Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
14,918 Posts
If you want a problem-free vehicle that will last a few hundred thousand miles, you need a 1990s Honda with a four-cylinder engine and a five-speed manual trans.

It won't be as safe or comfortable as most modern vehicles, but it will be much more reliable (all else being equal).
...or a 1980s to 2000s Chevrolet/Oldsmobile/Buick/Pontiac with the 3800 V6 and 440-T4, 4L60-E, or 4L-65E transmission.

Everything else will have fallen off of or failed on these, but they'll still drive down the road. :)

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
...or a 1980s to 2000s Chevrolet/Oldsmobile/Buick/Pontiac with the 3800 V6 and 440-T4, 4L60-E, or 4L-65E transmission.

Everything else will have fallen off of or failed on these, but they'll still drive down the road. :)
It seems the body side moulding was always the first thing to go on those 1980s GMs! I often wonder what issues we would read about vehicles in the 1970s and 1980s if we'd had widely-available enthusiast forums back then. The '70s were, for the most part, horrible performance-wise, but mfrs made up for that with marketing and imagination. The 1980s suffered a lot of growing pains, but people were always excited to see the latest greatest vehicles and what was just around the corner. Nowadays, everything just seems a little meh.

I suspect the majority of issues with new vehicles today is related to implementation of the latest technology along with mandated safety equipment, and the balance of the issues are probably a symptom of the QA/QC guys crushing candy instead of doing their jobs.

Aside from smartphone distractions, it seems many modern issues are caused by growing pains, much like in the past.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I take a lot of the negative feedback with not a grain of salt but a whole cellar.

Complainants about a 2 week old vehicle being unreliable because it' doesn't have a volume knob or the window tint isn't dark enough are laughable.

Most of those issues have noting to do with long term "reliability" and further not having a sliding rear window on the base model was visible at the time of purchase.

It seems like a lot of peoples treat a truck like a toy and being a toy when they're not happy with it they cry to their parents for a new one.

·
Super Moderator
1,431 Posts
I had a brand new 1980 Mercury Capri Turbo RS with the 2.3 Turbo engine. I had waited a year so that they would fix the bugs from the 79 year to the 80 year. It was a great car actually ! And around that time they started making better cars than the ones from the 70's were. Cars like the Granada were very commonplace and you could buy them dirt cheap around 5,000. But they were terrible unreliable cars. My 1980 Capri had no initial quality problems off the lot. I put a total of 57,500 mi on it in two years. Bought it for $8,500 and sold it 2 years later for $4400 to a kid. It was in good condition and in the time I replaced the battery and alternator (under warranty i might add around 27,000mi). The TRX tire and wheel package (.80 skid pad rated suspension and tires) was great but weren't really great in the snow (but it did ok). And it did have rear wheel drive and had a 52 rear / 48 front weight ratio for great handling. The 2.3l engine was rated around 140hp with the turbo. I did not modify it at all as I wanted reliable. But there were SVO versions that came out after mine with 180hp and more. I loved the Turbo whine off it. Very fun car. And I met and married my wife with that car lol. Still have her but not the car.

Steve who had a 76' Mustang Cobra II with a 2.3 that rusted out in three years ! Junk at 88,000mi to the junkyard !

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you want a problem-free vehicle that will last a few hundred thousand miles, you need a 1990s Honda with a four-cylinder engine and a five-speed manual trans.

It won't be as safe or comfortable as most modern vehicles, but it will be much more reliable (all else being equal).

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
For years, I've been recommending Hondas to the family. BIL hated his CRV, gave it to his kid. My other BIL has a 12 Odyssey that last weekend had a check engine light and traction control light. Turned out to be misfire on on the third cylinder. Needs new rings. He's covered by a Honda warranty extension. Hope they put it back together properly. I think I made the mistake of assuming that our 02 and 09 CRV's flawless long term reliability and build quality would be the same for all Hondas. Doesn't seem to be the case. Feel kind of bad that I lobbied for these guys to get Hondas.

·
Administrator
14,918 Posts
Along similar lines, Honda made me feel kind of stupid. I truly believed in the quality of their products. I felt they were the smartest choice due to their safety, reliability, and resale value. I praised and recommended them to friends, family and co-workers for well over a decade. I finally convinced my brother to buy his first new Honda - a '15 Civic and almost had my parents convinced to buy a new CR-V, but they ended up with another new Equinox. For years, I proudly boasted about Honda reliability and resale value. Unfortunately, Honda and their products have really disappointed me the last few years. I hate that because Honda was a daily part of the majority of my life since I was 10 years old. My two Mazdas (MX-5 and CX-5) have been a joy to own and drive. I have no plans to part with the MX-5 and have truly enjoyed driving the CX-5.

·
Super Moderator
1,431 Posts
It's funny, I've felt pretty strongly about the reliability of GM vehicles. They aren't always reliable of course but I've found that long term they actually have been pretty good overall. I've had quite of few along the years of ownership of course. With the latest one being the 12' SRX. It hasn't been perfect of course but like most vehicles if you pay attention to things you can assist in the reliability portion of a vehicle with regular maint of just minor items like brakes, fluids (oil and transmission) changes. And while every manufacturer has it's lemons I've been fortunate to find good ones along the way that I've been happy with. And I do love driving the SRX. It's actually quite a nice driving experience overall with the 305hp VVT V6 and the Haldex AWD system on it. It's big and heavy and it feels like a GM vehicle lol. I like that.

Steve

·
Registered
166 Posts
Every car company makes a turd now and then. The issues you see with cars tend to fall into two categories. Build quality and engineering/parts quality. Just about every vehicle I've ever owned (and I've owned dozens) has had to make a trip back to the dealer to fix something that wasn't right from the factory. So far, knock wood, my Ridgeline has been flawless. These problems typically manifest themselves during the warranty period which is why you have a warranty.

Then there are poorly engineered components, or cheaply made parts. When I buy a vehicle I typically comb internet forums like this one looking for the weak spots. For example, I wanted a Jeep Liberty diesel years back. Found out the torque converter was never designed for a diesel application and the lock up was set way too high causing it to overheat. After going through two torque converters under warranty, I was nearing the end of my warranty and I purchased a Suncoast converter designed for a diesel engine. I worked out a deal with the service manager to cover the labor if I supplied the part. He agreed and I never had another issue. It was simply a poor engineering choice by Chrysler to put that part behind that beastly little turbo diesel.

From what I've seen on this forum it doesn't appear many Ridgelines are catastrophically failing. Yeah, some had fuel injector issues, and some have had some tranny issues....but Honda isn't known for reliable automatic transmissions.

If you get past all the initial quality issues, and do your maintenance, most any vehicle will last a good long time. People talk about "they don't make them like they used to" and thank goodness for that. Old cars were piles of crap in most cases. I remember my dad trading a car before it hit 100,000 miles because after that it was junk. He drove about 30,000 miles a year, so he got a new car every three years.

The kicker for me is the cost and availability of parts, and how difficult the vehicle is to work on as I typically do my own work unless it involves removing the engine or transmission. Hondas have always been pretty friendly in that respect. Parts aren't too awfully expensive (as they are in, say, a BMW or Mercedes) and they aren't hard to get. There Ridgeline shares many parts with the Pilot and Passport and it's been made for several years.

I had a 90's era Accord when I was in college and I remember having to do a valve adjustment on it. A friend of mine called it a "piece of jap crap" as you didn't have to do valve adjustments on a big American V8. But it really wasn't a difficult job and didn't take me much time. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.

Now...timing belt changes suck. I hate doing them and probably won't do another on especially on an interference engine. Get things out of time and BANG!

·
Administrator
14,918 Posts
Found out the torque converter was never designed for a diesel application and the lock up was set way too high causing it to overheat. After going through two torque converters under warranty, I was nearing the end of my warranty and I purchased a Suncoast converter designed for a diesel engine. I worked out a deal with the service manager to cover the labor if I supplied the part. He agreed and I never had another issue. It was simply a poor engineering choice by Chrysler to put that part behind that beastly little turbo diesel.
You must mean "stall speed" instead of "lock up" since the latter is determined by software - not the torque converter.

From what I've seen on this forum it doesn't appear many Ridgelines are catastrophically failing. Yeah, some had fuel injector issues, and some have had some tranny issues....but Honda isn't known for reliable automatic transmissions.
It seems to me that "many" Ridgelines and Pilots have had fuel injector issues, but agree that only "some" have had transmission and torque converter issues. Honda can make a good transmission with "hardly any" failures such as the 5-speed in the 1G Ridgeline that had fewer reports of failures over 14 years than the 2G Ridgeline in 4 years. :)

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
You must mean "stall speed" instead of "lock up" since the latter is determined by software - not the torque converter.

I'd say "many" Ridgelines (and Pilots) had fuel injector issues, but agree that only "some" have had transmission and torque converter issues. Honda can make a good transmission with "hardly any" failures such as the 5-speed in the 1G Ridgeline that had fewer reports of failures over 14 years than the 2G Ridgeline in 4 years. :)
They can also make one of the best five-speed manual transmissions in the industry, but hardly anybody buys them.
:unsure:

41 - 51 of 51 Posts