Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Honda have their own? Searching the forum didn't turn up anything. Not much in the aftermarket I like. I don't need glowing skull eyes or an outboard propeller. Need one for the wife's Pilot too.

· Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,815 Posts
Search eBay for 'Honda hitch plug'. This first is a pic of the Honda one. Personally I prefer the wireless Audiovox Hitch Scan. It has saved my tail a few times and often comes up for sale as old new stock for $79. The Ford equivalent goes for around $179.

Attachments

· Registered
58 Posts
Search eBay for 'Honda hitch plug'. This first is a pic of the Honda one. Personally I prefer the wireless Audiovox Hitch Scan. It has saved my tail a few times and often comes up for sale as old new stock for $79. The Ford equivalent goes for around $179.
Is the Audiovox Hitch Scan the same as Hitchscan? , the picture look like the Hitchscan

"sale as old new stock for $79" Where do you find this?

Thanks

P.S. Also, Anyone ever adjusted the stock Rear View Camera to view a bit more up (less of the rear bumber) (2014) Thanks

· Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,815 Posts
I believe they are from the same manufacturer. Audiovox / HitchScan / Echomaster.
I have the Audiovox ASH400. It comes with a plug you put in the 12 volt outlet up front that flashes green, orange or red, and chirps as you get closer to an obstacle. There is also the ASH300. My first one ($79 on ebay) stopped working so I picked up another on techbargains.com for $39. Then I realized I just had to pair the first one, so the new one goes on the shelf as a backup. You can hard wire it with a little speaker or just use the aforementioned plug wirelessly.

This is the manual although it doesn't show the plug.

http://www.adventproducts.com/docs/common/ASH400/ASH400_OM.pdf

eBay special, $24.95 + $10 s/h. Probably won't last long....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audiovox-Ob...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27f90a4a42&vxp=mtr

· Registered
381 Posts
That looks like a nice idea, but the manual says it gives a solid beep from 3 feet inward. That seems pretty far. Normally I can get within 3 feet no problem - it's the last 2 where I'm not exactly sure. Is that accurate?

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I'll get my wife right on it.:act047: I have the rear camera so no need for a scanner.

· Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,815 Posts
That looks like a nice idea, but the manual says it gives a solid beep from 3 feet inward. That seems pretty far. Normally I can get within 3 feet no problem - it's the last 2 where I'm not exactly sure. Is that accurate?
This device becomes invaluable when you don't realise something is behind you. There are times when the backup camera is dirty or it is dark outside. In these situations, when you need to stop now 3 feet is not much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX3nVrk4hA0

· Registered
1,092 Posts
I've had the Hitchscan for 4-5 years now. If you don't have camera or the OEM sensors it's great. Saved me from hitting a few objects and people a few times (don't have to say how lousy Ridgeline's rear visibility is). I've noticed though with it cold it senses the muffler plume so when you are backing up first thing in winter it will sound even though you know there isn't anything there. Do the OEM bumper sensors do that?

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
The Hitchscan is a great idea and device. I've been running mine for several years and it works great. As above, it has saved me numerous times when something or someone enters the danger zone from the side and I can't/don't see them. Plus, I can back up in tight spots with confidence and know how far I am from an object behind me.

When I first installed it, I checked the alert distances and they were right on the money at 3 -5 -7 ft.

The real problem with this device is that I don't have one on my Pilot and although the visibility to the rear is much better with the Pilot, I can't backup with the confidence I have with my RL/Hitchscan. Mine is also the ASH400 version.

· Registered
5 Posts
Does Honda have their own? Searching the forum didn't turn up anything. Not much in the aftermarket I like. I don't need glowing skull eyes or an outboard propeller. Need one for the wife's Pilot too.
I almost spilled my coffee when I read this - I saw someone with a glowing skull hitch cover this morning on my way to work; all I could say was WHY?

· Registered
94 Posts
I've got the weathertech bump guard/step on my hitch, love it! Not that I need it for the step, but that little sense of having something between you and whatever's behind you

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally ordered a pair of covers. 1 for me and 1 for wife's Pilot. Got 'em from H & A. They actually shorted me one but I emailed them and they took care of it right away. Thanks H & A!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.