Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,378 Posts
Kia just keeps them coming!! The new 2021 Kia Seltos. It competes with the HRV.

Reactions: Ridge17

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,286 Posts
just serviced a customers 2003 Honda Accord v-6 with 300,000miles. all original ..I told him it might be time to look for a replacement. lol
Why? Is it starting to have issues?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Concerning the original post’s point:
I often think those who think the Japanese cars of the ‘80s and ‘90s represent their ‘normal’ forget (or in many cases never knew) that the exchange rate then was such that the Japanese automakers could price under what the Big Three and the Europeans could (in N. America), yet make noticeably more profit. LOTS of things have changed since those days. Corporate management is just one of those things.

·
Super Moderator
5,378 Posts
Honda is pulling out of Australia. They can't sell anything to those Aussies. Be careful of the language.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Plain and simple... you have to sell vehicles to make profit. People are keeping vehicles longer for a myriad of reasons which erodes profits. Manufacturers are pushing leases to lock up customers every three years. If the consumers aren’t buying, you have to pack up the circus and move to the next town.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I doubt they will ever get back to the reliability of 10 years ago-too much new tech which is software driven& will always have bugs as all software does,many more potential points of failure due to unnecessary and poorly functioning tech,more complex wiring and thousands more electrical connections,di injection with very high pressure fuel system,fuel dilution, cvts etc,etc, cars are becoming rolling play stations full of distracting and unreliable tech.Evs will reduce some of the drivetrain problems but will still have many ever changing software issues.I think 2014 was the last relatively low problem year for crv.
Honda needs to get on the ball before they find themselves going the way of Nissan (the Mopar of Japan). I bought a Ridgeline because I absolutely love the utility of the vehicle that is found nowhere else on the market. But I've got to be honest...if Toyota had a unibody midsize pickup with a trick tailgate and a trunk, I'd have probably wound up with one of those instead. And when it comes time to trade my wife's 2017 Ford Escape in, there's no way I'm looking at a CR-V if it still has that oil dilution 1.5 turbo fiasco and a CVT.

But to put things in perspective, Honda owners griping about quality should just be thankful that they don't own Fiat Chrysler products. :)

I'm hoping that my 2019 Ridgeline Sport is closer to the quality of the old days, since it's just a good basic truck with the tried and true 3.5 V6/6-speed combo and no nanny system tech or expensive integrated infotainment system to worry about.

·
Administrator
14,983 Posts
I'm hoping that my 2019 Ridgeline Sport is closer to the quality of the old days, since it's just a good basic truck with the tried and true 3.5 V6/6-speed combo and no nanny system tech or expensive integrated infotainment system to worry about.
So far, the vast majority of reported problems and recalls for the 2017-current Ridgelines have been with the basic features that are common to all trims. There have been no recalls and few to no problems reported with features that are specific to higher trims.

Chirping fuel pumps
Water leaks
Torque converters
Fuel injector failure
Transmissions
Timing belt recall
Fuel pump recall
Rearview camera harness
A/C refrigerant leaks
VCM noise/vibration
Broken/leaking motor mounts
Catalytic converters
Alarms that go off randomly
Music causing the door cards to rattle
Hard brake pedals that prevent starting
Hood adhesive failure causing fluttering
Soft brake pedal/contaminated brake fluid
Loose wire on alternator
Failed battery cooling fan
Start/stop button failure
Leaking fuel pipe joint causing fuel odor

These are some examples of the problems reported with the 2017-current Ridgeline. Notice that none of them are specific to higher trims - they affect all trims.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So are these "reported" problems a miniscule amount of owners, or are they common issues for the entire line? Because if that's the case, I might as well have bought a Dodge. I have owned several different makes of vehicles in the last 30+ years and I have NEVER had a list of problems that long with any of them. And that includes Chrysler products. Is the Ridgeline really that big of a piece of junk?

Oh well. At least I don't have to worry about the high tech stuff on top of your laundry list.

I say "bought," but I actually leased my new Ridgeline. If that list is accurate, I'm glad I did go with a lease. Bumper to bumper warranty for the entire time term of my obligation. Seems that purchasing a new vehicle these days with the intent to keep it 10+ years is not the smartest move. Maybe the age of throwaway cars is upon us.

·
Administrator
14,983 Posts
So are these "reported" problems a miniscule amount of owners, or are they common issues for the entire line? Because if that's the case, I might as well have bought a Dodge. I have owned several different makes of vehicles in the last 30+ years and I have NEVER had a list of problems that long with any of them. And that includes Chrysler products. Is the Ridgeline really that big of a piece of junk?

Oh well. At least I don't have to worry about the high tech stuff on top of your laundry list.

I say "bought," but I actually leased my new Ridgeline. If that list is accurate, I'm glad I did go with a lease. Bumper to bumper warranty for the entire time term of my obligation. Seems that purchasing a new vehicle these days with the intent to keep it 10+ years is not the smartest move. Maybe the age of throwaway cars is upon us.
When you're on a forum for several hours per day for years, you tend to get a pretty good feel for what types of problems a vehicle has. You can browse through the 2G Problems forum and get a pretty good idea as well.

Is the 2G Ridgeline a piece of junk? I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's certainly not up to Honda standards of yore or the 1G Ridgeline. I've personally owned a 2017 and 2019 which have each had many more problems than the 2007, 2010, and 2014 Ridgelines I owned combined. My 2019 needed a new transmission last month at 14,000 miles. Three other owners on this forum have reported needing new transmissions as well. I've got a water leak, the engine smells like gasoline, it rattles and creaks. So, why do I keep buying them? Because there's no more useful and comfortable truck for me. I wouldn't own one out of warranty, though.

Because you've mentioned Dodge a couple of times, I thought I'd throw this in for fun. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, that graph is just depressing. ? But it is "initial quality," so I wouldn't count on Dodge to stay neck and neck with Toyota past a year or so. And Chevy tops Toyota? Yeah, ok. LOL

Longboat, seems that you've done your homework for me, so I'll take you word for it and not worry too much. Besides, after a couple of less than satisfactory purchases in the car market, I'm back to leasing instead of buying with the Ridgeline. Don't see myself buying a car ever again, unless it's a weekend toy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had the chirping fuel injectors. Dealer told me it was normal. Ended up trading it in for a black one and it has yet to chirp.

I have the most experience with dirt bikes; Hondas used to never break. Now Yamahas are the bullet proof bikes and Honda’s are still great but they break more than they used to / Yamahas, and are more in line with Kawasaki and Suzuki quality wise. Still great bikes but not the “Big Red” quality they used to be.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well, may I change the tone of this thread a bit? We are sneaking up on a year and 13,000 miles since Saffie came home with us, where the only "complaint" we have is that the transmission cannot be held in first gear. But, that is how it is designed so not a failure. What am I saying then? It has only been a year but so far our Ridgeline has met, or exceeded, most of our expectations! (y)

Bill

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
About the J.D. Power IQS...I think a person needs to put that in perspective. The "Problems" can be all over the board (not all equal) and I'd want to know how many of them are readily resolved through the warranty process. Granted, having to return to the dealer repeatedly to get a new vehicle fixed would be a hassle, but longer term reliability might be more relevant for many owners. It would be useful if JDP included the metric of significant differences. Is Honda's 98 problems significantly worse than the industry average of 93? Is Chevrolet (85 problems) significantly better than Toyota (90 problems)?

And finally, how do actual models compare between brands versus the average for each brand? The averages can be easily skewed by a few models of a given brand having many reported problems. Likewise, the model you are looking to buy may be problematic but the brand gets a high rating because the other models have few problems. Bottom line: you have to dig a lot deeper than one IQS bar chart to get to reality.

·
Administrator
14,983 Posts
I'd like to clarify that I'm very well aware of the value of JDP's IQS and LTD studies. As I've said in other posts, most makes have improved significantly in both initial quality and long-term dependability over the last couple of decades. The differences between the best and the worst brands is smaller than ever. The problem I see is that Honda has improved at a lower rate than the industry as of late which pushes them down the charts.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've owned LOTS of vehicles over the years. I've been accused of changing cars more often than underwear. LOL!

One thing that I have noticed since buying my first car in 1988 is that overall quality has IMPROVED dramatically as the years go by and competition gets stiffer. Now, nothing today...even from the same brand...can compare to a Volvo or Mercedes from the 70's and 80's. Those things were tanks and many still running flawlessly. I remember the Datsun 210 my sister had. It was tiny, tinny, pathetically under powered...but it ran fine....right up until it it didn't. I had an 85 RX-7 that developed the dreaded apex seal leak. I had a VW Corrado that the shift linkage broke on. That sucked. A Chrysler who's transmission AND power steering pump went out in the same week. I could go on...but you get the point. I don't think I've owned any "perfect" cars. Ever. Well...maybe close. I had a 93 Honda Civic that was bulletproof even though my wife learned to drive a stick on it and abused it daily. I had a 94 Accord that I couldn't break, and only sold it after it got hit from behind. I had a 95 Mazda Miata that I beat the living crap out of and it never had one issue. I mean, I bounced that car off redline ever time I shifted it (it had NO power), and it never stumbled. My 2013 Ford F-150 was trouble free too. That 5.0 is a great motor and mine had the old 6 speed transmission which was fine.

The other car we have in our garage right now (besides the Ridgeline) is a 2016 Ford Escape. It's had the throttle position sensor replaced under warranty when it left me stranded on the side of the road. It also got a complete new transmission under warranty at around 25,000 miles. According to the dealer, one of the gears "shattered" and all the metal shards ruined the transmission. It has over 80,000 miles on it now and I haven't had a single issue since.

I've had the Ridgeline a week now. I find that most manufacturing defects show up within the first few months. After that, you're typically home free. So "initial" quality doesn't mean a lot to me. I've had a brand new car that blew a taillight bulb on my first week of ownership. I had the dealer replace it because it was convenient, but that got reported as an "initial quality defect" even though it was just a bad bulb. I had a Ford Fusion that had one of the early versions of MyFord Touch. It was awful and locked up frequently. The dealer ended up replacing the unit. So that was an "initial quality" defect. None of these are big deals.

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
If you want a problem-free vehicle that will last a few hundred thousand miles, you need a 1990s Honda with a four-cylinder engine and a five-speed manual trans.

It won't be as safe or comfortable as most modern vehicles, but it will be much more reliable (all else being equal).

21 - 40 of 51 Posts