Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is the complete package of documents I received in the mail direct from Honda Financial Services after purchasing the plan from one of the often mentioned Honda dealers offering below MSRP Honda Care Contract quotes through their website. Personal identifying info is redacted of course.

This is for a "New Honda" plan (a "Cxx" or "Dxx" plan code); "Near New Honda" plans ("Fxx" or "Gxx" plan codes) may differ ; please contact one of the selling dealers to get info on the cutoff months / miles after first in-service eligibility for the different plans specific to your vehicle.

This is current as of the date of this post, anything is subject to change by Honda over time of course.

The PDF scan is text-searchable. Perhaps of particular interest is "What is NOT Covered", beginning on PDF page 6.

Just FYI for those who would like to read all of the 'fine print' before purchasing. :)

NOT recommending an extended service contract for any particular individual - only YOU can decide if it's right for YOU. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Honda Care covers failed parts. If you have a part that is installed incorrectly or assembled incorrectly you are not covered. I've mentioned this before. On my 14 Accord there was a loose strut bolt causing a terrible noise in the front end. The fix was mentioned in a TSB which was to basically install a new nut. I waited until the noise got bad enough that I could duplicate for the dealer. Problem was I was outside the 3/36 so the repair was on me. I thought HondaCare would simply take over for the 3/36 for the covered items but that wasn't the case. Point is don't assume that you are covered (because the part is not mentioned on the not covered list). HondaCare which is a separate entity from Honda should make this clear Overall, it's worth it but buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Attached is the complete package of documents I received in the mail direct from Honda Financial Services after purchasing the plan from one of the often mentioned Honda dealers offering below MSRP Honda Care Contract quotes through their website.
Thank-you!

Bill

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
when reading these contracts prior to purchasing, you have to read between the lines and ask very specific questions
IMO "reading between the lines" is a dangerous practice fraught with pitfalls and exactly what should be avoided - most folks doing that tend to 'fill in' what they would like to see when they do that. IMO a strictly unbiased and literal 'read' is what's in order to understand each party's obligations and the interpretation most likely to be held as binding by an attorney, arbiter, or court.

Verbal representations by sales representatives are equally treacherous - they carry absolutely no binding weight insofar as administration of the Contract; at 'best' they may serve as a basis for an action relating to sales fraud - a type of action that is a real PITA to pursue IMO (best avoided by taking all such representations with a dose of salt and then exercising your right of full refund promptly upon receiving and reading the complete Contract).

The contract clearly states in all caps bold: "THIS CONTRACT IS NOT MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN INSURANCE, AN EXPRESS IMPLIED, GENERAL OR EXTENSION OF A WARRANTY …."

To the points about 'loose bolts' vs 'parts' - Article II "Coverage" and the definition of Key Term "Mechanical Breakdown" make the distinction explicitly clear if you don't 'read between the lines'. As you point out these contracts cover "parts" - and IMO there's nothing one can glean from a literal reading of the terms that implies otherwise.

Note too that this Contract can be cancelled for a FULL refund within 60 days; that's a purchaser's window of opportunity to read the actual contract they receive in detail and 'back out without penalty' if they find any term objectionable. Most states also have a statutory period for getting a full refund following purchase of such contracts under a consumer protection law, but some of those are shorter than 60 days. My post of the documents is simply to give potential consumers a 'leg up' on that process - but of course one should carefully read the actual Contract they receive if they make a purchase.

Again, not saying a Service Contract is for anyone in particular - only YOU can decide if it's for YOU.

·
Registered
43 Posts
IMO "reading between the lines" is a dangerous practice fraught with pitfalls and exactly what should be avoided - most folks doing that tend to 'fill in' what they would like to see when they do that. IMO a strictly unbiased and literal 'read' is what's in order to understand each party's obligations and the interpretation most likely to be held as binding by an attorney, arbiter, or court.

Verbal representations by sales representatives are equally treacherous - they carry absolutely no binding weight insofar as administration of the Contract; at 'best' they may serve as a basis for an action relating to sales fraud - a type of action that is a real PITA to pursue IMO (best avoided by taking all such representations with a dose of salt and then exercising your right of full refund promptly upon receiving and reading the complete Contract).

The contract clearly states in all caps bold: "THIS CONTRACT IS NOT MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN INSURANCE, AN EXPRESS IMPLIED, GENERAL OR EXTENSION OF A WARRANTY …."

To the points about 'loose bolts' vs 'parts' - Article II "Coverage" and the definition of Key Term "Mechanical Breakdown" make the distinction explicitly clear if you don't 'read between the lines'. As you point out these contracts cover "parts" - and IMO there's nothing one can glean from a literal reading of the terms that implies otherwise.

Note too that this Contract can be cancelled for a FULL refund within 60 days; that's a purchaser's window of opportunity to read the actual contract they receive in detail and 'back out without penalty' if they find any term objectionable. Most states also have a statutory period for getting a full refund following purchase of such contracts under a consumer protection law, but some of those are shorter than 60 days. My post of the documents is simply to give potential consumers a 'leg up' on that process - but of course one should carefully read the actual Contract they receive if they make a purchase.

Again, not saying a Service Contract is for anyone in particular - only YOU can decide if it's for YOU.
Did you purchase the Honda Care contract?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: islandtime
1 - 8 of 8 Posts