Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

321 - 336 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just one (1) repair after 36k and it pays for itself.

Just shop around for the best Honda Care price.

One local dealer wanted 3,000 for it, I shopped and spent less than half the price for the same thing. Do your homework & save some money. ✅

·
Registered
29 Posts
Purchased Honda Care for my 2017 RLT-T just before 36k miles. Less than 500 miles later my injector system failed to the tune of $1225. Pretty well paid for itself. Yes, the dealer said he would have covered it, but I could have been in BFE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got a '19 RTL-E. My dealer already provides a 10yr/200k engine/powertrain limited warranty. My primary interest in an extended warranty is in the electronics. A new head unit alone would cost more than the Honda Care plan.

My dealer is offering what they call "wrap coverage", which covers everything not wear/tear related. It is 10yr/100k, and has a $50 deductible at any ASE mechanic or $0 deductible at my dealership. This supplemental policy has 24 hour roadside assistance, trip interruption services, and loaner vehicle coverage for the duration of the term or mileage, whichever comes first. For the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, the cost would be $1835 plus taxes.

It is two years longer than the longest Honda Care plan, with a 20k lower total mileage, and costs ~$500 more. Other than lasting 2 years longer, would I benefit from a 3rd party plan like this over the Honda Care? I know I'm not quoting specifics of the policy (which I don't have), but I just wonder if there are any rules of thumb to this sort of thing. Or should I just go straight with the Honda Care plan?

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I bought a 3rd party warranty on my '01 Accord, recommended by the dealership. They went bankrupt and I lost my $1000 investment

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I purchased my last new vehicle- 2012 Camry- I was already a member of a Toyota group similar to this one. There was a thread about the extended warranties where people were always suggesting NOT buying from the dealer, and buying from a certain Toyota dealer in Kansas. Basically the same plan that the dealer would try to sell you, only substantially cheaper. I already knew this when I purchased the car, but I still listened to their spiel and price before declining.My price ended up being under a grand, while the dealers quoted price was north of a grand. In that particular situation, as long as your vehicle was under 3yrs, 36,000 miles, you could still buy the extended warranty. Perhaps there is something similar for Honda owners.

·
Super Moderator
4,778 Posts
When I purchased my last new vehicle- 2012 Camry- I was already a member of a Toyota group similar to this one. There was a thread about the extended warranties where people were always suggesting NOT buying from the dealer, and buying from a certain Toyota dealer in Kansas.
I purchased warranties for my Tundra and Camry hybrid from that exact dealer in Kansas.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
We’ve bought Hondacare from Saccucci for our last few Honda’s. So nice that you can get prorated refunds, piece of mind but you’re not out all that money if you, say, total a Ridgeline and decide to upgrade you wife’s Odyssey when you’re buying your new truck. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,618 Posts
I bought a 3rd party warranty on my '01 Accord, recommended by the dealership. They went bankrupt and I lost my $1000 investment
Who went out of business? The dealer or the 3rd party warranty company?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just shop around for the best price (it won't be from your dealer) and buy the "HONDA CARE", the REAL thing, not something your dealer wants to "sell" you on.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Who went out of business? The dealer or the 3rd party warranty company?
The warranty company. It was "Warranty Gold" - a very big company who had been in business for a long time.

There was supposed to be a disbursement of a substantial amount of money from the company, but it turns out that the holdings were in the Cayman Islands, and there were a lot of dishonest actions. All of the reserves got burned up in "legal proceedings" and I never saw one red cent. I'll never even consider a 3rd party warranty again.

·
Super Moderator
2,823 Posts
Get the Honda Care warranty. Any Honda dealer can sell it to you and it’s valid at any and every Honda dealer. I got a great deal from College Hills Honda of Ohio. The dealer mentioned earlier in this thread, Saccucci of Rhode Island, also has competitive rates. As does the dealer on Cape Cod in Massachusetts whose name escapes me. You can also customize the plan to save money. And you can do the whole deal in email.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Get the Honda Care warranty. Any Honda dealer can sell it to you and it’s valid at any and every Honda dealer. I got a great deal from College Hills Honda of Ohio. The dealer mentioned earlier in this thread, Saccucci of Rhode Island, also has competitive rates. As does the dealer on Cape Cod in Massachusetts whose name escapes me. You can also customize the plan to save money. And you can do the whole deal in email.
I did! This was just a precautionary tale about 3rd party warranties!

·
Super Moderator
2,823 Posts
321 - 336 of 336 Posts