Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Skeletor reading from a Magic Eight Ball?

Who in the world approved that ad, and why are they still employed there?

Chip H.

Edit: A different one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79fdqgHKRA
There are many things that I don't understand about the present *culture*.

Perhaps the marketing is directed at "twenty-somethings", who grew up with this sort of thing on TV. However, why that would help to sell vehicles is beyond me.

I don't intend to insult or belittle the younger folks on this forum, but to me, it would be like using Daffy Duck or Tweety Bird to sell vehicles to people of my generation many years ago.

As I said, I don't understand it.

Market the vehicles showing the features that they come with. The styling (if that is important to you) is obvious in viewing the vehicle in the commercial.

I suppose I'm just another grumpy old man who doesn't get it (kids these days). :act002:

·
Registered
379 Posts
He-Man is a cartoon from the early 80s. I remember following the cartoon and wanting the figures (I was born in 80.) Some friends of mine and I (my age) were actually talking today about the CR-V as a replacement for my friend's Camry, so I'd say they're shooting at the right demographic. We didn't know about this commercial at the time though.

I'd imagine people recognize with different things at different ages. This commercial was probably made to get people who recognize He-Man to smile and then notice the car. I liked Nintendo more than He-Man though. :)

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
He-Man, Skeletor and now Gumby and Pokey you may get your wish with Daffy Duck or Tweety Bird. just wait a week or two. Yea that's goin to sell me on a new Honda cartoons. I'd rather see a Honda get riddled with bullets. Yea that would get my attention.;act028:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Honda's marketing is terrible. From Michael Bolton to Gumby the recent advertising campaigns appear 2nd rate. Even Nissan's snowboarding cars' commercial is better, but not by much...gotta love the disclaimer "cars cannot snowboard"!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Par for the course. I think commercials in general have started to be so bad I wonder how anyone producing them could still be in a job. For example, beer commercials used to be funny.

Of course, as bad as the national car ads are, they are still better than anything produced by dealerships. They are about the most obnoxious and awful thing on television behind anything with the Kardashians in it.

·
Administrator
16,403 Posts
Honda should be embarrassed and ashamed of their ads. I haven't seen the Skeletor ad, but I've seen a similar one with Barbie dolls walking around on the dash. Total turn-off to me!

Here's an example of a local ad featuring country singer Neil McCoy, who lives right down the road from me. The locals all say he's a nice, generous guy. I really don't know him nor have I ever listened to any of his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZwfFWJQgZg

·
Registered
137 Posts
There are many things that I don't understand about the present *culture*.

Perhaps the marketing is directed at "twenty-somethings", who grew up with this sort of thing on TV. However, why that would help to sell vehicles is beyond me.

I don't intend to insult or belittle the younger folks on this forum, but to me, it would be like using Daffy Duck or Tweety Bird to sell vehicles to people of my generation many years ago.

As I said, I don't understand it.

Market the vehicles showing the features that they come with. The styling (if that is important to you) is obvious in viewing the vehicle in the commercial.

I suppose I'm just another grumpy old man who doesn't get it (kids these days). :act002:

Kids these days?? What are you talking about? I am 36 years old and I BARELY remember He-Man! Stretch Armstrong, (another toy used in their recent marketing), was a product introduced in 1976..... You do the math!

Granted I am not a huge fan of the marketing either, I could care less! It's different, I'll give them that, and half the commercials I see now days I could not even recall what they're advertising if you asked me the next day any way! Who cares?! Anything beats that TRASH with Michael Bolton last year!!!!:act060:

Nonetheless 35-45 years old is a pretty solid demographic to market products to my friend. We don't have the buying power of the baby-boomers but no one does. Way to be different Honda!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Honda should be embarrassed and ashamed of their ads. I haven't seen the Skeletor ad, but I've seen a similar one with Barbie dolls walking around on the dash. Total turn-off to me!

Here's an example of a local ad featuring country singer Neil McCoy, who lives right down the road from me. The locals all say he's a nice, generous guy. I really don't know him nor have I ever listened to any of his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZwfFWJQgZg
The Barbie commercial ALSO featured a Chuck Norris doll asking her out. It was a joke! Funny, haha!? Perhaps not so funny but really?! WHO CARES?! If you think they're going to go all cliche with the spirit of the great outdoors or back roads of America with Sam Elliott reading the ad or your next favorite country singer, guess what? You're driving the wrong brand!

Again, I'm not necessarily a fan of the advertising either. But at least it's different. Anyone who would drive a vehicle or buy a brand solely based on the marketing campaign is a damn fool to begin with! :act060:

"embarrassed and ashamed of their ads" is an extremely ridiculous notion. Have you seen commercials the last 10 years? 90% of them are unrealistic, twisted, cliche marketing garbage. Honda's are definitely not any worse than the norm.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Kids these days?? What are you talking about? I am 36 years old and I BARELY remember He-Man! Stretch Armstrong, (another toy used in their recent marketing), was a product introduced in 1976..... You do the math!

Granted I am not a huge fan of the marketing either, I could care less! It's different, I'll give them that, and half the commercials I see now days I could not even recall what they're advertising if you asked me the next day any way! Who cares?! Anything beats that TRASH with Michael Bolton last year!!!!:act060:

Nonetheless 35-45 years old is a pretty solid demographic to market products to my friend. We don't have the buying power of the baby-boomers but no one does. Way to be different Honda!
As I stated, I did not intend to belittle or offend the younger members on this forum. The (kids these days) comment was intended to be tongue in cheek.

I should have just not commented at all. Sorry that it bothered you so much.

By the way...I'm not a "Baby Boomer". I was born before 1946.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts