Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Got my Ridgeline BE last week and so far so good. Except one annoying problem: a high pitch almost-not-there-ringing-sound in the cabin. I suspected that it was the ANC and disabled it but it does not seem to help. I have a hard time locating the origin of the sound. At first I thought that it might be coming from the two tweeters but after covering them, the high pitch sound seems to still come from somewhere. Usually I'm listening to the radio so I don't hear it but when I just want quiet, its like i have tinnitus. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Got my Ridgeline BE last week and so far so good. Except one annoying problem: a high pitch almost-not-there-ringing-sound in the cabin. I suspected that it was the ANC and disabled it but it does not seem to help. I have a hard time locating the origin of the sound. At first I thought that it might be coming from the two tweeters but after covering them, the high pitch sound seems to still come from somewhere. Usually I'm listening to the radio so I don't hear it but when I just want quiet, its like i have tinnitus. Anyone have any ideas?
Is it at highway speeds? Above 70ish? I just drove home a new RTL-T with 3 miles on it, does the same thing. I've seen others report the same. Sounds electronic to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, my truck makes this sound even when parked. Its definitely an electronic issue. Once you turn off the engine the sound goes away completely. It is either from the tweeters having some kind of interference or the ANC having problems.

·
Registered
328 Posts
FYI, it's not the OEM tires. I got new tires and the sound is still there. It's very hard to hear on most roads. I'm really not that concerned about it.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
If the sound is still there after you go in your house, or with your fingers in your ears while sitting in your truck; it may be tinnitus.

Sorry guys, couldn't resist. Let's see how many of you have to look up tinnitus :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I have a high pitched sound (electronic noise) coming from the speakers--and not road noise. I'll explain. In my Ridgeline B.E. it's from the phone. Perform this test. Park in a quiet area, with radio volume very low. Listen. Now have someone phone your bluetooth connected phone. Listen. Do you hear the sound coming from the speakers? Now here is the super annoying bit: hang up. On my truck and the one in the showroom the high pitched sound keeps playing. Only way to stop it is turn off the truck and restart it. Dealer tells me Honda is working on it, but it has been over 2 months. Very annoying. The dealer and I tried 2 different phones and 2 different trucks. Same problem.

If others are hearing the same thing, please hassle your dealer and Honda, so maybe they will truly try to resolve this (and the many other fours identified issues).

Update: checked several other Ridgelines on the lot and they all make this sound. However, some are louder than others. Also, even the Honda Pilot has this issue.

Happy trucking!

RY

·
Registered
55 Posts
No idea about the previous statement, however I know that my RTL E has a coil whine noise coming from driver and passenger front door speakers. Other speaker do it too, but really faint and not noticeable. Place your ear on the door speaker to hear it. Its only obvious in quiet conditions and when radio inst playing anything... pretty obvious when car is on in accessory mode. Seems like a little thing, but always listening for it is driving me nuts.

I asked dealer to look at it. They found fuses were loose and thought that fixed it, but nope its still there. It sounds like a noisy cheap D class amp. I'm going to ask them to see if replacing the amp helps next.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have this sound. I thought it was just my truck. But it's on my dad too. It does not go away even with the audio off. It's easier to hear with audio off. It come on 5 sec after the HU power on. Accessories, or engine on, I hear this sound.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Curious if anyone DOESNT have this sound in RTLE or BE (more powerful amp). Thinking about asking dealer to replace the amp, but perhaps that might cause more quirks. Sounds like it might be normal.

To check, put your ear on the door speakers. Mine have obvious high pitch ringing sound (kind of like coil whine).

·
Registered
153 Posts
TSB 16-095 for all 2017 Ridgeline RTLE and Black

High pitched buzzing/alternator feedback from speakers due to insufficient shielding of dash wiring harness.

All-day job to remove dash, scratch it up, break a few plastic bits, leave out a few screws, and replace the whole main wiring harness. >:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Honda ridgeline Black... I have 20,000 kms on it and it has a high pitch electrical noise when ever the truck is running or in accessoires. When im driving it seems like the electrical sound gets louder. The dealer told me all the ridglines have this issue and its not a problem so they can fix it.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have this issue with my BE as well. The sound has been there since day one and with only 250 miles in, I'm already annoyed.

At the dealer, I had the sales guy listen for it and he noticed it although it was difficult for him. We even looked at another BE on the lot and it had the same exact issue. We both thought it was the head unit.

Later on I did that the sound doesn't seem to be coming from the NAV unit itself, rather the front speakers/woofers like others have said (not the tweeters or rear speakers for me though). The sound seems "centered" because of this which made me believe at first it was the stereo unit.

Not sure how to confirm if it's the speakers, the wiring, or the unit itself without tearing everything apart. I can ask a local car stereo shop and see what they say. Will update if I find anything.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not sure how to confirm if it's the speakers, the wiring, or the unit itself without tearing everything apart. I can ask a local car stereo shop and see what they say. Will update if I find anything.
The TSB say to pull a specific fuse....I think tis' the amplifier fuse....to see if the noise stops. If so it says to replace the whole dash wiring harness due to insufficiently shielding causing the amplifier to pickup a high pitched noise from other wiring in the dash.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The TSB say to pull a specific fuse....I think tis' the amplifier fuse....to see if the noise stops. If so it says to replace the whole dash wiring harness due to insufficiently shielding causing the amplifier to pickup a high pitched noise from other wiring in the dash.
Thanks for the info. I did some research to find out where the fuse is and which one it is I think and I may have found it. Sadly (at 27), I am very inexperienced when it comes to this stuff, and I had no idea how the heck to remove this fuse.

I tried removing what looks to be some sort of cover (probably something more important than that) but it was really on there. Even if I did manage to remove it, what the heck is that fuse? It's like a bunch of smaller fuses combined.

Don't think I'm educated enough for this so I'll just hassle the dealer and see what they'll do, I'd rather not mess anything up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All, I've been following the thread for a while and thought I'd share my experience with the high pitch ringing noise. As some of you have mentioned, it is a very annoying and distracting noise once you "hone in" on it. I find it nearly impossible to drive in the truck without pumping up the volume on the audio system and even then I can still hear the noise underneath the music.

I first started hearing the noise a few days after I purchased my BE earlier this year. I mentioned it to the dealership and took it in for them to listen to, but they couldn't "hear it" but said they would look into it when I brought it in a few days later for some other things. At that time I had not localized it to coming from the speakers so I could understand why it was hard for them to hear. Later that same day I realized that the sound always started a few seconds after turning on the ignition and when the Honda logo shows up on the head unit. This led me to pull the audio system fuse to at least narrow down the sub-system and I was able to confirm that the noise was being emitted from a speaker. I checked all the drivers side speakers to determine that it was indeed coming from the front driver side speaker only (I didn't check the passenger side at this time). I called the dealership back and they thanked me for diagnosing the issue and said that I should bring it in so they can fix it.

When I took it in, they said that they can't hear anything at all coming from the speakers but they believed me and they would research it. I pointed them in the direction of the wiring harness TSB but told them that they should verify if my car's symptoms match the TSB before taking action. A few weeks later they called me and said the wiring harness is in and they want to replace it. Well the repair happened and the sound was still there AND they managed to damage quite a number of panels that still don't fit together correctly.

After I complained they asked me whether they should change the speakers next. This was a little jarring since they should be the ones diagnosing the problem and I already have a full-time job :smile:. I told them they should do whatever it takes to make the sound go away. Well I took it back to them and they changed out the front driver side door speaker but for some reason also changed out the front driver side column speaker as well (it showed no issue). I guess they wanted to make double sure the noise was gone. Of course I got the car back and the noise was still there. Luckily there was someone from the dealership who was willing to actually listen to the noise and confirmed to me that he "could hear it" and that "there is no noise coming from this (loaner) CR-V, that (Ridgeline noise) definitely sounds wrong". We checked all the speakers together and this was when I determined the sound was also coming out of the front passenger side door speaker as well.

The service department decided to contact Honda Tech Line at this point and said they would get back to me. A month passed and I decided to reach out and they said there is a new amplifier sitting with my name on it (who knows how long it was sitting there, they never bothered to contact me). So I scheduled to have it swapped out. On repair day I once again wanted to make sure someone could hear the noise prior to repair. A different service team member came over and attempted to listen and said he could hear what I was describing. I politely asked: "Could you please check and make sure this noise is gone after the amplifier change?" Well I got the truck back a few days later and they confirmed the noise was gone....but you guessed it...the noise was still there when I inspected the vehcie!!!

At this point I asked the service manager if we could go check another Ridgeline on the lot to see if it also made the noise. Not sure the exact model, I think it was an RLT-E, and it also emits the same noise out of both the front driver and front passenger door speakers. This finding, in addition to the other posts on this thread, leads me to believe this is a design flaw somewhere in the chain from the head unit to the front door speakers and probably not a manufacturing flaw on my vehicle. I need to check some more vehicles on the lot and may do so in the next few days.

If I would have known from the beginning that the dealership/Honda wasn't going to do the basic due diligence in diagnosing the issue, I would have done the speaker check on other Ridgelines myself and also much much sooner. It would have saved me a lot of time and headache. At this point the dealership and Honda (I've opened a case with them) are waiting on the Tech Line to get back to them. I'm going to wait to hear what Honda Tech Line has to say but this is honestly starting to get a little ridiculous.

In the last few days I've analyzed the noise using a spectrum analyzer app (SpectrumView). This first screenshot shows the amplitude of frequencies after the ignition has been turned on:

pre-noise.jpg

and here is once the noise starts to emit:

during noise.jpg .

Note that the highest amplitude frequency is around 8200Hz - which if you'll search youtube is a very very annoying noise - this just isn't acceptable. I've also checked a few other types of cars (Lexus RDX, Acura MDX) with the spectrum analyzer app and can confirm what my ears tell me, that there are no unusual spikes in amplitude for any particular frequency when the audio system is powered on.

So this leads me to....have any of you had any success in getting this issue resolved? I'd love to hear anything positive at this point.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post...

·
Registered
42 Posts
jimpac4,

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to tell us of your experience. This really helps a lot.

I've had my BE for four months now with this noise and it's beyond irritating. Sadly, I've only gone as far as figuring out where the noise is coming from and that other BE's have the same noise.

So you have had the wiring harness, speakers, AND amplifier replaced and still have the noise?! That's upsetting. I really hope you find something out and get it fixed soon. I'm wondering what Honda Tech will come up with.

I'm almost ready to just replace the whole stereo system as IMO it's not very good anyways, if only I could afford it haha.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts