Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Home Link

6K views 23 replies 23 participants last post by  tschirtz 
#1 ·
Anyone having a problem with the Homelink System? I am having difficulty activating my garage door opener. I have a Acura with the same system (I guess) and did not have any problem 'training' that unit. Any suggestions other than the dealer?

#4 ·
I had trouble training my Homelink system using a Clicker remote control. When I instead used the original Intellicode transmitter to train the Ridge, it worked. Since either one will control the gate, I don't know why the Ridge's Homelink only worked w/one. :confused:

Also, note that the Homelink system requires a fairly long "squeeze" of the button--punching the button does not work!

#5 ·
I found that initially I had to "clear" the home link of existing programming by depressing the two outer buttons at the same time for about 30 srconds. After that the unit programmed easily .

#7 ·
I had trouble to train it at first then I do an erase using the 2 outer buttons and was able to activate it Ok. My only concern is that you can still using the Homelink to open the garage without the key in the ignition and the truck is lock/ alrm armed or if you forgot to turn up the window so some one can still open your garage using it. I don't know if any one notice this or is this just mine truck, and it's of concern to me for I park my truck ouside. I tried it even while while I'm inside the truck and not seating on the driver or passenger seat with alarm on.

#8 ·
SilveRliner said:
I had trouble to train it at first then I do an erase using the 2 outer buttons and was able to activate it Ok. My only concern is that you can still using the Homelink to open the garage without the key in the ignition and the truck is lock/ alrm armed or if you forgot to turn up the window so some one can still open your garage using it. I don't know if any one notice this or is this just mine truck, and it's of concern to me for I park my truck ouside. I tried it even while while I'm inside the truck and not seating on the driver or passenger seat with alarm on.
Interesting and a little scary. In don't normally leave mine parked outside with out someone at home, but it only takes once.
:eek:

#9 ·
SilveRliner said:
My only concern is that you can still using the Homelink to open the garage without the key in the ignition and the truck is lock/ alrm armed or if you forgot to turn up the window so some one can still open your garage using it.
It's no different than a regular remote, other than the fact that one can remove a regular remote from the vehicle to prevent someone from using it. I don't personally know of anyone who takes their remote with them when they park their vehicle. <shrug>

#10 ·
Followed the directions in the manual and everything works great. Wish Honda would put the same home Link in the Accord EX 4-cyls, I hate having the remote clipped to the visor:(

#11 ·
JulesK said:
I found that initially I had to "clear" the home link of existing programming by depressing the two outer buttons at the same time for about 30 srconds. After that the unit programmed easily .
+1.

Mine works fine. You have to hold down the button for a few seconds but it works fine. I'm very security prone so I'll be clearing mine anytime I drop it off for service or when it comes time to sell.

#12 ·
I tried for 2 days to train mine (as per the manual) even went to the dealer thinking there was something wrong as the homelink on my other car worked, they knew less than I did. Called the number in the manual and a lady walked me through the set up both doors worked on the first try I had apparently dumbed myself again, they will open from about 3/4 of a block away and have had no problem since.

#13 ·
I did notice my Homelink has to be closer to the garage to activate than the regular remote. After re-setting the Homelink a couple of times I realized you have to hold in the switch for at least a two count before it actually sends a signal. This is a little annoying. Before re-programing try to hold the switch in for an extra second.

Gary P

#15 ·
ProHonda said:
No problems at all with mine, cause I have a RTS LOL

Sucks the homelink only comes in leather:mad:
After considering an aftermarket mirror w/homelink I decided why spend $300 for a glorified garage door opener. Short story long I made my own home link system. A little velcro on the opener and in the cubby under the stereo and I have a hidden garage door opener that is very accessable.

Attachments

#17 ·
No troubles here. Mine works fine. The only thing I noticed is that my garage door starts to open/close pretty much immediately as soon as I push the button with my actual garage door opener and with the homelink I have to hold it for 1 second. Other than that, it works great.

It was a little tricky setting up the homelink, but I think it was just because it was the first time that I ever played with homelink before.

#18 ·
HomeLink: Before You Troubleshoot, Consider This

Another article from the Honda Service News, provided by csimo. The large number of posts from the news is because we are catching up on several back issues.

NOTE: This article applies to HomeLink-equipped ’9806 Accord V6s, ’9906 Odysseys, ’0306 Pilots, and ’06 Ridgelines. Got a service customer complaining he or she can’t program HomeLink to work with a garage door or security gate opener? Before you go start troubleshooting HomeLink, here are a some things to consider:
[FONT=ITCGaramondSWA,Bold]Is your customer using the original remote transmitter that came with the opener?[/FONT]
HomeLink can be programmed [FONT=ITCGaramondSWA,Italic]only with the original remote transmitters. And for [/FONT]quick and accurate programming, the remote transmitter should have a fresh battery. If your customer is using an aftermarket universal remote transmitter, the folks at HomeLink say most of these units [FONT=ITCGaramondSWA,Italic]aren’t compatible with HomeLink. If your customer runs into any [/FONT]programming problems, he or she can call HomeLink at [FONT=ITCGaramondSWA,Bold]800-355-3515 or visit their [/FONT]website at [FONT=ITCGaramondSWA,Italic]www.homelink.com.[/FONT]
[FONT=ITCGaramondSWA,Bold]Was the garage door opener made before April ’82?[/FONT]
These openers don’t have the safety feature that stops and reverses the motor if an object is detected during closing, increasing the risk of injury. It may not be possible to program HomeLink to work with it.
[FONT=ITCGaramondSWA,Bold]Does the garage door opener use a rolling code?[/FONT]
To program HomeLink to work with these openers, there are specific steps that
must be done. If your customer does just the basic programming steps, HomeLink may not work with the opener. These steps are clearly spelled out in the appropriate O/M. Remind your customer to follow them to the letter.

#19 ·
I have Genie door openers, which required both steps from the owners manual, Train and then program. The Genie has the rolling code (Security) that added the extra step. I always complained about how close I had to be for the original opener to work. With the HomeLink I can be about four houses away, hold the HomeLink button for a full second and the door opens! It's awesome.

TL

#21 ·
i had to program my homelink directly from the unit and making sure to clear all codes on the homelink before programing to my garage from sears. Works fine with no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.