Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
That screen is probably more like 3.5k to replace including labor if it's anything like what the German dealership charge on their vehicles.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Re: Extended Warranties

Better make sure it fully covers the electronics. It would pay for itself easy with one service call on the head unit.

Purchased the 7/100k plan on both Ridgelines. Paid off on #1. New steering rack and a front strut at approx 60k miles. About $2500 bucks worth at the time.

I'm on approx 58k miles on RL #2. had a bunch of warranty work (crappy build quality stuff) done at under 500 miles and then nothing since.

Insurance is for peace of mind, or if you are pretty sure you are keeping the vehicle long term.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts

Also if the 8 inch touch screen craps out in 5 years it will probably cost us $1000 to fix. We got the warranty on our Subaru with the eyesight cameras for that reason
We bought the Subaru Extended Warranty as well. We did not bundle it in to the loan however which is good to do if you can. Like shamrockshooter said, that big screen in the middle is just as much as a power steering rack to replace (which is ridiculous, you'd think that they could pull these units and do an electronic diagnosis and fix instead of replace).

FWIW after 85k on my 2007 RL I haven't had any issues outside of 3/36 warranty besides maintenance items.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My dealer wouldn't come off the price of the truck but threw in the all inclusive 100.000 mile warranty plus all accessories at cost.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts

Best place I've ever found genuine Honda & Acura Care extended warranties has been here: Honda Care Vehicle Service Contract from Saccucci Honda

Any time I've purchased a Honda, I get a quote from Saccucci and bring that with me. Only once has the dealer matched their pricing.

I just requested a quote on a 2017 Ridgeline and got the info below.

FYI - I am in no way affiliated with them and do not get any type of kickback.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,566 Posts

Is upgrading the 3yr/36K to 7yr/100K worth 1K, I already have lifetime powertrain warranty with the dealer.
Don't bank on that "lifetime" powertrain warranty. It's likely valid only for the original purchaser at the original dealer until the dealership changes ownership.

·
Registered
146 Posts

I did not do it (buy warranty) on my Ridgeline, figured not much go wrong in 100,000 miles.

The only time I've ever bought an extended service contract was for my Jeep good at any Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealer: lifetime of owner, no mileage limit, $100 deductible (doesn't cover brake pads, clutch). I will never sell that Jeep.

·
Registered
74 Posts

0 deduct I believe. Offered at the dealership so I'd imagine it's a Honda warranty.
Maybe....
Most new car dealers offer two types of extended warranties. One is from the manufacture (.ie. Honda) and the other is aftermarket. The aftermarket warranty is usually cheaper and the dealer usually makes a substantial profit.
Personally, I would only buy an extended warranty from the manufacturer. I've heard of too many horror stories about people who had bought extended aftermarket warranties and couldn't get the company to cover their repairs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I did not do it (buy warranty) on my Ridgeline, figured not much go wrong in 100,000 miles.
I passed on the extended warranty for the same reason . A leap if faith if you will. The finance guy put the hard sell on us too. We weren't too happy with that given the amount of money we just spent between the RTL-E and accessories (which they told us they don't make any money in. Ya right!!!). The dealer gives us a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty that does not require that all the maintenance be done at the dealer. Just have to save receipts. Only caveat is that it isn't transferrable.
Part of the sales pitch was the finance guy telling us that a friend of his just bought a brand new F-150 and has had the sunroof replaced twice already. If it was out of warranty that would run 1500.00 each. To which I replied "that's why we are here and not at a Ford dealer".

·
Registered
662 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty on Gen2?

So does Honda Care from work the same way on a vehicle that is beyond "a certain time frame"? Can I buy one at 35k miles and 2.5 years and still have same coverage? How about after 36k miles? Is the coverage basically the same as the original OEM 3/36k Warranty?

·
Super Moderator
12,566 Posts

So does Honda Care from work the same way on a vehicle that is beyond "a certain time frame"? Can I buy one at 35k miles and 2.5 years and still have same coverage? How about after 36k miles? Is the coverage basically the same as the original OEM 3/36k Warranty?
1. "Vehicles less than 3 years old and with fewer than 36,000 miles are eligible for Honda Care® VSC Plans." - Owner Resources - Official Honda Web Site

2. The Honda Care warranty contains additional exclusions which normally are covered under the 3/36 new vehicle limited warranty such as: Batteries, squeaks, rattles, cables (think seat, hood, and fuel door release mechanisms), body seals (sorry about those water leaks!), buttons, knobs, interior/exterior trim pieces, hoses (radiator, heater, vacuum, etc.), exhaust system (except for catalytic converters, which may be covered under a separate warranty).

"Parts other than HONDA Genuine or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts; wiper blades; battery (except for the nickel-metal hydride battery in hybrid VEHICLES); cables; steering wheel; belts; radiator hoses; heater hoses and vacuum hoses; spark plugs; plug wires; distributor cap and rotor; timing belt replacement when performed as routine maintenance; exhaust system; head pipes; tailpipes; catalytic converter; mufflers; hangars; heat shields; gaskets (except for the manifold block gasket) and related fastening hardware; fuel tank straps; fuel hoses; brake system wear items such as drums/rotors or shoes/pads; clutch disc; clutch pressure plate; throw out bearing; external shift linkages; pilot bearing/bushing; glass; mirror glass; body parts; body structure (except for hood hinges, trunk hinges, door hinges and sliding door rollers); hood; fenders; doors; rear hatch; trunk lid; grille; panels; bright metal; sheet metal; paint (except for covered hinges painted to match the original VEHICLE color only); bumpers; moldings; lenses; bezels; bulbs (except for instrument panel illumination bulbs); High Intensity Discharge (H.I.D.) headlamps; sealed beams; fuses; body seals; weather-strips (except for window sash and window run channels); outside ornamentation; emblems; tires; valve stems; wheels; wheel covers/ornaments; rims; trim rings; caps; wheel studs; lug nuts; wheel locks; fastening/securing hardware for non-covered components; stripped or cross threaded fasteners (e.g., nuts, bolts, studs, screws, etc.); body seals; squeaks; rattles; buttons; carpet; dash pad; console; window handles; knobs; boots; pedals; pads; rearview mirror (except for electronic failure of the auto-dimming mirror); interior trim; upholstery; floor mats; electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN HONDA AUTHORIZED ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES/NAVIGATIONAL; DVD ENTERTAINMENT AND SECURITY SYSTEMS; Safety Restraint System fastening hardware; seat belts and airbag(s) deployed due to collision." - What is not covered by Honda Care & what is covered.

·
Registered
83 Posts

This will sound like a stupid question to many of you, but I've never bought a brand new vehicle in my life, so, when I go to negotiate the price of a new G2 in a few weeks...

I presume the basic warranty is included in the MSRP (i.e. Limited Warranty 3yr/36k & 5yr/60k in the USA; in Canada it seems to be called a Standard Warranty 3yr/60k km & 5yr/100k km).

Is this correct? So if you're happy with that basic level of coverage there's no need to be negotiating it as part of your OTD price offer?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

This will sound like a stupid question to many of you, but I've never bought a brand new vehicle in my life, so, when I go to negotiate the price of a new G2 in a few weeks...

I presume the basic warranty is included in the MSRP (i.e. Limited Warranty 3yr/36k & 5yr/60k in the USA; in Canada it seems to be called a Standard Warranty 3yr/60k km & 5yr/100k km).

Is this correct? So if you're happy with that basic level of coverage there's no need to be negotiating it as part of your OTD price offer?

Correct. And if you want an extended warranty you don't have to buy it now. As long as you buy it before the basic warranty is up you're good.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Honda demands higher prices that are much less negotiable than many other companies - their explanation for this: You are buying Honda quality.

So if there quality is really top notch and they charge more for it, why do we need the extended warranty?

KAFFEE
Then why the two orders?
Colonel?
Why did you--

JESSEP
Sometimes men take matters into their own hands.

KAFFEE
No sir. You made it clear just a moment ago that your men never take matters into their own hands. Your men follow orders or people die. So Santiago shouldn't have been in any danger at all, should he have, Colonel?

JESSEP
You little bastard.

KAFFEE
I'd like an answer to the question, Judge.

RANDOLPH
The Court'll wait for answer.

KAFFEE
If Kendrick told his men that Santiago wasn't to be touched, then why did he have to be transferred?
Colonel?

JESSEP says nothing.

KAFFEE
Kendrick ordered the code red, didn't he? Because that's what you told Kendrick to do.

·
Super Moderator
12,566 Posts

I checked prices for the "D82" (8-year, 120K-mile, $0 deductible) Honda Care warranty today:

$1,395 Saccucci
$1,310 Hyannis
$1,300 College Hills

College Hills was the cheapest, fastest to reply, and most helpful. I've only kept a couple of vehicles past their factory warranties - a '99 Regal (while putting myself through college) and '10 Ridgeline (while building a new home). The '17 Ridgeline is the nicest, most expensive vehicle I've ever owned. It is also, by far, the most complex. There is a possibility I'll keep it longer than the factory warranty, so I'm strongly considering a Honda Care warranty due to:

- All the special tools and equipment required to diagnose and repair problems these days
- Printed/off-line service information is no longer available - it's now available only by time-limited subscription and has grown far too complex for the old Chilton and Haynes manuals at the local auto parts stores
- All the expensive, high-tech, and proprietary features (navigation, Honda Sensing, VCM, iVTM-4, truck bed audio, etc.)
- New A/C refrigerant (R-1234yf) that isn't commonly available and would require new tools (I have tools to service R-134a systems)

I've never been much of a gambler and usually choose "peace of mind" where reasonable which is one of the reasons I always like to be in a new vehicle that is fully covered under warranty. A single, out-of-warranty repair such as an A/C compressor or a failed navigation screen could cost as much as the warranty.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts

I checked prices for the "D82" (8-year, 120K-mile, $0 deductible) Honda Care warranty today:

$1,395 Saccucci
$1,310 Hyannis
$1,300 College Hills

College Hills was the cheapest, fastest to reply, and most helpful. I've only kept a couple of vehicles past their factory warranties - a '99 Regal (while putting myself through college) and '10 Ridgeline (while building a new home). The '17 Ridgeline is the nicest, most expensive vehicle I've ever owned. It is also, by far, the most complex. There is a possibility I'll keep it longer than the factory warranty, so I'm strongly considering a Honda Care warranty due to:

- All the special tools and equipment required to diagnose and repair problems these days
- Printed/off-line service information is no longer available - it's now time-limited subscription only
- All the expensive, high-tech features (infotainment, Honda Sensing, VCM, iVTM-4, etc.)
- New A/C refrigerant (R-1234yf) that isn't commonly available and would new tools (I have tools to service R-134a systems)

I've never been much of a gambler and usually choose "peace of mind" where reasonable which is one of the reasons I always like to be in a new vehicle that is fully covered under warranty. A single, out-of-warranty repair such as an A/C compressor or a failed navigation screen could cost as much as the warranty.
With all of the electronic stuff in these vehicles, I agree with you 100%. I have a friend who always bought extended warranties, decided he hadn't used them, and didn't buy on his last vehicle. His head unit went out after 3 1/2 years and they quoted over $2000 just to replace it....he want aftermarket; however, lost some features and was just annoyed with himself....and his wife said she preferred the look of the OE head unit, and now apparently says it every time they get in the vehicle (since she told him to get it).....:act060:

I know some (including CR) say not to; however, with the complexity of the electronics these days, I agree with your statement about peace of mind. Worth it, if you can get a decent deal on the warranty.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

"Parts other than HONDA Genuine or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts; wiper blades; battery (except for the nickel-metal hydride battery in hybrid VEHICLES); cables; steering wheel; belts; radiator hoses; heater hoses and vacuum hoses; spark plugs; plug wires; distributor cap and rotor; timing belt replacement when performed as routine maintenance; exhaust system; head pipes; tailpipes; catalytic converter; mufflers; hangars; heat shields; gaskets (except for the manifold block gasket) and related fastening hardware; fuel tank straps; fuel hoses; brake system wear items such as drums/rotors or shoes/pads; clutch disc; clutch pressure plate; throw out bearing; external shift linkages; pilot bearing/bushing; glass; mirror glass; body parts; body structure (except for hood hinges, trunk hinges, door hinges and sliding door rollers); hood; fenders; doors; rear hatch; trunk lid; grille; panels; bright metal; sheet metal; paint (except for covered hinges painted to match the original VEHICLE color only); bumpers; moldings; lenses; bezels; bulbs (except for instrument panel illumination bulbs); High Intensity Discharge (H.I.D.) headlamps; sealed beams; fuses; body seals; weather-strips (except for window sash and window run channels); outside ornamentation; emblems; tires; valve stems; wheels; wheel covers/ornaments; rims; trim rings; caps; wheel studs; lug nuts; wheel locks; fastening/securing hardware for non-covered components; stripped or cross threaded fasteners (e.g., nuts, bolts, studs, screws, etc.); body seals; squeaks; rattles; buttons; carpet; dash pad; console; window handles; knobs; boots; pedals; pads; rearview mirror (except for electronic failure of the auto-dimming mirror); interior trim; upholstery; floor mats; electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN HONDA AUTHORIZED ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES/NAVIGATIONAL; DVD ENTERTAINMENT AND SECURITY SYSTEMS; Safety Restraint System fastening hardware; seat belts and airbag(s) deployed due to collision." - What is not covered by Honda Care & what is covered.
Looked into many warranties and almost all will never cover this. That list is pretty much normal wear and tear things. I paid a bit over 1400 at Honda that covers all major components for a bit over ten years good enough for me. One electronic glitch can cost well over a grand depending. So they have my money for three years and I bummin but after that for the next seven im not going to worry. The big thing depends on how long one owns it or how long is your loan to cover the Honda warranty after that roll the dice.

EDIT: My dash cluster went south after 6 years and it cost me 800 bucks. I never bought an extended warranty on my "06" RL let alone any vehicle, that was 5 years ago think about it. All this tech $hit can get expensive real fast and see the lease makin a come back soon.

·
Super Moderator
12,566 Posts

Looked into many warranties and almost all will never cover this. That list is pretty much normal wear and tear things. I paid a bit over 1400 at Honda that covers all major components for a bit over ten years good enough for me. One electronic glitch can cost well over a grand depending. So they have my money for three years and I bummin but after that for the next seven im not going to worry. The big thing depends on how long one owns it or how long is your loan to cover the Honda warranty after that roll the dice.

EDIT: My dash cluster went south after 6 years and it cost me 800 bucks. I never bought an extended warranty on my "06" RL let alone any vehicle, that was 5 years ago think about it. All this tech $hit can get expensive real fast and see the lease makin a come back soon.
One item I'd like to get clarification on is LED lighting. It says it excludes "bulbs" and "H.I.D. headlamps" - both of which are replaceable items. LEDs, however, are not replaceable as they are a permanent part of the assembly in which they are installed. For example, if your right LED headlight goes out, the entire headlight assembly must be replaced (which is currently around $800).

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

One item I'd like to get clarification on is LED lighting. It says it excludes "bulbs" and "H.I.D. headlamps" - both of which are replaceable items. LEDs, however, are not replaceable as they are a permanent part of the assembly in which they are installed. For example, if your right LED headlight goes out, the entire headlight assembly must be replaced (which is currently around $800).
All I have to say is HOLY $HIT BATMAN. So its covered for 3 years under your normal Honda warranty? And second how long "average" do they last? If there that good I could see a wire problem before a light ever goin out, but what do I know. I havent replaced a head light in my "06" yet, should i consider it, they seem ok, do they get dim over the years where i just dont notice.

·
Super Moderator
12,566 Posts

All I have to say is HOLY $HIT BATMAN. So its covered for 3 years under your normal Honda warranty? And second how long "average" do they last? If there that good I could see a wire problem before a light ever goin out, but what do I know. I havent replaced a head light in my "06" yet, should i consider it, they seem ok, do they get dim over the years where i just dont notice.
Yes - they are covered under the 3/36 warranty. I also called this afternoon and confirmed with Honda that the Honda Care warranty does cover LED lighting since it is not specifically listed in the "What's not covered?" section. The warranty does specifically exclude "bulbs", "sealed beams", and "high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps", but no mention of LEDs.

Short of external damage or a defect in manufacturing, an LED will outlast the life of the vehicle. This is partly why LEDs are a permanent part of their fixture and are non-replaceable.

The only reason to replace a halogen bulb is during preventive maintenance. Incandescent lighting doesn't get dim over time. It produces the same amount of light until the point of failure when the filament burns out. HID headlamps tend to change color and/or dim towards the end of their life - often abruptly. The bulbs are replaceable and cost less than $100 each. The ballasts that run them are much more expensive, but those don't fail as frequently. LEDs grow dimmer and change color very gradually over the course of their life, but not by a significant amount over the useful life of the vehicle. LED headlights have been around for about a decade starting with the Lexus LS 600h.

One of the reasons I wanted to make sure Honda Care covered the LED headlights is if one were to fail after 3/36 I'd have a really hard time paying $800 just to make a headlight work again. Still, that's cheaper than the LED headlamps in the Cadillac Escalade which cost almost $2,500 each.

41 - 60 of 336 Posts