Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I had an 09 RT that I sold several years ago and am wanting to get back in a Ridgeline. I am looking to do it cheaply, and have been looking at 13-14 RTL models, but secretly wanting a Gen 2 RTL-E. I have come across two Black Editions in my area but with high miles. Both are 2017s, with around 80k miles, more about 24k. The price is tempting, but the miles worry me. Any thoughts on a higher mileage (and ultimately cheaper) Gen 2? I am not crazy about black, but the Black Edition has all the features I would want from the RTL-E. Thanks!

·
Administrator
15,755 Posts
Perhaps the biggest concern with the G2 Ridgeline is clogged/leaking fuel injectors due to leftover manufacturing debris. The symptoms generally occur right after the warranty is up and the repair typically runs $1,500-$1,800. There have been some transmission issues - mostly due to a pressure sensor and failure generally occurs early on while still under warranty. Otherwise, there haven't been any major, epidemic reliability problems.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For reference, I just made this bet. I bought a 2017 RTL-E with 79k miles for $23 thousand from a dealer. It had the right combination of features and price for me. Only time will tell, but all ok for the last 30 Days! ?

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,044 Posts
I went through a similar situation almost 10 years ago to the day in early 2010. I was looking for a new-to-me vehicle and weighing my options. I was looking at slightly older (04-05) cars and SUV's for more affordable prices, but I kept coming back to the RL. I found my 07 with 75k miles from a private party for a great price and simply couldn't pass it up. 100,000 miles later, she's still happily rolling along.

Your situation is a little different because you know how good, reliable, and simple the G1 RL's are, but the G2 is alluring due to its upgraded tech, more powerful engine, one extra gear in the transmission, and better AWD system. I wouldn't be too terribly afraid of the higher miles on a 17 as long as it's been well maintained. At the same time, all of the techie gadgets and more complex systems worry me a bit. The G1 is just so much more simple and the non direct injected J35 with the 5AT transmission is a long tried and true combination. Drive them both back to back to get a really good feel for which one you like more.

Reactions: Nittany

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For reference, I just made this bet. I bought a 2017 RTL-E with 79k miles for $23 thousand from a dealer. It had the right combination of features and price for me. Only time will tell, but all ok for the last 30 Days! ?
Interesting. Thats a great price!

I went through a similar situation almost 10 years ago to the day in early 2010. I was looking for a new-to-me vehicle and weighing my options. I was looking at slightly older (04-05) cars and SUV's for more affordable prices, but I kept coming back to the RL. I found my 07 with 75k miles from a private party for a great price and simply couldn't pass it up. 100,000 miles later, she's still happily rolling along.

Your situation is a little different because you know how good, reliable, and simple the G1 RL's are, but the G2 is alluring due to its upgraded tech, more powerful engine, one extra gear in the transmission, and better AWD system. I wouldn't be too terribly afraid of the higher miles on a 17 as long as it's been well maintained. At the same time, all of the techie gadgets and more complex systems worry me a bit. The G1 is just so much more simple and the non direct injected J35 with the 5AT transmission is a long tried and true combination. Drive them both back to back to get a really good feel for which one you like more.
Thanks. I really like the way the Gen 2 drives. I have been looking at some 2013/14 RTLs and they are honestly in the 18-21k range, with 65-100k miles. I feel like if I am getting that high I should go towards the Gen 2. If I could get a decent RTL (2012-14) for 12ish, then I feel like this becomes a different conversation.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,044 Posts
Thanks. I really like the way the Gen 2 drives. I have been looking at some 2013/14 RTLs and they are honestly in the 18-21k range, with 65-100k miles. I feel like if I am getting that high I should go towards the Gen 2. If I could get a decent RTL (2012-14) for 12ish, then I feel like this becomes a different conversation.
When I bought my 07 in early 2010, it was via a private party. I bought it for $16k when it booked for $23,500 at the time. I thought I got an absolute steal. These things hold their value extremely well and there is almost a cult following for the G1's. People who know how good they are either own them or want them. Comparatively, there aren't many of them out there, so finding a good used example is getting more and more difficult.

When it comes down to it, it really completely depends on which generation you like more. Yes, the 12-14 G1's are getting up there in age now, but they've been proven (with only a few exceptions) to be extremely reliable. There's no real indication that the G2's will be unreliable in the long term, but they've also shown quite a few more smaller issues with electronics and hardware. More tech and complexity usually means the more likelihood something will go wrong. Of course, this is just my interpretation. If you find a 13 or 14 RTL in the $16-20k range with higher miles, timing belt service done, and immaculate maintenance history, I think it would be worth every single penny over a used 17 or 18 at $24-28k.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,599 Posts
Hi there! I had an 09 RT that I sold several years ago and am wanting to get back in a Ridgeline. I am looking to do it cheaply, and have been looking at 13-14 RTL models, but secretly wanting a Gen 2 RTL-E. I have come across two Black Editions in my area but with high miles. Both are 2017s, with around 80k miles, more about 24k. The price is tempting, but the miles worry me. Any thoughts on a higher mileage (and ultimately cheaper) Gen 2? I am not crazy about black, but the Black Edition has all the features I would want from the RTL-E. Thanks!
You might PM @henni. That family usually has some late model G1 Ridgelines with very low miles and sell them occasionally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi! I am in the same boat here. Planning to look at a 2017 FWD RTL-T with 90k miles for under 20k tomorrow. Will definitely ask about service records.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck! Thats a good price for the mileage. I am thinking 24-25k with 80k+ miles is just too high right now.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
147 Posts
Hi! I am in the same boat here. Planning to look at a 2017 FWD RTL-T with 90k miles for under 20k tomorrow. Will definitely ask about service records.
Sounds like a good price. Just remember to budget in some $$ for your timing belt and water pump replacement in about 15K miles.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have come across two Black Editions in my area but with high miles. Both are 2017s, with around 80k miles, more about 24k. The price is tempting, but the miles worry me.
Heck, only 80,000 miles? In this day and age they are just getting broken in properly! :)

Bill

·
Registered
147 Posts
I If I could get a decent RTL (2012-14) for 12ish, then I feel like this becomes a different conversation.
That's pushing 7 years for the timing belt, so if you find one, especially if it's approaching 100K, find out if that work has been done. Demand a receipt if the owner says it has; if no receipt, walk. If not, then budget for that work including water pump, tensioner, drive belt, and main/oil pump seal inspections. Peace of mind with an interference engine.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,599 Posts
I realize everyone has their comfort zone about changing the timing belt. I just changed mine at 120k miles and 12 years old. I couldn't distinguish it from a new one. Normal service, garaged, if that makes a difference.

Below pic is the old belt. I couldn't see any sign of wear or cracks. Maybe it was ready to let go... but I don't think so. ;)

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
147 Posts
I realize everyone has their comfort zone about changing the timing belt. I just changed mine at 120k miles and 12 years old. I couldn't distinguish it from a new one. Normal service, garaged, if that makes a difference.
Where one lives is also a factor: dry climates and those with extremes of heat or cold up can also factor into TB wear. 7 years or 105K is a general guideline. Having seen the damage a snapped timing belt can do to an interference engine, however, I follow those guidelines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts