Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a trailer but want to be set up to rent a small U-Haul trailer should the need arise. Nothing big, just to haul the lawn mower or some furniture. My questions are:

1- What drop distance should I go for?
2- What ball size do utility trailers typically use?

I understand that there are variations within this specification but is there a consensus on what is most common?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
If you're going to rent one from u-haul then go look at their trailers and go from there. These things are cheap enough, maybe $15 at Walmart? Ball at $5?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Most small utility trailers will use a 1 7/8 inch ball. For my five by eight ft. utility trailer I use a 2 inch drop.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
U-haul trailers are fairly heavy for their size (1000-2000 lbs for even a small one). I have towed a couple of them, and they used a 2" ball.

They give the specs here: http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/

In true U-haul craptastic fashion, their information is fairly good overall, but then say "Must have 1-7/8" or, 2" hitch ball". Okay, thanks for that specificity. The trailer is only going to use one of those. My guess is that they all take a 2", but they figure that 1-7/8" is close enough for the unwashed masses who probably won't get killed in that case.

·
Registered
83 Posts
U-haul will take 2 inch ball ( or 1 7/8). The 2 is a good way to go as most small RV trailers take a 2 inch.
18 - 19 inch height is average for campers and u-haul. My set up is 19 inches for my camper and the u-hauls have set level.
If your Ridgeline has seven pin connector you will need to buy an adapter to go from 7 to 4. Wally world has them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts