Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Honda accessory hard Tonneau cover was part of the purchase price for my '21 RTL-E. Delivery was April 24th. The Tonneau has been on 'National Backorder" with no ETA available. No one seems to know why this happened, or when the thing will be available. I'm thinking about asking the dealer for a refund of the tonneau price so I can go buy one aftermarket. Yeah I know: Low odds on that working. Anyone out there have any information on this issue, or know where there is a secret stash?

·
Registered
283 Posts
There has been an ongoing recall on the G2 tonneau covers. I suspect they are waiting on new and updated inventory. They are not going to install a known defective cover on your vehicle. Be patient!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’ve been waiting since October of last year for the parts to satisfy the recall. The OEM cover is a bit high in cost, but have no regrets on purchasing it. If the hard tonneau cover owners/drivers would make sure their cover was secure, either fully closed or fully open, there would be no need for the recall.
I own a couple of Corvettes, too. It doesn’t happen often, but owners of coupes with the targa top report that because of their carelessness, they didn’t secure the top after placing it back on. During their next drive it blew off and was destroyed. Go figure!
I know this doesn’t answer your question but I hope you get some good recommendations from members on another hard cover.

·
Registered
21 Sport
40 Posts
A Honda accessory hard Tonneau cover was part of the purchase price for my '21 RTL-E. Delivery was April 24th. The Tonneau has been on 'National Backorder" with no ETA available. No one seems to know why this happened, or when the thing will be available. I'm thinking about asking the dealer for a refund of the tonneau price so I can go buy one aftermarket. Yeah I know: Low odds on that working. Anyone out there have any information on this issue, or know where there is a secret stash?
I think you should try to cancel and get a refund. No telling when the OEM tonneau will be available. I bought my truck May 6 and ordered a OEM trifold. Canceled the order a week later after doing a little research on availability and aftermarket comparability. I bought a rugged liner solid fold on Amazon for $877 and had the cover installed 4 days later. It comes with rails that attach to the bed to secure the cover but the brackets sold with the OEM cover are available from Honda separately and work to hold the cover down without the rails.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
360 Posts
I’ve been waiting since October of last year for the parts to satisfy the recall. The OEM cover is a bit high in cost, but have no regrets on purchasing it. If the hard tonneau cover owners/drivers would make sure their cover was secure, either fully closed or fully open, there would be no need for the recall.
I own a couple of Corvettes, too. It doesn’t happen often, but owners of coupes with the targa top report that because of their carelessness, they didn’t secure the top after placing it back on. During their next drive it blew off and was destroyed. Go figure!
I know this doesn’t answer your question but I hope you get some good recommendations from members on another hard cover.
The covers are having problems in heat with the top layer bulging or getting "humps" nothing to do with it being secure. mine is fine so far.

·
Registered
21 Sport
40 Posts
CNC1, you have the OEM tonneau? Look on my pic above. Do you have the exposed hinges where the panels join like mine? Just curious because supposedly Extang makes HONDAS tonneau and Extang and the company that makes mine (rugged liner) are under the same parent co.

The covers are having problems in heat with the top layer bulging or getting "humps" nothing to do with it being secure. mine is fine so far.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
360 Posts
CNC1, you have the OEM tonneau? Look on my pic above. Do you have the exposed hinges where the panels join like mine? Just curious because supposedly Extang makes HONDAS tonneau and Extang and the company that makes mine (rugged liner) are under the same parent co.
Yup, mine looks identical to yours. If you have spring loaded levers underneath the rear (for lack of a better term) it's identical.

·
Registered
21 Sport
40 Posts
Yup, mine looks identical to yours. If you have spring loaded levers underneath the rear (for lack of a better term) it's identical.
That’s the thing. Extang has the spring loaded. Rugged liner (mine) has ‘snap clips’ and they secure the top nice n tight, but I find the spring loaded quicker and a little easier so I ordered a set from Extang hoping they in fact do interchange. I had an Extang solid fold on a pick up a few years ago and this one seems identical except for some of the hardware.
What’s nice about the rugged liner is no brand badge riveted to the cover. Looks clean.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
360 Posts
My Honda model has no no name on it either, and my truck has less on it also. I really wanted nothing on the rear, but you would have two holes in the middle.

black letters (2)_LI.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would recommend AGAINST the OEM tri-fold. I got one with my '21 and swapped it for aftermarket. The OEM is truly 3 pieces which means that the third closest to the cab secures the cover to the bed, leaving only two-thirds foldable--reducing flexible use of bed space. In contrast the aftermarket tri-fold actually has a 4th small section which allows all 3 large sections to open. When fully opened it can be secured against the rear of the cab allowing fuller use of the open bed. The importance of this will certainly vary depending on intended uses. For me, the OEM was a non-starter because by shortening the open bed, I couldn't haul mountain bikes hanging over the tailgate. I also found the system for securing the OEM to be more finicky. I did not spend lots of time investigating alternatives and went with a popular one, BakFlip MX4.

·
Registered
21 Sport
40 Posts
I would recommend AGAINST the OEM tri-fold. I got one with my '21 and swapped it for aftermarket. The OEM is truly 3 pieces which means that the third closest to the cab secures the cover to the bed, leaving only two-thirds foldable--reducing flexible use of bed space. In contrast the aftermarket tri-fold actually has a 4th small section which allows all 3 large sections to open. When fully opened it can be secured against the rear of the cab allowing fuller use of the open bed. The importance of this will certainly vary depending on intended uses. For me, the OEM was a non-starter because by shortening the open bed, I couldn't haul mountain bikes hanging over the tailgate. I also found the system for securing the OEM to be more finicky. I did not spend lots of time investigating alternatives and went with a popular one, BakFlip MX4.
Bakflip mx4 requires holes drilled in the bed. Big negative for me.
Did You drill holes or reroute the drain hoses?

When I had my Extang solid fold on my Silverado it literally took a minute to remove the thing when I needed the entire bed. No leave behind hardware as will be the case when I get my OEM brackets for the ridgeline

·
Registered
14 Posts

When I had my Extang solid fold on my Silverado it literally took a minute to remove the thing when I needed the entire bed. No leave behind hardware as will be the case when I get my OEM brackets for the ridgeline
I did not install myself. I assume the holes you are referring to are those to hold the rail to the top inside edge of the bed. Didn't bother to have that. However, the drawback to the rail system that I did notice was that the trunk door can't open fully. It opens plenty enough for easy access but might matter to someone. Don't know about the drain hoses.

·
Registered
21 Sport
40 Posts
I did not install myself. I assume the holes you are referring to are those to hold the rail to the top inside edge of the bed. Didn't bother to have that. However, the drawback to the rail system that I did notice was that the trunk door can't open fully. It opens plenty enough for easy access but might matter to someone. Don't know about the drain hoses.
No, sorry I wasn’t clear. When I was researching tonneau covers, I remember reading that holes had to be drilled into the bed for drain hoses that are up by the bulkhead for your particular tonneau

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, sorry I wasn’t clear. When I was researching tonneau covers, I remember reading that holes had to be drilled into the bed for drain hoses that are up by the bulkhead for your particular tonneau
Did not install the drain hoses. Water has not been a problem, at least not in the 3 months I've had it. 7,000 miles, mostly from a roadtrip and have not encountered enough wet weather not be certain I won't need them.

·
Administrator
19,035 Posts
I've owned ten trucks over the years and never had any interest in or need for a tonneau cover. A twist of fate prompted me to purchase the Honda tonneau cover for my 2021 and I have no regrets. It's easy enough to remove, if necessary, and I've had not experience any bubbling.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,343 Posts

The MX4 does not need holes drilled into the bed. It is nearly an identical setup to my Undercover UltraFlex. The drain tubes slip right into the existing holes in the bed with a simple modification. I also prefer the tonneau where all three sections fold up.

·
Registered
21 Platinum White Sport (ETA TBD...)
67 Posts
Nice thread here- I had every intention of ordering the oem cover with my sport but with the build date being pushed back I was able to do more research and found this cover which will save me a decent amount, has excellent reviews, is easy to install and will allow me to put money towards other accessories.

North Mountain Roll Up Cover
Install video

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've owned ten trucks over the years and never had any interest in or need for a tonneau cover. A twist of fate prompted me to purchase the Honda tonneau cover for my 2021 and I have no regrets. It's easy enough to remove, if necessary, and I've had not experience any bubbling.
Same here, zroger. The OEM is easy and quick to remove. There is no bubbling on mine either. This is the fourth summer it has been through ... South Carolina and never garaged.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts