Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a high pitched whistle coming from the rear passenger area,we have found it!
It is the air coming through the area above the top brake light. Fix: remove the plastic strip that covers the back-up brake, then apply a thin strip of silicon water proof caulking along the edge of the truck where the cover fits back on. Reattach the cover and viola, no whistle. It took us 4 years to find it and multiple trips to the dealer to be told they either didn't hear it or didn't know how to fix it. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,679 Posts
Make sure you use new clips to re-attach the rear roof trim. (see step 6) Else you may lose the panel at speed on the highway.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
If you have a high pitched whistle coming from the rear passenger area,we have found it!
It is the air coming through the area above the top brake light. Fix: remove the plastic strip that covers the back-up brake, then apply a thin strip of silicon water proof caulking along the edge of the truck where the cover fits back on. Reattach the cover and viola, no whistle. It took us 4 years to find it and multiple trips to the dealer to be told they either didn't hear it or didn't know how to fix it. Good luck.
I stuffed window screen spline into the groove between the roofline and plastic cover. Stopped the howl. If that works, then using silicon caulking is certainly a more viable permanent solution.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Think we all have the high pitched sound ?? not sure is later models were changed but I have gotten used to it and it seems if you open back window a crack it goes away.... just turn your music up and let her rip...

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Think we all have the high pitched sound ?? not sure is later models were changed but I have gotten used to it and it seems if you open back window a crack it goes away.... just turn your music up and let her rip...
No whistle on my '06.... fwiw.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,679 Posts
None on my 2008 either, or else the frequency is out of my range of hearing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I was troubleshooting this, opening the back glass only made it louder. This is how I determined the sound was definitely coming from the back. Problem is, after I got rid of that whistling using the screen spine trick I found out there's another whistling coming from the front. After realizing it comes and goes with pressing the gas pedal I did a search and people say it's the transmission. Too bad it's right in that speed sweet spot, between 55-65. Once I get to 70 it goes away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts