Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

681 - 700 of 887 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,461 Posts
Not what I was told. The exact words to me were "literally this vehicle will be shipped to us with your name on it". I gave them the $1K so its on the dealership to get the goods for me no matter how they do it.
Never trust a dealer. They will tell you anything to make a sale.

They will be hoping they get a HPD BE to sell to you, or they will check other dealer inventories and do a swap to get your truck. They cannot guarantee that Honda will build and ship them what they want, they can only put in requests.

·
Administrator
16,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #682
...HPD package MUST be installed at the factory.
This conflicts with information directly from Honda.

"Part of a new group of post-production options (PPO), the [HPD] package will be available on all Ridgeline trims and is one of four new PPO packages that include Utility, Function and Function+ packages."

In the automotive industry, PPO refers to an option that is installed after the vehicle leaves the factory by the dealer or owner. Some vehicles that are imported have PIO (Port-Install Options). Honda doesn't have factory options like most automakers, but if they did they would be considered RPO (Regular Production Option) or FIO (Factory-Installed Option).

I suspect that Honda is having the HPD package installed on initial shipments during a fixed allocation period after which the HPD package will be dealer-installed.

Also no confirmation of what exactly comes with the HPD package except for what you can see in the pictures.
From the same press release:

"The new HPD Package adds a unique grille treatment, black fender flares, aggressive bronze-colored wheels, and special HPD graphics on the bed walls."

Not what I was told. The exact words to me were "literally this vehicle will be shipped to us with your name on it". I gave them the $1K so its on the dealership to get the goods for me no matter how they do it.
They lied. Honda does not and has never built-to-order like most other automakers. They build in batches of identical models. Dealers can only communicate their request for a particular trim and color based on the number of vehicles in an allotment period through the APEX (Allocation Preferencing and EXchange) system. Honda doesn't build a vehicle specifically for any dealer or buyer - they build a batch of identical vehicles that then get distributed based on preference.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I suspect that Honda is having the HPD package installed on initial shipments during a fixed allocation period after which the HPD package will be dealer-installed.
This makes the most sense. That's why a window sticker denoting the HPD package would have been nice to see.. It's gotta be expensive for the wheels alone if it's a dealer installed accessory.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Never thought I would say this, but I like the bronze wheels against the black truck. I would consider the package without the flares.

After showing this thread to my local long time sales guy he then took it to his Sr. managers at the dealership. I want a Black Edition with the HPD package.

I was told that starting Monday the 18th dealerships can start special ordering Back Editions with the HPD package for customers as this is the only way such a combination can be acquired since the HPD package MUST be installed at the factory. Unfortunately I was also told the ETA of the vehicle to the dealership was sometime in May with a manufacture date of April. None the less I put down the required $1K deposit. The dealer at this point also has no pricing so I had to pre-order it sight unseen. Also no confirmation of what exactly comes with the HPD package except for what you can see in the pictures. I was hoping for it including running boards bit don't see them in in any pictures. Also no idea if the "base" BE differences are still the same as the 2020 model.

Any idea if this timeframe seems legit or the dealership / Honda is just throwing a crazy date out?
You got got my friend. Never trust a dealer. The dealer basically created the illusion of scarcity and took your money from you. I would get it back and go to another dealer.

The dealer I am working with said we could discuss pricing on the 20th. What he doesn't know is I am going to grind him down for three months if he wants anything more than 31k pre tax for a Sport. Everyone freaks out and wants the newest model as soon as possible. I will sit back and wait for them to call me with the price I want.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This makes the most sense. That's why a window sticker denoting the HPD package would have been nice to see.. It's gotta be expensive for the wheels alone if it's a dealer installed accessory.
If I were to guess, the HPD cars would have the wheels and grill done on the line at the factory, while fender flares and decals would be the responsibility of the dealer. Way too much work to swap out the grill and wheels at the dealer level...let alone the logistics of keeping HPD items in inventory at the dealer level.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agreed - how do you know when a dealer / salesman is lying? His lips are moving of course... I actually feel good I was able to put down a deposit and they said it was "ordered" - this gives me the right to bug them relentlessly until I get my truck. In practice however as everyone has said they are just hoping they get one "allocated" or they can horse trade for one. Common sense dictates that since I am looking for the highest trim level available + the HPD package it would be the scarcest available. At first before I sent the link to this thread they said production of ANY of the 2021 models wasn't going to start until March. Obviously untrue.

The specific reason given to me for the HPD package needing to come from the factory was the installation of decals actually. I guess they are hard to get exactly right at the dealership?

On a site topic what do you guys think about getting a ceramic coating applied professionally by a 3rd party as soon as I drive it off of the lot?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Agreed - how do you know when a dealer / salesman is lying? His lips are moving of course... I actually feel good I was able to put down a deposit and they said it was "ordered" - this gives me the right to bug them relentlessly until I get my truck. In practice however as everyone has said they are just hoping they get one "allocated" or they can horse trade for one. Common sense dictates that since I am looking for the highest trim level available + the HPD package it would be the scarcest available. At first before I sent the link to this thread they said production of ANY of the 2021 models wasn't going to start until March. Obviously untrue.

The specific reason given to me for the HPD package needing to come from the factory was the installation of decals actually. I guess they are hard to get exactly right at the dealership?

On a site topic what do you guys think about getting a ceramic coating applied professionally by a 3rd party as soon as I drive it off of the lot?
I wouldn’t trust a dealer to wash my truck let alone install a decal that big.

You certainly get priority at the dealer but you also sort of played your hand and they will likely try hard to get you to pay top dollar once it comes in. Just have to be okay with that.

Ceramic, if high quality and installed well, is great. I would probably go with a high quality film though at that price. It will actually protect against rocks and swirl marks. Think or ceramic as an extra thick and strong semi permanent wax.

Tell that dealer not to wash your truck when it arrives.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
If I were to guess, the HPD cars would have the wheels and grill done on the line at the factory, while fender flares and decals would be the responsibility of the dealer. Way too much work to swap out the grill and wheels at the dealer level...let alone the logistics of keeping HPD items in inventory at the dealer level.
The last thing Honda would want is for inventory to sit on the lot if someone doesn't want the HPD package. There are so few Ridgelines built as it is so my thinking is it would be easier to control at the dealer level instead of allocating the HPD package to a percentage of all trims. I could be wrong though as the price of the flares and grill even at Bernari prices is close to 850 bucks and that's without install. Add wheels and that could be the price of going up a trim level so it would be cheaper to do it at the factory. I don't think folks care about those parts bin accessory fender flares and certainly not pay for them. Fortunately, we should have an official answer soon.

·
Administrator
16,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
I've made two observations:

1. Honda is really pushing the HPD package - it's the only photos they've released and all 2021 Ridgelines seen so far have had the HPD package.
2. The vast majority of comments including those from Ridgeline owners is negative - particularly about the fender flares.

Like Honda's HPD package, Toyota's TRD Sport package is appearance only. You have to get the TRD Off-Road or TRD Pro packages to get functional upgrades. Nearly a third of all Tacomas for sale are equipped with the appearance-only TRD Sport package, so it's got some appeal - I'm just not convinced the HPD package will offer the same success.

On the surface, it just seems like a desperate cash grab to me and I don't think it's going to do much for sales.

It's rarely discussed (and I've never seen it), but Honda offers an Adventure Package on the 2020 Ridgeline for $4,775 which gets you:
  • Sport Grille
  • Black Running Boards
  • Fender Flares
  • Front Skid Plate
  • 18-in Diamond Cut Alloy Wheels
  • Crossbars
  • Black Roof Rails
I'd guess the HPD package will be somewhere between $2,000 and $3,000.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I remember when having an additional airbag (on the side?) was an option on Accords I remember A/C being a dealer installed option I think on my Mom's 90 Integra. My mom's 80 and Dad's 82 Accords came without radios which my dad kept that way:rolleyes: This Ridgeline refresh reminds me of the Passport rollout in 2019. There was an introduction and they were coming off the assembly line shortly thereafter, sooner than expected. It's going to be a tough pill to swallow if buyers are going to pay for two grilles and two sets of wheels if the HPD is a dealer installed accessory.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,491 Posts
Mentioned it earlier but if folks like the HPD except for the flares, I'm assuming you could specify that and dealer could uninstall(unless they drill holes that would be visible if flares not installed). Probably still pay for the whole package, but if buy, sell those flares online or dump em in with he rest of your plastic trash recycling. 😉
Flares are almost cetainly stick on. The HPD stripe decal is designed to work with the flares. It would look stupid (more than it already does:) ) without the flares.

·
Super Moderator
5,448 Posts
Flares are almost cetainly stick on. The HPD stripe decal is designed to work with the flares. It would look stupid (more than it already does:) ) without the flares.
I was under the assumption the flares are secured with screws and/or plastic clips, much the same as the regular plastic fender protection around the wheel well on all G2's.

Reactions: eurban

·
Registered
14 Posts
2. The vast majority of comments including those from Ridgeline owners is negative - particularly about the fender flares.

Like Honda's HPD package, Toyota's TRD Sport package is appearance only. You have to get the TRD Off-Road or TRD Pro packages to get functional upgrades. Nearly a third of all Tacomas for sale are equipped with the appearance-only TRD Sport package, so it's got some appeal - I'm just not convinced the HPD package will offer the same success.
The main difference between the TRD and HPD: TRD actually improves the looks. If the fender flares didn't stick out nearly as far and the rims weren't such an ugly color I'd think about it, but as is there's no way. I just hope that doesn't mean I'll be waiting for a while for an RTL-E without HPD to roll off the line.

·
Administrator
16,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #696
The car salesman in the video states that Radiant Red will be a new color. At first, I was skeptical since he also said Honda will only be making AWD Ridgelines which is contrary to the press release.
I was just told by Marcus Dockter, a district sales manager for Honda, that the 2021 Ridgeline will no longer be available in 2WD. If that's correct, the press release is wrong and the entry price for a Ridgeline will now be over $37,000 which is up over $8,000 from the 2019 RT. The 2WD model accounted for only about 5% of 2017-2020 sales and there was very little demand for the lowest-priced RT trim.

·
Administrator
16,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #697
CONFIRMED! Radiant Red added. AWD now standard. HPD package priced at $2,800. MSRP now starts at $37,665. City fuel economy down by 1 MPG from 19 to 18 over 2020. On sale February 2.

·
Registered
225 Posts
New Sport wheels are sort of cool. The non HPD grille is decent, but I think I will try to get the dealer to include the HPD grille when I buy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Did I read the press release correctly that all models have wireless charging? You've got to hope they add wireless CarPlay via an update sooner or later.

681 - 700 of 887 Posts