Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed the hitch receiver from my Ridgeline is very loose, with almost 1/8 of play between the receiver and the hitch mount. I've even tried multiple hitch mounts, thinking perhaps one was too small, but of the three different ones I've tried in my truck, all seem to have the 1/8 inch of play. What this causes is the trailer to bang and clang when driving down the road, especially bumpy roads with the trailer empty. When you look at the hitch mount, you can see where it is banging on the metal and causing some wear. I've previously had 3 different trucks, a Nissan and 2 Rams, and they didn't have this issue using this very same mount. Anyone else notice this with their Ridgeline trailer hitch receiver?

For a fix, I'm tempted to put a bead of weld on the hitch mount, then grind to fit it with minimal play (It needs some to insert and remove it). Only issue is if I do this for my one hitch, it probably won't fit in a properly sized receiver!

I noticed sever other posts about people mentioning the problem, but they moved the pin mount closer to ball, to minimize the probably, but since this didn't happen with my other trucks, it seems like a odd fix.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The pin hole on the Honda is located in a different location, which leads me to ask if paying "extra" for a specifically designed ball mount for the Ridgeline would eliminate the play?

Otherwise, the tongue weight of the trailer does quite a bit in keeping things from rattling around, and I honestly do not feel that anything is being harmed. Something that has been suggested to me has been to use a wooden wedge, but I am thinking that it really is not neccessary.

Bill

·
Registered
129 Posts
This was discussed back in 17, standard hitches do not go in the receiver far enough for stability. I had a buddy with a machine shop drill an additional hole closer to the ball and this resolved the problem, otherwise I would go with a honda hitch.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
They all rattle......especially when the tongue weight is set up poorly/incorectly. A unibody (the Ridgeline) is much worse at transmitting the rattle to the cab than a body on frame vehicle. Select an anti-rattle device from etrailer.com. It removes the slop/slack.

I have a Genuine Honda ball mount and a Harbor Freight ball mount.....they both have slop/rattle until the anti-rattle device is bolted up.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Actually, the HF ball mount is about 1/2"-3/4" longer than the Honda ball mount so I would say the HF extends further into the hitch, but not by much.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Non-Honda ball mount:
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Office ruler Motor vehicle

And I believe that I have found a comparable Honda ball mount:

Toy Rectangle Vehicle Line Font

It appears that the Honda ball mount extends approximately 3/4 inch further into the receiver, not as much as I had been led to believe, but would it still be enough to add enough noticeable stability to justify the extra cost?

Bill

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
892 Posts
Length of the hitch won't make a lot of difference, it will still pivot on the hitch pin. I even sprayed a coat of truck bed liner in my other trucks hitch receiver, it worked a little for a while, then wore off. I am waiting to get a hunk of aluminum and measure the receiver and machine my own with very little clearance.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Length of the hitch won't make a lot of difference, it will still pivot on the hitch pin.
I think I need to disagree for the pin does not fit tight enough to provide a "pivot point", it simply holds the ball mount in place. If I push our aftermarket ball mount into the receiver to where the hitch pin engages I have approximately 1/2" play. If I push the ball mount in an additional inch, as compared to the Honda ball mount, the play is reduced to 3/16". If I push the ball mount in until it is nearly bottomed out, this reduces the play even further to 1/16".

But, you know what, they all still rattle with no tongue weight.

Obviously I must be very bored, huh?

Bill

1 - 20 of 41 Posts