Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Ridgeline that has started making this high pitched sound when I back up. It sounds like metal on metal. I don't think its the brakes because it only happens when I back up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Very well could be brakes. Caliper hanging up slightly will cause this. It may not be bad enough yet to cause a problem going forward. Also check to be sure the parking brake is fully disengaged.

Does this happen when you first get going and the truck has not been driven in a few hours, or is happening all the time when in reverse?

I have noticed on my truck that the brake rotors rust fairly quickly when it is parked in a damp area for even a just a day. The rust comes off after a few applications of the brakes but it makes a high pitched scraping noise until it does come off.

If the noise gets worse or happens while going forward you may need brakes. Your truck is old enough that I would not be surprised if you needed the brakes serviced or replaced.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I had exactly same issue with my Silverado and also said - not brakes, as it's only when backing up. Was bad pads, basically to the metal and sticky caliper pass side.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
It's the wear limiter on the brake pads id say. Makes a really annoying noise and when it first starts it's usually only when backing up, or so I have found. Check yer pads at all four wheels!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My 2008 did something similar. When backing up it made a hollow ringing sound, not a grinding sound. Almost like rubbing your wet figner on the rim of a glass and getting that weird sound. Turned out to be sticking pins on the rear calipers, made the rotors ring. Only did it in reverse. Removes the tires, removed the rear calipers, relubed the pins with a high quality greas, not silicone. Never made the sound again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts