Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Obsidian Blue 2020 RTL-E and do not understand the lighting system. The LED low beams are very bright but the high beams project an amber light and the automatic function does not work very well at all. I will have to admit though; in foggy conditions I can use the high beams. I have HID lights on my BMW X3 and the high beams light up the road with a lot more intensity.

·
Administrator
15,675 Posts
The RTL-E's low beams are LED projectors that produce a "cool" white light. The high beams are halogen reflectors that produce a "warm" white light. Many vehicles use a combination of LED and halogen headlights - only recently have LED's become bright and cheap enough to use for both low and high beam applications.

Despite the inherent color difference, the RTL-E's combination LED/halogen headlights are very effective and were given the highest possible rating by the IIHS.

According to IIHS testing, the Ridgeline's halogen high beams actually provide better illumination on straightaways than the X3's HID high beams.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Your low beams are led lights in led projectors

The high beams are just regular halogen bulbs.

Also, using high beams in fog usually makes driving conditions worse.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anyone convert their high beams to LED’s, if so any issues.
I personally wouldn't suggest doing LEDs without doing a retrofit.

But, If you are going to do it, you will get better performance out of HID bulbs compared to LEDs in the halogen projector headlights.

·
Administrator
15,675 Posts
Some of us have been very pleased with LED high beams from @XenonDepot.

I personally wouldn't suggest doing LEDs without doing a retrofit.
This is sound advice for low beams, but high beams shouldn't be on in traffic in the first place.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts

This is sound advice for low beams, but high beams shouldn't be on in traffic, anyway.
I just did the Xenon Depot high-beam LEDs this week on my 2019 RTL. Tried them this morning for the first time and they are quite a bit brighter than the oems, and seem to light up a lot more area off to the sides. I think they were well worth the $120. I also got the 3000k fog lights, but am waiting for the weather to warm up to install those.

Strangely enough, i had more trouble installing the passenger-side light than the driver-side light, even though i had to remove the air intake around the battery. The actual light install went fine, but i had a tougher time connecting the factory harness to the LED harness because of the short factory harness. My hands are too big to really get down in there and provide a backing force to the factory harness to click into the LED harness. I finally managed to get enough fingers around it to finagle the connections together. To be fair, i had limited space as the truck was tucked tightly in the garage (we've not had any warm weather here lately).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes.. I installed these from Amazon, they work well and are easy to install (easier if you have small hands).. They are bright and a huge improvement over stock..

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I installed LED high beams almost immediately when I purchased my '17 RL. I love them and have had no issues. Mine are similar to the ones bigbw purchased on Amazon in the post before mine.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The low beams are so good that on straight, open roads the high beams don't seem to add a lot of distance, but I can see further to the sides--important for spotting deer or other animals. On more twisty roads or with lots of trees the high beams seem to make a big difference.

I don't rely on the automatic function. It may work OK sometimes on straight roads but I prefer to be more courteous and dim my beams sooner than the auto function will do it, and on winding roads I can see an oncoming car's headlights long before the auto detector will and I don't want to come around a corner and blind another driver before the auto function can turn them off. I guess it is nice to have as a back-up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I installed the Auxito Y13 style in mine. Made a big difference and the beam profile seemed very similar to stock I think because there is no shrouding around the copper board the actual LEDs are mounted on. They do use a fan like many of the others do, and you can hear it when the engine is off. That might bother some people. You could do the Xenon Depots if you don't want the fan, or I think GTR has a fanless option as well, but they most likely won't be quite as bright. It's hard to say without side by side testing or a review where someone has used a light meter on them. The numbers that get advertised are just about useless without knowing the specific application.

·
Registered
119 Posts

This is sound advice for low beams, but high beams shouldn't be on in traffic in the first place.
I have zero faith in people not to drive with their high beams on when cars are coming at them.

Regardless of high beam/low beam, LEDs don't belong in halogen housing. People can do as they please of course, but technically it is against DOT regulations and you can fail an inspection for not having proper bulbs in the housings. Not that I have ever heard of anyone failing. But, it is a saftey issue.

Manufacturers auto high beam is a great idea but I have come across a handful of them that didn't work as intended and I have been blinded by oncoming traffic because of the system. Also, that they just leave their high beams on and damn anyone who is driving towards them.

·
Administrator
15,675 Posts
I have zero faith in people not to drive with their high beams on when cars are coming at them.

Regardless of high beam/low beam, LEDs don't belong in halogen housing. People can do as they please of course, but technically it is against DOT regulations and you can fail an inspection for not having proper bulbs in the housings. Not that I have ever heard of anyone failing. But, it is a saftey issue.

Manufacturers auto high beam is a great idea but I have come across a handful of them that didn't work as intended and I have been blinded by oncoming traffic because of the system. Also, that they just leave their high beams on and damn anyone who is driving towards them.

You won't get any argument from me - I'm a huge opponent of headlight modifications. The only reason I finally broke down and changed my high beams from halogen to LED Is because my other vehicles have full-LED headlights and I didn't like the color mismatch on the Ridgeline. It just so happened that they also allow me to see much farther down the road and to the sides which is a welcome bonus. Yes - they blow light everywhere, but I'm very cognizant of appropriate and courteous high beam use so traffic ahead hardly ever sees my high beams. Traffic behind me appreciates the extra lighting and I'm no longer defenseless against idiots with modified low beams or those who drive with their high beams on all the time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You won't get any argument from me - I'm a huge opponent of headlight modifications. The only reason I finally broke down and changed my high beams from halogen to LED Is because my other vehicles have full-LED headlights and I didn't like the color mismatch on the Ridgeline. It just so happened that they also allow me to see much farther down the road and to the sides which is a welcome bonus. Yes - they blow light everywhere, but I'm very cognizant of appropriate and courteous high beam use so traffic ahead hardly ever sees my high beams. Traffic behind me appreciates the extra lighting and I'm no longer defenseless against idiots with modified low beams or those who drive with their high beams on all the time.
I appreciate your honesty. I guess I have had bad experiences with drivers using improper head lights and driving with high beams on blinding me.

I'm happy to hear you're responsible with your headlights. I wish everyone was.

I do think auto manufacturers need to be held to a higher standard with the poor level of light their headlights put out. I know it's a test with IIHS but I don't think it's enough. I feel there needs to be a standard. It's a serious safety issue, especially in parts of the country where road lighting is poor, or doesn't exist at all.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I do think auto manufacturers need to be held to a higher standard with the poor level of light their headlights put out. I know it's a test with IIHS but I don't think it's enough. I feel there needs to be a standard. It's a serious safety issue, especially in parts of the country where road lighting is poor, or doesn't exist at all.
I apologize for how snide this is going to sound, but what we absolutely do not need is more regulations! :mad:

Bill

·
Administrator
15,675 Posts
I appreciate your honesty. I guess I have had bad experiences with drivers using improper head lights and driving with high beams on blinding me.

I'm happy to hear you're responsible with your headlights. I wish everyone was.

Agreed once again - our headlight standards are inadequate and outdated at best. I can't drive my low-sitting Miata at night because I'm blinded by most factory LED low-beams - particularly those on Ford and Chevrolet pickups. And, whoever at Ford approved the quad-low-beam halogen headlights on their super duty trucks needs to be fired. Those are as bad or worse than some aftermarket LED's!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I apologize for how snide this is going to sound, but what we absolutely do not need is more regulations! :mad:

Bill
I normally would not disagree. But this is a serious saftey issue which results in thousands of deaths per year due to improper lighting. Should we expect the ever reliable auto industry to regulate itself?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Agreed once again - our headlight standards are inadequate and outdated at best. I can't drive my low-sitting Miata at night because I'm blinded by most factory LED low-beams - particularly those on Ford and Chevrolet pickups. And, whoever at Ford approved the quad-low-beam halogen headlights on their super duty trucks needs to be fired. Those are as bad or worse than some aftermarket LED's!
My fiance has a civic. Whenever I drive it, it's terrible. I'm blinded by so many drivers. People should also be required to learn to adjust their headlights. The misalignments are brutal.

·
Administrator
15,675 Posts
People should also be required to learn to adjust their headlights. The misalignments are brutal.
When I was a kid, I used to help my grandfather check and adjust headlight aim using a machine made for that purpose. I'm not sure if it was required by our state inspection back then (it's definitely not now) or if he just did it as a courtesy for customers getting their vehicles inspected.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I normally would not disagree. But this is a serious saftey issue which results in thousands of deaths per year due to improper lighting.
What data do you have to support this claim? On the flip side, how many deaths are there due to folks installing these overly bright headlights that blind oncoming traffic? My choice would be to just slow down while using "standard" headlights rather than having to avert my eyes constantly having to look into those obnoxiously bright headlights folks are installing!

Bill

1 - 20 of 79 Posts