Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
That would be Gen 2 Ridgeline. I wouldn't know about the Gen 1s.

I studied up on the Gen1 LED replacements and settled on the Lightning Dark ones, purchased from Amazon. They are part of the video linked several posts back.
Notes, install and what became apparent...
I have no affiliation with any lighting manufacturer
The auto lighting reviewers on-line repeatedly say that light generation from an emitter with the same geometry as the original halogens is best in reflector housings.
Gen 1 Ridge = reflectors for both high and low beam.
The Gen 1 has dual purpose bulbs for low/high beams. A downward aiming reflector on the high beam filament focuses the light on the lower reflector housing generating the high beam pattern.
The Lightning Dark LED bulbs have a dual emitter design with equivalent spacing/size as the halogen filaments and a similar reflector on the emitter for the high beams.
I first marked my garage walls with blue masking tape, noting the hotspot and cut off of the OE halogens.
I installed the LEDs fully expecting housing adjustments would be necessary to get things sorted similar to the OE. This was not the case. (Wish I had documented and took pictures of the process)
As suggested by the reviewers, the LED with similar geometry put out a similar pattern with no adjustment required. The only difference in pattern I noted was slight, in the far outside of the patterns reach there were dim "horns" that were not there in the OE bulbs.
As expected, the light is brighter and whiter than the aged halogens. The halogens were original to the vehicle from 2009, and likely have faded considerably.

I am now thinking of making the same move with my wife's Highlander low beam projectors, upgrading the lumen output without and measuring for, but not expecting a pattern shift.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone with a 2020 RTL-E swapped out their high beams for LED's yet? Looks like everyone on this thread that has swapped out has a 2019 or earlier.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Has anyone with a 2020 RTL-E swapped out their high beams for LED's yet? Looks like everyone on this thread that has swapped out has a 2019 or earlier.
2020 uses the same HB3 bulb as the 2017-2019.

We are using these on are 2017.

Reactions: TNFurb

·
Registered
8 Posts
I swapped out my 2020 rtl e halogens and fog lamps with led beamtechs from Amazon. Imo, it should have came that way from the factory.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Swapped out my High Beams for the Cougar LEDs that have no fans. First pic is with the Cougar LEDs, the second pic is with the original halogens.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
167 Posts
That's true for the RT, Sport, and RTL. The RTL-T, RTL-E, and BE use LED strips as DRL's.
Senior moment. I learned that when I found my Sport had the look of the eyebrow LEDs, but they didn't light.
Never ceases to amaze me where/what manufactures leave out on lower trim levels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You won't get any argument from me - I'm a huge opponent of headlight modifications. The only reason I finally broke down and changed my high beams from halogen to LED Is because my other vehicles have full-LED headlights and I didn't like the color mismatch on the Ridgeline. It just so happened that they also allow me to see much farther down the road and to the sides which is a welcome bonus. Yes - they blow light everywhere, but I'm very cognizant of appropriate and courteous high beam use so traffic ahead hardly ever sees my high beams. Traffic behind me appreciates the extra lighting and I'm no longer defenseless against idiots with modified low beams or those who drive with their high beams on all the time.

·
Administrator
15,675 Posts
Don't do as I do...do as I say...what a crock...
Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club and congratulations on your first post despite your misunderstanding. :)

Please allow me to clarify and explain something. I do not support LED or HID low-beam retrofits since your low-beams should always be on at night - you shouldn't turn them off when there is oncoming or leading traffic. High-beam quality should be of no consequence to oncoming or leading traffic because you shouldn't have your high beams on when approaching or following other vehicles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Elaborate on your assessment please. I am curious how to came to that conclusion.
I guess I'm just one of those, like many others I suspect...that when I come to a site like this seeking information on how to do something like how to change fog lights or high beam headlights (which lights to use) I'm not soliciting opinions from the site police on what is right or wrong or how I should run my car or truck in my case or when I should use my fog lamps or high beams or if they should be on at the same time or not...I am just seeking information on how to do it...but after receiving these opinions of what NOT to do I read of what some, not all posters have modified their own vehicles and voiced their opinions...that post was not pointed at that guy it was just in general and I should have not done it, but it is true as what I am saying here....these sites are all the same, you can't ask a simple question without getting 100 different opinions why or why not to do something...many times opinions are requested and needed but most times not....in my case I just want to know bulbs do I need for my 2020 Ridgeline high beams to get rid of those dim yellow bulbs...

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,020 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. Light bulbs, engine oil, engine oil filter, air filter, wax, fuel in the tank, tires, etc etc are some of the topics that garner much attention and sees various responses. Many are people's apprehension towards something, while other responses are in favor of something that others find ridiculous. Online communities/forums such as this, as you know, have long been around before facebook communities started to take center stage.

So take the responses for what they are worth. Try to see if there is merit in their response and move on and away from ill founded responses. I have tried my part in educating folks here and Facebook and many times it is not fruitful.

Thanks again for stating your perspective and hope to see your continued involvement on ROC. Welcome.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Deep Scarlet Pearl
57 Posts
Swapped out my High Beams for the Cougar LEDs that have no fans. First pic is with the Cougar LEDs, the second pic is with the original halogens.
Because of the excellent pics you posted that showed the beam pattern is not higher and offensive to oncoming traffic until I can switch back to low beam, I just ordered the Cougar high beams for my 2020 RTL-E. I was planning to merely replace my halogens with a halogen with a "whiter" beam but between Sylvania and Philips the ratings for the halogen replacements left a lot to be desired. The price was about the same as LED also.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Curious if just the dimmer function is available. I have LED replacements for the high beams on my RTL, they work well and don't flicker, but they are way too bright for daytime (DRL) use.

I don't know what Honda was thinking when they decided high beams would make for good DRLs. I manually turn my lights on during the day so that I don't irritate other drivers with those intense high beams.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts