpose camera that is used for other Honda Sensing functions. The square opening on the forward-facing side of the rearview mirror is the ambient light sensor. The mirror will automatically darken only when the forward-facing sensor detects darkness and the rearward-facing sensor detected light.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The radar unit behind the grill is used for the Collision Mitigation Braking System and Adaptive Cruise Control.

On the Ridgeline, the automatic high beam system uses a dedicated camera mounted ahead of the rearview mirror. This is a separate camera from the windshield mounted multil-purpose camera that is used for other Honda Sensing functions. The square opening on the forward-facing side of the rearview mirror is the ambient light sensor. The mirror will automatically darken only when the forward-facing sensor detects darkness and the rearward-facing sensor detected light.
Hmmmm. I just recently applied a toll sticker in that area. Also, I was wondering why my infotainment display was not changing brightness from day and night modes. Wonder if this is all related. I'll remove that sticker and test.

Thanks for the tip!!!.

·
Administrator
13,404 Posts
Hmmmm. I just recently applied a toll sticker in that area. Also, I was wondering why my infotainment display was not changing brightness from day and night modes. Wonder if this is all related. I'll remove that sticker and test.

Thanks for the tip!!!.
The instrument panel brightness and automatic headlight on/off function (not automatic high beams) is handled by yet another light sensor - this one on the top, center of the dash just behind the windshield. :)

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
That mis-information was provided by my dealership!

·
Registered
549 Posts

My bad, thanks zroger73. Camera is part of the rear view mirror mount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts