Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Slide the ball mount almost all the way in, mark/re-drill the ball mount. Just remember, the closer the ball to the bumper, the closer the trailer coupler is to smacking the bumper.🤭

An extra long/re-drilled ball mount just may be the ticket.👍

Reactions: wjfyfe

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
It prevents honest people from stealing the ball mount. There is a version with a lock that provides a little more security.
Well, unless out of absentmindedness, (which seems to be happening more and more), the only time the ball mount is ever installed is when there is a trailer attached!😏

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Well, unless out of absentmindedness, (which seems to be happening more and more), the only time the ball mount is ever installed is when there is a trailer attached!😏

Bill
I never remove my ball mount. To prevent corrosion from constant exposure to the elements, the ball & mount are stainless steel.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
899 Posts
You can fix this for good if you drill a hole in front of the hitch pin on the bottom of the receiver, and then weld a nut on it underneath. then you slide the ball mount in, install the pin, and then put a bolt in the nut you welded and tighten it. This would work well if you didn't remove the ball mount, but would be a PITA to use off and on a lot of times. I'll just use my anti-rattle bracket.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,560 Posts
I never keep my ball mount in my receiver unless I'm using it. But that's because my receiver is otherwise full time occupied by my hitchscan monitor.

Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive design Car

Motor vehicle Product Automotive lighting Font Material property

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've noticed the hitch receiver from my Ridgeline is very loose, with almost 1/8 of play between the receiver and the hitch mount. I've even tried multiple hitch mounts, thinking perhaps one was too small, but of the three different ones I've tried in my truck, all seem to have the 1/8 inch of play. What this causes is the trailer to bang and clang when driving down the road, especially bumpy roads with the trailer empty. When you look at the hitch mount, you can see where it is banging on the metal and causing some wear. I've previously had 3 different trucks, a Nissan and 2 Rams, and they didn't have this issue using this very same mount. Anyone else notice this with their Ridgeline trailer hitch receiver?

For a fix, I'm tempted to put a bead of weld on the hitch mount, then grind to fit it with minimal play (It needs some to insert and remove it). Only issue is if I do this for my one hitch, it probably won't fit in a properly sized receiver!

I noticed sever other posts about people mentioning the problem, but they moved the pin mount closer to ball, to minimize the probably, but since this didn't happen with my other trucks, it seems like a odd fix.
Take the ball assembly out, drill a hole in any side of the receiver and tap it to any size bolt you wish to, reinsert the ball and tighten the bolt and cinch a locking nut down on it, it will never rattle again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've noticed the hitch receiver from my Ridgeline is very loose, with almost 1/8 of play between the receiver and the hitch mount. I've even tried multiple hitch mounts, thinking perhaps one was too small, but of the three different ones I've tried in my truck, all seem to have the 1/8 inch of play. What this causes is the trailer to bang and clang when driving down the road, especially bumpy roads with the trailer empty. When you look at the hitch mount, you can see where it is banging on the metal and causing some wear. I've previously had 3 different trucks, a Nissan and 2 Rams, and they didn't have this issue using this very same mount. Anyone else notice this with their Ridgeline trailer hitch receiver?

For a fix, I'm tempted to put a bead of weld on the hitch mount, then grind to fit it with minimal play (It needs some to insert and remove it). Only issue is if I do this for my one hitch, it probably won't fit in a properly sized receiver!

I noticed sever other posts about people mentioning the problem, but they moved the pin mount closer to ball, to minimize the probably, but since this didn't happen with my other trucks, it seems like a odd fix.
rattling is aggervating,but not nearly as much as the older receivers tended to rust themselves into the hitch permanently

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
21 - 40 of 41 Posts