Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a Sommer garage door opener don't use the HomeLink programming instructions in the owner's manual because it won't work. You cannot use the Sommer remote control to program the Ridgeline's HomeLink system.

Here"s how to do it:

Press all 3 HomeLink buttons down simultaneously until the red LED goes out. (Note: This takes about 30 seconds & the light will be on steadily then flash before going out.)

Press the HomeLink button you want to program. It should flash rapidly.

Get a second person to press the "Learn" button on the Sommer door opener.

Within TEN SECONDS of pressing the "Learn" button, press and hold the HomeLink button you want to program for TWO SECONDS and release. Repeat 3 times.

Your HomeLink button should now be programmed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Issues with Homelink and garage door opener?

Anyone else experiencing problems getting the Homelink to sync up to a rolling code garage door opener?

I may have some extenuating circumstances, so let me explain. The remotes that came with the garage door opener no longer work as we have used our vehicles' systems for years now and the remotes are dead. Thus, when I try to follow the instructions in the owner's manual, I cannot do the first few steps. However, it would seem apparent that if I have a rolling code opener, I should be able to skip to the part of the instructions for that. But when I try, no such luck - just the slow blink and no sync.

As another factor, since I tried it so many times, our 2010 Pilot got un-synced so I reprogrammed that and did not have a problem. Makes me think either my RL's is not working, Honda changed the electronics and maybe it doesn't recognize "older" openers, or I have to perform the steps from the beginning by getting my remotes to work.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,937 Posts
Re: Issues with Homelink and garage door opener?

It might help us to help you if you give us some more particulars about your equipment. Who makes the garage door openers that you have installed? And is your remote equipment all from the same maker or is it more generic? Two general things I'm going to tell you in the meantime: 1. If your garage door openers are approaching for over 20 years of age, it's time to replace them.

For the record, I found it extremely easy to use the Ridgeline's Homelink support. In fact I've had to set up twice now and it's worked like a charm both times. One of the primary reasons that remotes "forget" the coding is because you have more remotes than the garage door opener or openers can support in any one time. As you program newer remotes, the oldest ones will be let go. Come on back and let us know who the mate manufacturer is.

·
Registered
14 Posts

It's a Lift Master garage door opener. It can't be more than 10 years old as that's how old the house is. And the remotes are the ones that came with it. My previous vehicle also had a similar system and worked fine, and like I mentioned, my Pilot's system still works to the point that I was able to reprogram it after pressing the Learn button so many time to get the RL's to work. So as for the number of devices, I have the two remotes (that do not work), the Pilot, and the Ridgeline (hopefully) that replaces a previous one.

Like I also mentioned, when in the instructions it mentions that the light should blink rapidly, it never does this. Just a slow blink or no blink.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

It might help us to help you if you give us some more particulars about your equipment. Who makes the garage door openers that you have installed? And is your remote equipment all from the same maker or is it more generic? Two general things I'm going to tell you in the meantime: 1. If your garage door openers are approaching for over 20 years of age, it's time to replace them.

For the record, I found it extremely easy to use the Ridgeline's Homelink support. In fact I've had to set up twice now and it's worked like a charm both times. One of the primary reasons that remotes "forget" the coding is because you have more remotes than the garage door opener or openers can support in any one time. As you program newer remotes, the oldest ones will be let go. Come on back and let us know who the mate manufacturer is.
Why replace a 20 yr old opener if it works fine ... ?

·
Premium Member
608 Posts

however, it would seem apparent that if I have a rolling code opener, I should be able to skip to the part of the instructions for that. But when I try, no such luck - just the slow blink and no sync..
I thought this same thing and tried to skip the step where you need your old opener, especially since I didn't need it on my last truck (a Tacoma). Didn't work 4 times in a row, so I went inside and scrounged for my old opener, put in a new battery, and it synced the first time I completely followed the instructions to a 'T'.

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts

I've battled with HomeLink on my last several vehicles so equipped. I consider myself reasonably intelligent and tech-saavy. The instructions in the vehicles' manuals never seem work for me. One time, I couldn't figure it out - neither could Honda nor HomeLink. The company who installed the opener finally got it to work after about 30 minutes of random button pushing. When I have finally got it to work in the past, I always had to hold the HomeLink button for a full second or the door won't operate - unlike the original remotes that only require a momentary press to operate.

When I got the G2, it took me only minutes to program. Instead of following Honda's or HomeLink's instructions, I followed the instructions in the manual that came with my Overhead Door Odyssey opener. It's a 4 year-old unit that uses a newer coding technology that is not compatible with HomeLink or other code-learning systems. The workaround is reprogramming one of the factory remotes to use an older code system then using that remote to teach the HomeLink system then teach the HomeLink signal learned from the factory remote to the opener. The opener can learn and respond to both the newer and older coding system at the same time. Sounds complicated, but I finally got the hang of it. After following this procedure in my G2, the HomeLink buttons now respond with a momentary press just like the factory remotes - no need to "hold-n-hope".

·
Premium Member
4,603 Posts
I would suggest finding or downloading the manual for your particular opening and give it a read-through.

I was having a difficult time reprogramming my external entry panel until I realized you need to wait 30 seconds or so between programming and testing.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,937 Posts

Why replace a 20 yr old opener if it works fine ... ?
Not because of the opener's physical condition, but because technology like HomeLink has passed it by. What's more, HomeLink doesn't stand still. They change it every couple of years.

