Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

301 - 320 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thank CentrexG2

I wish I could give more than one Thumbs UP.

I had been reading some of the transcripts of the Saccucci vs Honda case and found it amusing that other Honda Dealers were complaining that internet sales were "Making the Dealer look bad, and in turn making Honda look bad". If you don't want to look bad (Dealers here) then don't gouge the buyer with drastically inflated prices.

Honda, actually liked the idea of online sales of VSC's and paid handsome bonuses on contract volume. It was only after Honda Dealers complained about it that Honda moved to ban the practice.

Your explanation of the process/procedure of online advertising, off line purchase cleared up a lot of my doubts about possible problems "down the line" and being more informed makes me a more confident purchaser.

Just another reason ROC and its members are such a valuable source of information. In the short time I have lurked here, I have learned a lot about the Ridgeline, what others are paying, strategy of the purchase. The money I have saved in purchasing far below MSRP, and in getting the best price on Honda Care is well worth the price of membership!

Thanks to everyone who share their experience knowledge in this thread and others.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,722 Posts
….. I had been reading some of the transcripts of the Saccucci vs Honda case and found it amusing that other Honda Dealers were complaining that internet sales were "Making the Dealer look bad, and in turn making Honda look bad". ...
Yes, the case is interesting reading and but Honda did prevail back in 2010.

Nonetheless, the subsequent many years of discount sales by Saccucci and Hyannis (among others), and the absence of interweb flames about problems with those discount HC products (undoubtedly hundreds if not thousands now sold), IMO surely indicates that the 'workaround' has benefited those dealers as well as American Honda Finance and their customers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
As a followup, I purchased an 8 year 100K plan from Hyannis Honda Care this morning, The transaction was painless, and Shaun got me signed up in just a few minutes.

One dealership quoted "$3000 but for you, we'll give it to you for $2500", yeah they were REALLY going to give it to me! I saved enough dollars for a great aftermarket tonneau cover!

·
Registered
94 Posts
As a followup, I purchased an 8 year 100K plan from Hyannis Honda Care this morning, The transaction was painless, and Shaun got me signed up in just a few minutes.

One dealership quoted "$3000 but for you, we'll give it to you for $2500", yeah they were REALLY going to give it to me! I saved enough dollars for a great aftermarket tonneau cover!
While I only have 12000 miles on our one year old 2018 RTLE, I have interest in getting am extended warranty. There reason ? I keep , and hope to keep this truck, for very long times, our last accord, 18 years 180k miles.
With that in mind, what did you pay Jorg? PM Direct if your rather not say, hopefully I didn't miss the $$ amount while skimming this thread. I didn't buy it from the finance manager, my thoughts were I would have more time to shop, and ROC reading had educated me that a purchase later and online might save $ and stress of knowing if i was really getting a fair deal. I will say the dealer offered, when I said no, "its a honda" he was really polite about not pushing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone purchased an extended waranty through the dealer? Is it worth it?
Thanks so much for this thread! Just purchased a 19 Ridgeline and the 6 year 120 mile warranty seemed like a good idea. Dealership dropped the price from $3400 to $2100, and I bought it. After exploring the link below, found the same Honda warranty for $900 out of the Florida dealership. Just canceled the original $2100 deal as they could not come close to matching it. You guys are awesome! BTW, I am so happy with my 2019 RTL-T Ridgeline!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I disagree getting an extended warranty but make sure you have all the scheduled maintenance documented if a warranty repair occurs. Looks like you did get a good price though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I went with the extended warranty on my RL. Much like drednot, I kept saying no and the price kept falling. Finally got to the same number and said no one more time. The dealer came back with 500.00 and upping the coverage to 8yr/120K and I bit. My main reason was not for the power train, but for all the electronics. Now here's to hoping I never have to use it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi All,

I am the proud new owner of a 2018 RTL-E Ridgeline that I bought this weekend, Certified Pre-Owned, with 33,000 miles on it.

Through a local authorized dealer I can purchase an additional 5 years, 120,000 miles of Honda Care (taking my car to 156,000 miles once it expires) for $1,490. The inclusion of roadside assistance, if I understand the package correctly, has extra appeal to me since I would effectively be able to cancel my AAA and capture 'savings' there over time, and even more savings if my wife wanted to cancel the AAA we have on her CR-V (though she doesn't like the idea of the roadside assistance towing requiring the vehicle be brought to a Honda dealership - so I have to clarify that piece).

That said, do any of you have thoughts on whether or not this is worth the expense? The last time I drove a Honda I got it to 180,000 miles with nothing but brakes and tires, before somebody hit me on the highway and totaled it. So my tendency is not to purchase warranties like this, especially on something as reliable as a Honda. I understand it's a #s game to an extent, but all of the electronic bells and whistles on this truck has me wondering if the coverage might actually be worth it.

Any thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,722 Posts
FWIW insofar as just the roadside assistance, I have often found better options from my auto insurance carrier and/or credit card providers than through vehicle warranties. Often they offer fewer restrictions and more participating service providers (less waiting). They may charge nominal 'subscription' fees or nominal 'per service fees', but IMO should be among the options you at least investigate for that service. You may be pleasantly surprised by what your credit card already provides as a starting point if you look into that.

It's a long thread but there's already plenty of good reading here about the pros / cons / philosophies of extended warranties as a general concept. All of your questions about that have already been answered IMO, you're already in the right thread to read.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also just bought the extended warranty for the RTL-E I just purchased.
I've never had a car with this much tech in it, so it's worth the peace of mind.

I got quotes from Hyannis, Saccucci, and Curry. I picked up the 7 yr/80000, since I'm very certain I'll hit 7 years before 80,000.
Hyannis was the cheapest of the three, so I went with them, very quick and easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FWIW insofar as just the roadside assistance, I have often found better options from my auto insurance carrier and/or credit card providers than through vehicle warranties. Often they offer fewer restrictions and more participating service providers (less waiting). They may charge nominal 'subscription' fees or nominal 'per service fees', but IMO should be among the options you at least investigate for that service. You may be pleasantly surprised by what your credit card already provides as a starting point if you look into that.

It's a long thread but there's already plenty of good reading here about the pros / cons / philosophies of extended warranties as a general concept. All of your questions about that have already been answered IMO, you're already in the right thread to read.
I'm reading the terms for the Honda Care warranty i just bought. It mentions we get auto signed up with Cross Country Motor Club, Inc for roadside assistance at no cost to us. I've never heard of them, but here's the text:

YOU are entitled to the following membership benefits, among others, from CCMC: (i) towing to the nearest HONDA DEALER or repair facility required as a result of a MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN or VEHICLE accident/ collision; (ii) emergency trip interruption reimbursement; (iii) flat tire change (with YOUR good spare); (iv) battery boost (jump start); (v) emergency fuel delivery; (vi) lockout assistance; and (vii) computerized trip routing and map services. In most instances, service will be provided on a “sign and drive” basis at no cost to YOU (up to the specified covered limit). See YOUR CCMC membership guidelines for details.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi All,

I am the proud new owner of a 2018 RTL-E Ridgeline that I bought this weekend, Certified Pre-Owned, with 33,000 miles on it.

Through a local authorized dealer I can purchase an additional 5 years, 120,000 miles of Honda Care (taking my car to 156,000 miles once it expires) for $1,490. The inclusion of roadside assistance, if I understand the package correctly, has extra appeal to me since I would effectively be able to cancel my AAA and capture 'savings' there over time, and even more savings if my wife wanted to cancel the AAA we have on her CR-V (though she doesn't like the idea of the roadside assistance towing requiring the vehicle be brought to a Honda dealership - so I have to clarify that piece).

That said, do any of you have thoughts on whether or not this is worth the expense? The last time I drove a Honda I got it to 180,000 miles with nothing but brakes and tires, before somebody hit me on the highway and totaled it. So my tendency is not to purchase warranties like this, especially on something as reliable as a Honda. I understand it's a #s game to an extent, but all of the electronic bells and whistles on this truck has me wondering if the coverage might actually be worth it.

Any thoughts or advice?
Congrats on your purchase. I just bought one too and got the Honda Care. The quotes I got from Hyannis and Saccucci are both around 100 lower than your dealer quoted you for that plan.
You may want to check either one out if your state allows you to purchase, or use them to negotiate your dealer down

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Hi All,

Through a local authorized dealer I can purchase an additional 5 years, 120,000 miles of Honda Care (taking my car to 156,000 miles once it expires) for $1,490.
It would be prudent if you verified the terms of the warranty. Most Honda Care warranty's start from the "in service date." I understand you could have purchased 5 extra years, which would be a total of 8 years from the "in service date." But the mileage on that warranty probably won't extend beyond 120,000 miles on the odometer.

It does not make that much of a difference, but it is always good to have the correct information from the start.

I found a 2018 RTL-E with 5,000 miles for $34K in Olathe Kansas, but it sold on Saturday. Another near miss.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I just bought one too and got the Honda Care. The quotes I got from Hyannis and Saccucci are both around 100 lower than your dealer quoted you for that plan.
You may want to check either one out if your state allows you to purchase, or use them to negotiate your dealer down
Funny, I got quotes from Saccucci, Hyannis, and Curry Honda, and $1,490 was the cheapest of all 3 when looking at the 5yr/120k option (which was the longest time period and mileage option they offered).

Am I missing something here in terms of my options or negotiation power with these guys?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funny, I got quotes from Saccucci, Hyannis, and Curry Honda, and $1,490 was the cheapest of all 3 when looking at the 5yr/120k option (which was the longest time period and mileage option they offered).

Am I missing something here in terms of my options or negotiation power with these guys?
I missed the part about it being a pre-owned vehicle when I wrote that. I was going off new prices. Apologies for the confusion.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello. I just purchased my first Riidgeline - a used 2017 RTL-E with 34K on the clock. I will be picking it up tomorrow and am now thinking that I should purchase the extended after market warranty. I know that if Honda has any Achilles heel - it is the electronics. And with all the electronics in the truck, may be the warranty might be a good idea. We just sold my wife's 2006 Accord (only 80K on the clock) and it was flawless in the 10 years she owned it - except for 2 electrical issues. I know even one electrical problem could possibly validate the $2K cost of the warranty. Would like to hear some Ridgeline owners opinions and experiences. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
We purchased the extended warranty with our new Ridgeline, now we can sit back and relax in the peace of mind that as long as the warranty is in effect, that our Ridgeline will be a model of dependability!

Bill

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you are going to spring for an extended warranty, I’d recommend sticking with HondaCare and HondaCare only. There are a few dealers who sell HondaCare at a very good discount over most.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
We bought the extended warranty for our new Subaru. I emailed three different dealerships AFTER we purchased the vehicle and told each of them I was interested in purchasing the extended warranty. I saved $300 by taking the lowest bid to my local Subaru Dealership. Shop around but stick with the Manufacture's extended warranty. Definitely shop around.

301 - 320 of 359 Posts