Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

441 - 460 of 493 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
...The new 2021 hood/facelift I've seen in pictures helps, but the vehicle also needs a lift and an overall "meatier" appearance. Hopefully, the 2023 version addresses the looks without messing up the spirit of the Ridgeline. With "tougher" looking styling and an actual advertising campaign featuring the AWD, in-bed trunk, dual opening tailgate, etc. Honda just might real in a large portion of the 90% of buyers the truck is perfect for.
Honda seems to be headed that way, but they think the RL is already tougher than its "sleek styling" would suggest. See this related thread: "Honda gets rugged in new brand campaign".

Whether the Gen3 gets lifted or tougher looking is anyone's guess, but I think it makes sense to offer an HPD package that actually enhances off-pavement capability with more ground clearance, skidplates and AT tires. Even so, those "real truck" devotees aren't likely to embrace a pickup with unibody construction, front drive bias, transverse engine and no 4WD Low Range.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I think Honda is playing way too conservatively with the Ridgeline. It's the perfect pick-up for 90% of pick-up buyers, yet the only time you see it advertised is passing views in a commercial shared with two other vehicles. I'm pretty sure they missed the boat when (in my opinion) they feminized the look of the Gen2.......................................................
LOL, too funny! :ROFLMAO:

The term Toxic Masculinity comes to mind........................ :unsure:

Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nope, I don’t suffer from toxic masculinity. The current truck looks too metro sexual. All of the best selling trucks are marketed to guys who don’t favor skinny jeans or man buns. They look tough and people perceive them that way. I’d venture to say that 80% of the buying public wouldn’t know the difference between body-on-frame or unibody. They do know what trucks look good and many won’t even think to shop the current Ridgeline based on looks alone. Like I said, I’ve owned 2 Gen1s and still own a 2012 RTL. Love the trucks, but can’t stomach what Honda did to the looks of the Gen2. The front end is too car-like, the bed depth was reduced and the truck sits too low. The current Ridge is a great, practical vehicle, but most buyers won’t entertain it. Honda knows it and are hoping the redesigned front end boosts sales. I’ll wait for the 2023 and hope I can buy a new Ridge again.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Looks are subjective. The look of the Gen2 with the Pilot front end has really grown on me over time and I think it looks good. I don't find the F150 look all that appealing, but a lot of people seem to like it. The newer Tacoma front end looks ridiculous to me, but a lot of people seem to like that one too. I personally don't care too much about the look as long as it's not overdone one way or the other. The Ram has not appealed to me in the past just because they slap an emblem on everything. The last one I rode in was so over the top and I found it very distasteful. The new Ridgeline front end seems decent to me, but it wouldn't make me buy it or not buy it. I am curious if driving it you get as good a view as you do in the previous style.

I think you can find things you like and don't like about all of them. You just make the best choice you can for yourself and hope for the best. There's no point in getting too emotional about it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looks are subjective. The look of the Gen2 with the Pilot front end has really grown on me over time and I think it looks good. I don't find the F150 look all that appealing, but a lot of people seem to like it. The newer Tacoma front end looks ridiculous to me, but a lot of people seem to like that one too. I personally don't care too much about the look as long as it's not overdone one way or the other. The Ram has not appealed to me in the past just because they slap an emblem on everything. The last one I rode in was so over the top and I found it very distasteful. The new Ridgeline front end seems decent to me, but it wouldn't make me buy it or not buy it. I am curious if driving it you get as good a view as you do in the previous style.

I think you can find things you like and don't like about all of them. You just make the best choice you can for yourself and hope for the best. There's no point in getting too emotional about it.
You point out exactly the way I feel about the G2 and the current state of the truck market. I’ve been driving pickups of various types since ‘96 and they’ve just got bigger and bigger. I came off driving a 2013 F150 Platinum for 280,000km which is now our work “delivery truck”. I drove my old F150 for the first time in nearly 3 months today after getting my 2020. Ridge. Wow, what a difference. F150 feels like a lumbering pig next to my Ridge. Way too high, way too large of a hood, things you don’t notice until you try something different. I was all set to get another F150 because I didn’t like any other truck on the market. I knew what the mid-sized market offered and wasn’t interested in those either because the Ridge completely missed my radar until I started seeing reviews. Yes, the G2 looked different at first but boy has it grown on me. I bought a Touring (RTL-E) without even test driving one. Haven’t looked back since August. I love this thing. I know despise all these brodozing unnecessarily oversized beasts of trucks you see now. Take a step back and look at nearly every other truck on the market and they are ridiculously designed. The Tacoma looks hideous for instance. The new and old Rams? How can the Ridge get panned when these ugly monsters exist? I do find the F150s to be the least offensive of the lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I totally agree about the handling dynamics of the Ridge vs. the other pick-ups. I’ve been through dirt/gravel trails and deep snow with mine and the AWD had never left me stranded, even when pretty much trying to get stuck in deep, unplowed snow. Back on pavement, they drive like lifted sedans. LOVE the truck, but the styling leaves me (and nearly everybody I’ve asked for their thoughts) totally flat. The G1 took a little time to grow on me, but alas the current G2 never will. I’m glad enough people find the styling OK, and I hope they continue to purchase enough Ridgelines to give Honda the confidence to bring a restyled 2023 to market. The truck, and we diehards, deserve it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You point out exactly the way I feel about the G2 and the current state of the truck market. I’ve been driving pickups of various types since ‘96 and they’ve just got bigger and bigger. I came off driving a 2013 F150 Platinum for 280,000km which is now our work “delivery truck”. I drove my old F150 for the first time in nearly 3 months today after getting my 2020. Ridge. Wow, what a difference. F150 feels like a lumbering pig next to my Ridge. Way too high, way too large of a hood, things you don’t notice until you try something different. I was all set to get another F150 because I didn’t like any other truck on the market. I knew what the mid-sized market offered and wasn’t interested in those either because the Ridge completely missed my radar until I started seeing reviews. Yes, the G2 looked different at first but boy has it grown on me. I bought a Touring (RTL-E) without even test driving one. Haven’t looked back since August. I love this thing. I know despise all these brodozing unnecessarily oversized beasts of trucks you see now. Take a step back and look at nearly every other truck on the market and they are ridiculously designed. The Tacoma looks hideous for instance. The new and old Rams? How can the Ridge get panned when these ugly monsters exist? I do find the F150s to be the least offensive of the lot.
I drove a G1 from 2011 to 2019. The Ford dealer's about 2 blocks from the Honda place, so on the way to test drive the G2 my wife and I stopped and drove an F150 just to see something different first. As you noted, it felt ginormous, though I have to say the back seat area was impressive - just so much space. I'm about 5'11, but felt like I had to stretch to look into the bed, vs. my 2019 G2 - can literally reach everything in the bed without climbing in!

I think the Ford is a nice truck, the 2.7 6cyl felt nice and smooth, and it's well-suited for some duties, but for me all that hugeness just feels so unnecessary. My Ridgeline does just about anything I can think of doing with a pickup.

I wasn't crazy about the front end of the G2....but it's grown on me some too, and I really don't care that much - can't see it when I drive it. However I do like the look of the rear end. Just pulled in the drive behind it this evening, and it looks plenty trucky to me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks more "trucky", but I am not especially enamored with it. It reminds me just a bit too much of a tacoma, but maybe I would have a different impression in person.
I'm not digging the trend towards the big truck look. Toyota did the same with the Pre-Runner which was one factor in my decision not to buy another (owned two) after ditching my Tundra RV hauler. I prefer functional streamlining over macho/fad decoration.

It's going to be fun driving around Houston with big bold HPD logos on the sides of the truck.
I prefer a low profile in my old age. Nobody I need to impress.

Meh. Basically the same truck with a boob job.

I'm still going to trade in my excellent 2017 RTL with 160K miles for a low mileage 2019 RTL-E. Basically the same truck as the 2021 without the falsies and the new transmission I don't need.
The 2019 RTL-T carries alot of extras that used to be in the 2017 RTL-E. I went from the 2017 RTL-L to the 2019 RTL-T and was pleasantly surprised with the extra stuff. Saved some money, regardless of the trade-in loss.

Now that I've had a few hours to digest the changes, here are my opinions.

I applaud the more upright front end. My biggest beef with the 2017-2020 design wasn't that it was "aerodynamic", but it was too easily confused with the Pilot. I probably would have welcome any change that would differentiate it from the Pilot and Passport and, quite frankly, I'm very surprised Honda switched to unique sheet metal and fenders for the Ridgeline.

The fog lights appear to be smaller, LED, and with a different/thicker lens. Hopefully, this decreased frontal area will reduce the propensity for shattering. I did NOT enjoy replacing the one that cracked on my 2019.

After seeing Ridgelines on the road for 15 years and owning 5 of them for more than half that time, the dual, round exhaust outlets look like a cheap, out-of-place, aftermarket modification. I was just fine with and tend to prefer the hidden exhaust - at least on a vehicle like the Ridgeline.

I'm glad the HPD package is optional because I don't care for any of the cosmetic changes it brings. I'm anxious to see what the standard grill and wheels look like.

I'm glad to see a volume knob return. I'll take one over a virtual knob, but it's not necessarily a deal-breaker. I would like to see updated graphics and speed, but I never had any significant complaints about the 2017-2019 system.

I welcome the contrast stitching and anything else that can make the otherwise boring interior more interesting.

I'm glad to see LED low-beam headlights become standard - they are desperately needed to improve the terrible headlights on the 2017-2019 models below the RTL-E. I do wish they would have included LED high beams as well.

I can do without a wireless charger unless wireless Apple CarPlay is also included.

I'm glad to see turn signals in the mirrors. Without them, you can't see the turn signals from the side which is why they are standard on Canadian models.

I like the smaller front turn signals - the 2017-2019 version looks cartoonishly large by comparison.

I'm indifferent toward the tire change, but the LE3 is supposed to last longer than the LE2 and I'd welcome that improvement.
Agree but FWIW, the Pilot was produced from the G2 Ridgeline drawing. The Pilots actually look like the Ridgeline. So happens the Pilots were produced first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like a lot of what they have done. Looking forward to seeing the non HPD models. Not a big fan of the tacked on "flares". Front end is pretty good.

I want the ability to get ventilated seats (and in a color other than black). Would like to see that Dark Green make it's way onto the Ridgeline.

I would also like to see Honda consider a Hybrid, after all Ford and Dodge are going there with their trucks.

Let's see what the pricing and deals look like!
You won't want to see the Hybrid repair bills however!

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,198 Posts
Agree but FWIW, the Pilot was produced from the G2 Ridgeline drawing. The Pilots actually look like the Ridgeline. So happens the Pilots were produced first.
I am curious; where did you come to know of that?

·
Administrator
16,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
Based on comments from @csimo years ago, it is my understanding that Honda had a very different 2G Ridgeline almost ready before pulling the plug on it. The only way Honda would ultimately approve a 2G Ridgeline was if it could be based on the already-ready Pilot. I don't believe the Pilot was styled after the Ridgeline - I believe it was the other way around.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Based on comments from @csimo years ago, it is my understanding that Honda had a very different 2G Ridgeline almost ready before pulling the plug on it. The only way Honda would ultimately approve a 2G Ridgeline was if it could be based on the already-ready Pilot. I don't believe the Pilot was styled after the Ridgeline - I believe it was the other way around.
I concur with this

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
As we near the end of November, I imagine we'll be seeing this baby make an appearance before long. : )

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
One of the dumber phrases Ive heard lately.
I suspect that you may be a candidate for the toxic masculinity label along with its sibling "white male privilege". A characteristic of both toxic masculinity and especially white male privilege is denial.

·
Registered
Future Ridgeline owner 91'Dak 13' Focus 12' Fusion
35 Posts
As we near the end of November, I imagine we'll be seeing this baby make an appearance before long. : )
I would like to see it up on their website at least so you could see if there are any new paint options and price increases

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like all the changes that are coming the 2021 model year. I always thought it would be cool to have dual exhausts with cutouts in the bumper like the Ram, but never thought Honda would do it!

The two things I really wanted was folding side mirrors & ventilated seats. I don't understand why the Canadian models get them but not the US.

There was nothing about the 2020 that would motivate me to trade my 2017, but I will definitely be trading for the 2021.

441 - 460 of 493 Posts