Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

421 - 440 of 466 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
^^^I'm not expecting any major surprises. They've already made a big fuss over the new look and as zrog has posted, even the minor tweaks to the interior have been released. Though I think we're still waiting to see what the various (non-HPD) trims look like without the fender flares and bronze wheels, and what those special "packages" are all about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been entertaining a RTL-E ever since my friend bought his 2017. I'm also in a downsizing time of life selling my 24' fishing boat and my 2002 Ford diesel crew cab boat puller. I love the new "truck like" appearance of the front end, so I can't wait for the new Ridgeline to appear at my dealer. One question I have is about the adaptive cruise control. Does it work down to zero or still disengage at 29 mph?

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,194 Posts
One question I have is about the adaptive cruise control. Does it work down to zero or still disengage at 29 mph?
According to the press release, it does not seem to have the low speed follow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was expecting so much more....it really only appears to be a front end refresh, which is needed, and an improvement, but I see nothing here that will make me look to upgrade over my 2019.....
I agree as well, no real reason to upgrade I recently upgraded my wheels to Rhino Warlord, which look exactly like the new ones offered on the redesign

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,194 Posts
I agree as well, no real reason to upgrade I recently upgraded my wheels to Rhino Warlord, which look exactly like the new ones offered on the redesign
Warlord's look nothing like the bronze wheels on the 2021 promo truck (below). The Warlords (below) look very similar to the Gauntlet.

^^^Nice wheels...what's the offset and how much do they weigh?
18x8 are +35mm and 40lbs each, according to mfg.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,194 Posts
Yeah, crazy. I know. here is a small breakdown to put things into perspective.

The Rhino Warlord is a 18x8" +35mm with a load rating of 2700lbs and it weighs 40.0lbs each.

Below are two wheels that I recently purchased (in the last two years)
  • Velox Apex: 18x8" +40mm with a Load rating of 1675lbs and it weighs 25.8lbs each
  • MB Crux: 18x8" +42mm with a load rating of 2100lbs and it weighs 31.4lbs each

Comparing the Velox to the MB Crux, there is a 21.7% wheel weight increase, with 25.37% wheel load increase.
Comparing the Velox to the Warlord, there is a 55.04% wheel weight increase, with a 61.19% wheel load increase.
Comparing the MB to the Warlord, there is a 27.39% wheel weight increase, with a 28.5% wheel load increase.

Though the wheel weight is alarming, I think it is relevant to the loading it is rated for.
However, G1 min loading is 1622.50lbs and the G2 min is 1609.50lbs per wheel and going anything excessive over that is pointless and adds a penalty in various aspects of the vehicle.

Now back to the topic of 2021 G2 :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
View attachment 406421

The tire size remains the same, but the Firestone Destination LE2 has been discontinued and replaced by the LE3 (you can see the size and tire model in some of the videos). Interestingly, the tread pattern on the 2021 doesn't match the tread patter shown for the LE3. The LE3 on the 2021 Ridgeline appears to have a more aggressive tread pattern than what is shown elsewhere the LE3. I'm not sure if the Ridgeline gets a special version of the LE3 like it got a special version of the LE2 or if the images of the LE3 elsewhere aren't correct.
For what it is worth,I like the front end on the red R/L but not enough to trade my '18 in on until, say, 2025 or so!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Thinking about the re-designed front bumper and grille, what a shame that Honda missed an opportunity to add integrated front tow hooks to replace the nearly useless and lame single front "recovery hook" that's buried in the G2's subframe. Just incorporating the front tow hooks from the Rebel Rally Ridgeline would have been nice, but I suppose that might have altered frontal crash testing results.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thinking about the re-designed front bumper and grille, what a shame that Honda missed an opportunity to add integrated front tow hooks to replace the nearly useless and lame single front "recovery hook" that's buried in the G2's subframe. Just incorporating the front tow hooks from the Rebel Rally Ridgeline would have been nice, but I suppose that might have altered frontal crash testing results.
The only thing the recovery hooks did in my 8 years of F150 ownership was rust and look like crap. I think we need to remember the Ridgeline’s place in the market. It’s not offroad as much as the marketers or potential owners pretend it to be. Realistic owner’s like me are fine with that.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
...I think we need to remember the Ridgeline’s place in the market. It’s not offroad as much as the marketers or potential owners pretend it to be...
I've used the recovery hooks on my Subarus several times when driving on paved routes...same with my Ranger. At least Subaru lets you pop off small covers on the bumpers and screw in the hooks front or rear. Rav4's and some other SUVs do the same. In snow country where I live, it is all too easy to misjudge the edge of the road and get sucked into the ditch, or to hit black ice and slide off the pavement. WIth accessible tow/recovery hooks, a tow strap and a shovel to clear a path, you can often get a good samaritan to give you just enough tug to get back on the road without calling a tow truck. I've used those same recovery hooks to pull other vehicles back onto the road. Obviously, if there's too much of an incline or the vehicle is damaged, professional help is required.

Honda could have easily equipped the Ridgeline with a better front recovery system that would make it easier to get a stranded truck back on the road. Redesigning the front clip was a missed opportunity to do so. The G1 RL had sturdy accessible left and right front recovery hooks. The G2 deserves no less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the market for a new truck and I have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. I absolutely love the AWD vs. 4WD from 1/2 ton pickups and I don't know if I could live without the trunk in the truck bed of the Ridgelines.

But... I also am a huge adaptive cruise control fan. We have a 2018 Honda Odyssey with the same Adaptive Cruise Control that's in the 2017+ Honda Ridgelines but it drives me bonkers that it cuts out at 22mph! We also have a 2018 Honda CR-V that has full speed (Low Speed Follow) Adaptive Cruise Control which is amazing! They just just released this full speed range Adaptive Cruise Control on the 2021 Honda Odysseys and I'm PRAYING that the 2021 Ridgelines will have this same full speed range Adaptive Cruise Control (Low Speed Follow). My worry is that, to my knowledge at least, the 2021 Honda Pilots still only have the partial Adaptive Cruise Control that cuts out at 22mph and does not include Low Speed Follow. And I'm worried that this will be what's in the Ridgeline based on their platforms.

Can anyone make my day and tell me that the new 2021 Honda Ridgeline will have the full speed Adaptive Cruise Control with Low Speed Follow or am I just dreaming at this point!? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm in the market for a new truck and I have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. I absolutely love the AWD vs. 4WD from 1/2 ton pickups and I don't know if I could live without the trunk in the truck bed of the Ridgelines.

But... I also am a huge adaptive cruise control fan. We have a 2018 Honda Odyssey with the same Adaptive Cruise Control that's in the 2017+ Honda Ridgelines but it drives me bonkers that it cuts out at 22mph! We also have a 2018 Honda CR-V that has full speed (Low Speed Follow) Adaptive Cruise Control which is amazing! They just just released this full speed range Adaptive Cruise Control on the 2021 Honda Odysseys and I'm PRAYING that the 2021 Ridgelines will have this same full speed range Adaptive Cruise Control (Low Speed Follow). My worry is that, to my knowledge at least, the 2021 Honda Pilots still only have the partial Adaptive Cruise Control that cuts out at 22mph and does not include Low Speed Follow. And I'm worried that this will be what's in the Ridgeline based on their platforms.

Can anyone make my day and tell me that the new 2021 Honda Ridgeline will have the full speed Adaptive Cruise Control with Low Speed Follow or am I just dreaming at this point!? Thank you!
Just an educated guess based on a deep following of the G2. I doubt that anything on the electronics will change other than the newer software in the head unit. In fact, the auto stop/start harness on the 2020 is from the older 2016-17 Pilot system. The Ridgeline - even the 2020 - is the same exact wiring and design as the 2017. I'd bitch that it is all about maximizing profitability for Honda (which it is) but the fact that RLs are so heavily discounted when new, yet the residual values are high, makes up for it in my opinion.

Basically, a 2020 RTL-E is $38,500 or so and you still get features not even available in a loaded $45k Ranger makes me understand the 'value' of a G2 RL better. I think the 2021 will come out and still be priced aggressively from the beginning. The market will be a little bigger with the ruggedizing of the look but it is still a VERY limited audience vs half tons and even trucks like the Tacoma and Colorado.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an educated guess based on a deep following of the G2. I doubt that anything on the electronics will change other than the newer software in the head unit. In fact, the auto stop/start harness on the 2020 is from the older 2016-17 Pilot system. The Ridgeline - even the 2020 - is the same exact wiring and design as the 2017. I'd bitch that it is all about maximizing profitability for Honda (which it is) but the fact that RLs are so heavily discounted when new, yet the residual values are high, makes up for it in my opinion.

Basically, a 2020 RTL-E is $38,500 or so and you still get features not even available in a loaded $45k Ranger makes me understand the 'value' of a G2 RL better. I think the 2021 will come out and still be priced aggressively from the beginning. The market will be a little bigger with the ruggedizing of the look but it is still a VERY limited audience vs half tons and even trucks like the Tacoma and Colorado.
Yeah... that is my concern. I'm also eyeing down 2018+ F-150s as they have the full speed adaptive cruise control. I'd prefer the reliability and AWD of a RL, but I used to have a 2015 F-150 Platinum when my work paid for it and it was one of the nicest cars I've ever had. Surprisingly really quiet inside and a very smooth ride!

Would much rather have a Ridgeline for the reliability, AWD, and I don't necessarily need a 1/2 ton truck for what I'll be using it for, but I'm leaning that way right now since I can get a Used 2018 F-150 Platinum w/ relatively low miles for low-to-mid $40,000's.

I do love my 2006 Honda Ridgeline that I bought 2 years ago with 185k miles... the truck has literally given me ZERO problems. It's a 3rd car (truck) for me and is primarily used for my fishing trips and when I play hockey. It's got a small leak that occurs just inside the right front tire, but hasn't ever seemed to cause any problems. I'd love to just get that leak fixed (if it's not a rear main seal or something that would require engine removal)... but I also don't know how much the diagnostic would be to determine that and part of me just wants to dump it and get a newer truck before problems do start occurring.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yeah... that is my concern. I'm also eyeing down 2018+ F-150s as they have the full speed adaptive cruise control. I'd prefer the reliability and AWD of a RL, but I used to have a 2015 F-150 Platinum when my work paid for it and it was one of the nicest cars I've ever had. Surprisingly really quiet inside and a very smooth ride!

Would much rather have a Ridgeline for the reliability, AWD, and I don't necessarily need a 1/2 ton truck for what I'll be using it for, but I'm leaning that way right now since I can get a Used 2018 F-150 Platinum w/ relatively low miles for low-to-mid $40,000's.

I do love my 2006 Honda Ridgeline that I bought 2 years ago with 185k miles... the truck has literally given me ZERO problems. It's a 3rd car (truck) for me and is primarily used for my fishing trips and when I play hockey. It's got a small leak that occurs just inside the right front tire, but hasn't ever seemed to cause any problems. I'd love to just get that leak fixed (if it's not a rear main seal or something that would require engine removal)... but I also don't know how much the diagnostic would be to determine that and part of me just wants to dump it and get a newer truck before problems do start occurring.

Thoughts?
Even though the G1s are bulletproof for years, I'd refrain from putting even $1k into a 2006 with high miles unless you had no choice financially aka needed to keep driving it. The trade in value is low but it is still worth maximizing what you have. The G2 is not as bulletproof as the G1 (simply more to go wrong and direct injection vs the older MPI will usually be more troublesome longterm).

I had 2 RAM 1500s in between my 2010 G1 and two G2s. I had no issues with the RAMs including the 2015 EcoDiesel and really liked them. However, I also didn't need a half-ton and I knew the 'goodness' of the Ridgeline platform from my G1. I actually think the longer bed of the G2 (vs the G1) is MORE useful than the RAMs short bed.

I'm retired but do 10 hours a week of Amazon/Whole Foods and Roadie (Home Depot, TSC, etc) deliveries with my G2. I deliver a lot of crazy stuff and the G2 bed has never failed me (things like 200 lb 6 ft farm drags, huge fencing sections, assembled gas grills, outdoor furniture sets, etc). The rear seat flat floor when seats are folded is perfect for grocery deliveries and as you know holds some big items as well.

Basically, I NEED the RL platform and no other vehicle has the versatility of the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Even though the G1s are bulletproof for years, I'd refrain from putting even $1k into a 2006 with high miles unless you had no choice financially aka needed to keep driving it. The trade in value is low but it is still worth maximizing what you have. The G2 is not as bulletproof as the G1 (simply more to go wrong and direct injection vs the older MPI will usually be more troublesome longterm).

I had 2 RAM 1500s in between my 2010 G1 and two G2s. I had no issues with the RAMs including the 2015 EcoDiesel and really liked them. However, I also didn't need a half-ton and I knew the 'goodness' of the Ridgeline platform from my G1. I actually think the longer bed of the G2 (vs the G1) is MORE useful than the RAMs short bed.

I'm retired but do 10 hours a week of Amazon/Whole Foods and Roadie (Home Depot, TSC, etc) deliveries with my G2. I deliver a lot of crazy stuff and the G2 bed has never failed me (things like 200 lb 6 ft farm drags, huge fencing sections, assembled gas grills, outdoor furniture sets, etc). The rear seat flat floor when seats are folded is perfect for grocery deliveries and as you know holds some big items as well.

Basically, I NEED the RL platform and no other vehicle has the versatility of the Ridgeline.
This is a great analysis! Thank you! And I must say that I'm shocked that you didn't have any problems with the RAM trucks. Their reliability isn't known for being fantastic. But glad to hear!

Yeah... there's so much I love about the RLs... but I cannot stand being stuck in traffic and not having that full speed range Adaptive cruise control. So I'm heavily leaning towards a 2018 and newer F-150 (Platinum or Limited model, preferably... the massaging seats are so great!).

But in a few years when the RL adds the full speed Adaptive cruise control someday, I'll certainly be looking to get back into one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think Honda is playing way too conservatively with the Ridgeline. It's the perfect pick-up for 90% of pick-up buyers, yet the only time you see it advertised is passing views in a commercial shared with two other vehicles. I'm pretty sure they missed the boat when (in my opinion) they feminized the look of the Gen2. I owned 2008 and 2012 Gen1s concurrently for a few years, and still have my 2012 RTL. I was so excited to hear that a Gen2 was coming out, and kept up on the forums and in the magazines for any news or photographs. I was extremely disappointed when the Gen2 came out, but still wanted to force myself to like the truck enough to buy one. I can't warm up to the looks. Apparently, enough people feel like me that even the very conservative Honda company realized that their "sissified" looking Gen2 needed a face lift mid-life cycle. My wife and I just now dropped off my 2012 at a large Honda dealer and they have exactly 1 Ridgeline on the lot. I showed it to my wife and she said "it doesn't look like a real pick-up, especially from the front". The new 2021 hood/facelift I've seen in pictures helps, but the vehicle also needs a lift and an overall "meatier" appearance. Hopefully, the 2023 version addresses the looks without messing up the spirit of the Ridgeline. With "tougher" looking styling and an actual advertising campaign featuring the AWD, in-bed trunk, dual opening tailgate, etc. Honda just might real in a large portion of the 90% of buyers the truck is perfect for.

421 - 440 of 466 Posts