I upgraded my two openers to new Chamberlain openers a couple of years ago. Did all the work myself. After the upgrade, my two 2007 vehicles suffered from weak HomeLink signals. My 2013 worked great. I wound having to purchase a LiftMaster signal-amplification device. After a bunch of trial and error, I finally got it working properly.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts

I had a terrible time trying to get our 2016 MINI to sync. My Audi and my Z4 synced just fine. I eventually tried a different remote and it synced the very first time.

You may want to run Home Depot / Lowes and buy a new remote. Attach that remote to your garage door opener and then use it to sync your RL.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I thought this same thing and tried to skip the step where you need your old opener, especially since I didn't need it on my last truck (a Tacoma). Didn't work 4 times in a row, so I went inside and scrounged for my old opener, put in a new battery, and it synced the first time I completely followed the instructions to a 'T'.
Thanks, Doobiewah! That worked. Fortunately, we had a spare battery for some other electronic that worked in the remote so I was able to start the instructions from the beginning and make it work.

Thanks to all for your responses as well.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts

Thanks, Doobiewah! That worked. Fortunately, we had a spare battery for some other electronic that worked in the remote so I was able to start the instructions from the beginning and make it work.

Thanks to all for your responses as well.
That's what I love about these forums....we all share our experiences and most of the time one of the solutions works!

Glad you got it to work!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

I've quit using it altogether. Have read of cases of mechanics and service folks using it to get your garage door opener code then coming by your house later and stealing. And the worst is people who have programmed their garage door via home link then get the bright idea to leave the vehicle parked outside. That's just a window smash away from full entry to your garage to take whatever you have in there. I love home link but I switched over to an app controlled Lift Master. Phone has a lock code on it so if ever lose it too many lock code tries and phone is rendered useless. So just moved it from home link to my phone.

·
Registered
970 Posts

Yeah, just paired mine and it tends to take several tries. They could use a better system. Of course, once done that it it. The remote that came with the opener now resides in the house so I can open the door and remote start!

·
Registered
199 Posts

This is interesting. My 07 Pilot takes multiple pushes of the Homelink button but I (so far) am pleased with how reliable the RL Homelink has been. Programming required me to press the button up on the garage lift main unit. It didn't work just holding the remote next to the RL buttons. MY garage opener is at least 15 years old. I think it was made just as the technology was changing at the time. But in a good way for me.

·
Registered
166 Posts

I've quit using it altogether. Have read of cases of mechanics and service folks using it to get your garage door opener code then coming by your house later and stealing. And the worst is people who have programmed their garage door via home link then get the bright idea to leave the vehicle parked outside. That's just a window smash away from full entry to your garage to take whatever you have in there. I love home link but I switched over to an app controlled Lift Master. Phone has a lock code on it so if ever lose it too many lock code tries and phone is rendered useless. So just moved it from home link to my phone.
Actually, that's a great point...
On the other hand, I haven't heard too much about those types of break-ins, when everyone had an opener hanging off their visor (including me). At least the HomeLink is integrated, and not immediately perceived at a quick glance.

In terms of making the thing work... HomeLink has ALWAYS been quirky w/ rolling code openers (which is just about all of them now). What's worked for me, is using an old remote first to program as if it's *not* a rolling code system, and then go ahead and program again using the rolling code learn button... (Sorry if that's a duplicate suggestion -- haven't read every entry here yet).

·
Registered
94 Posts

Does the truck have to be running for the homelink to work? In my 08 G1 all you have to do is push the home link button and the door opens, in my wife's BMW the homelink only works if the motor is running eliminating the problem of breaking a window in the car to gain access into your garage.

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts

I've never met nor heard of a mechanic or service person with the level of knowledge and equipment required to circumvent rolling code technology. It's not as simple as "recording the code" from your current opener or HomeLink then "playing it back" - that's not how rolling codes work. Each time a button is pressed a different, pseudo-random code is sent. The opener must learn each new remote because each remote has a different seed used to generate the code.

Because HomeLink is built in to the vehicle, it is inherently more secure than a remote left in the vehicle. Your Lift Master app is likely less secure because the signal travels over cellular towers and/or Wi-Fi and the Internet, so there are more opportunities for exploits compared to a remote with a signal that only travels a hundred feet or so.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Does the truck have to be running for the homelink to work? In my 08 G1 all you have to do is push the home link button and the door opens, in my wife's BMW the homelink only works if the motor is running eliminating the problem of breaking a window in the car to gain access into your garage.
No, it does not have to be running. In fact, the fob doesn't need to be anywhere near the truck. Does seem a bit illogical...

Doing some research on running a switched circuit to HomeLink (damn, this is so much simpler on a motorcycle...)

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

I've never met nor heard of a mechanic or service person with the level of knowledge and equipment required to circumvent rolling code technology. It's not as simple as "recording the code" from your current opener or HomeLink then "playing it back" - that's not how rolling codes work. Each time a button is pressed a different, pseudo-random code is sent. The opener must learn each new remote because each remote has a different seed used to generate the code.

Because HomeLink is built in to the vehicle, it is inherently more secure than a remote left in the vehicle. Your Lift Master app is likely less secure because the signal travels over cellular towers and/or Wi-Fi and the Internet, so there are more opportunities for exploits compared to a remote with a signal that only travels a hundred feet or so.
So sorry, home link is encrypted. HTTPS and all that. The point was, home link is a high security risk if you park your vehicle outside. It's a window smash away and someone can get in your garage while you are asleep. You can't do the same thing with an app. You can bust into the truck and take what you want, but you will not be able to access my home. Home link is antiquated.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts