Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my RL is parked in front of the house minding its own business. I watch my neighbor get in his car , pull out from the parked position and hit my RL. Then my neighbor proceeds to drive away. I go next door to my neighbor's house and knock. My neighbor's mom answers the door and offers to get her husband. He cooperates and calls his son. I speak to the boy who hit my RL and he refuses to return to the scene. His father provides the insurance policy number and eventually the boy gives me the info I need to complete the police report. RL is banged up and she's only 8 months old. Luckily it's only minor damage. That's why I don't like leaving the RL parked on the street. Others will mistreat her. Also lucky I witnessed the whole thing. ImageUploadedByAG Free1428990561.498947.jpg

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
Repair or replace that bumper cover. If repaired will it ever be the same?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,392 Posts
That sucks, I've had to repair 3 different areas of body damage on my RL in it's 10 years, only one was due to our mistake, Unfortunately, I'm thinking I've paid for about $3k worth of repairs rather than deal with the insurance.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yeah.... knowing we'd have her a bunch of years, I have always parked in "the boonies" when out & about..... preference to 'end' spots. Been lucky so far, with only a few very slight 'scuff' marks, that almost look like they could easily be from a errant bicycle as they could be a car door. I could probably polish them out, but haven't been that industrious! Ha... :)
I'd be bummed for sure if somebody banged & bounced as you experienced. Just be glad it wasn't serious. Should be like new when fixed up.... just be sure they use an OEM bumper cover if they end up replacing it..... don't settle for less (you don't have to since it's the "other guy's" insurance paying... you can demand OEM & get it... their insurance is on the hook to pay the bill, wherever you get it fixed).

·
Registered
268 Posts
I also park far away. Pisses my wife off. The only dent I have is when she was driving it and park in a primo spot at Walgreens. People do not give a sh** any more. They fling those doors open, probably while on the phone.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I always park as far away from other cars as possible. It is, however, never far enough. I still come out of the store and another car is right next to me. Most times there are eight or ten open spots around me, but this person still has to park right next to me. I came to the conclusion the drivers do this just to screw with me.

This just happened at Home Depot. Again, parked away from everyone. Came out and a pickup trunk is five inches from my front bumper. I am glad he (or possibly she) is very good at judging the front end of their vehicle.

I guess people see it is a truck and just think, "it is a pickup truck, who cares."

·
Registered
790 Posts
Wish bad drivers could not get driver licenses, I also don't like leaving mine on the street as much as possible like one time at a parking lot my viper remote alerted me that some one bumped into my RL, and it must of been hard because it is not sensitive.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
That cover is very repairable based on what I can see in the photo.
Quite possibly with zero filler.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,877 Posts
So my RL is parked in front of the house minding its own business. I watch my neighbor get in his car , pull out from the parked position and hit my RL. Then my neighbor proceeds to drive away. I go next door to my neighbor's house and knock. My neighbor's mom answers the door and offers to get her husband. He cooperates and calls his son. I speak to the boy who hit my RL and he refuses to return to the scene. His father provides the insurance policy number and eventually the boy gives me the info I need to complete the police report. RL is banged up and she's only 8 months old. Luckily it's only minor damage. That's why I don't like leaving the RL parked on the street. Others will mistreat her. Also lucky I witnessed the whole thing. View attachment 187362
Something similar happened to my older daughter. She was in a restaurant and came out to find some similar damage... only worse. It split her bumper cover and damaged the backup sensors such that one is even missing. No witnesses and no video... so it's on her to get it fixed.

I'm thinking somebody wasn't raised right.

Regarding parking away from other vehicles? Years ago I had a brand new Toyota Celica. Parked it way away from other vehicles. Came back out to find the worst door ding I've even seen. And no other cars in the vicinity.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Regarding parking away from other vehicles? Years ago I had a brand new Toyota Celica. Parked it way away from other vehicles. Came back out to find the worst door ding I've even seen. And no other cars in the vicinity.
It is amazing how this happens. I believe this is the result of an organized nationwide group that does this just to screw with us. Sounds good, but I think it just goes back to the basic fact that some people just don't care about their cars or the cars parked next to them.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Yup, there are people that will seek vengeance on new car owners. It kills them to be reminded that they need to get out and work to buy new things.
And then there are just bad people and can also be a protest against buying 'ferrin cars'.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My back tire had a roofing nail in the side of it. No way I ran over it because it was an inch from the rim lip. Some jackass having fun I imagine. Luckily I found an exact match on eBay with the exact amount of tread for $105. Gave me a reason to put the new sensors in so I thank them for the motivation.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,074 Posts
I would hope the boy would be getting the third degree by his parents. Then again, who knows. Parenting styles and discipline seem to vary greatly these days. Had this been me at 17-18 years old, I would have gotten my @$$ beaten.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Back into the neighbor's vehicle and leave. No accountability for the action, just drive off.

What I have noticed (my opinion) in today's society involving children and some younger parents is the lack of accountability. It is always the fault of someone or something else. The "not my child syndrome."

Later in life it will be said that the system failed them. Let's see, quit school and cannot get a job because skills are lacking. Systems fault. More examples can be listed, but I think we get the point.

Back to accountability, if you did it, own up to it. Be responsible for your actions. This statement should come up every time a Xbox or a computer is turned on. Better yet, displayed on the Iphones.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
^^^ Wish there were a "Like" button on here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would hope the boy would be getting the third degree by his parents. Then again, who knows. Parenting styles and discipline seem to vary greatly these days. Had this been me at 17-18 years old, I would have gotten my @$$ beaten.

Some additional info....
The boy is 26 yoa. I call him a boy because he is 26 and still living at home with his parents, leaving the scene of an accident and seems like a child.
Also , took the car to auto repair shop. The estimated damage is $430, just under my deductible.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Some additional info....
The boy is 26 yoa. I call him a boy because he is 26 and still living at home with his parents, leaving the scene of an accident and seems like a child.
Also , took the car to auto repair shop. The estimated damage is $430, just under my deductible.
Likely a classic case of a sheltered child. I would give the bill directly to the parents and have them decide how to pay it. You shouldn't have to pay for something that isn't your fault. I would get the police involved as well so there's documentation of what happened.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Small claims Court will handle everything. In PA anyway...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts