Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son (about to start his junior year in college) has a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe with just over 129k miles on it. The engine is strong, but is getting a lot of timing chain rattle on a cold start. We were considering having the timing chains replaced (and associated gear) and had a price of $2500 from a trusted shop. When the shop tried to order the parts, it turns out Hyundai updated some parts that don't fit the OEM camshafts and so we'll need to get new camshafts and associated gear. The repair cost jumped up to $3800-4000.

That seems a lot to put into a 10 year old car. While the interior is in great shape, the 6 speed manual tranny has the characteristic GenCoupe 5th gear scrape and the trunk has a water leak I have NOT been able to track down and fix. When you add it all up, I'm not sure about putting any money into this or sell it and buy something else.

In that light, my son likes the idea of a Civic Si. If we start looking for one, are there years to look for?

And is there a sporty (not 2 seater like the Miata) sedan or 2 door Mazda that might be a consideration?

Curious as to what your thoughts may be.

·
Super Moderator
23,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
$4k. Wow! Seems like you could get a nice crate motor for not much more $$...

I personally would go for the Civic Si with a manual trans. Resale will stay good on those cars, relative to other cars anyway, especially if he keeps it stock.

Lots people seem happy with Mazda 323s, so wouldn't pass up a great deal on a used one, or a new Mazda3 hatchback.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My son (about to start his junior year in college) has a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe with just over 129k miles on it. The engine is strong, but is getting a lot of timing chain rattle on a cold start. We were considering having the timing chains replaced (and associated gear) and had a price of $2500 from a trusted shop. When the shop tried to order the parts, it turns out Hyundai updated some parts that don't fit the OEM camshafts and so we'll need to get new camshafts and associated gear. The repair cost jumped up to $3800-4000.

That seems a lot to put into a 10 year old car. While the interior is in great shape, the 6 speed manual tranny has the characteristic GenCoupe 5th gear scrape and the trunk has a water leak I have NOT been able to track down and fix. When you add it all up, I'm not sure about putting any money into this or sell it and buy something else.

In that light, my son likes the idea of a Civic Si. If we start looking for one, are there years to look for?

And is there a sporty (not 2 seater like the Miata) sedan or 2 door Mazda that might be a consideration?

Curious as to what your thoughts may be.
How about a Hyundai Veloster? I think you can still get a stick with those.

I've never driven one but the Veloster N looked interesting on paper at least.

·
Super Moderator
23,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I personally would go for the Civic Si with a manual trans. Resale will stay good on those cars, relative to other cars anyway, especially if he keeps it stock.

Lots people seem happy with Mazda 323s, so wouldn't pass up a great deal on a used one, or a new Mazda3 hatchback.
While we bought the car right, with the other issues outstanding, I'm just not happy about putting more money into it without also getting those issues fixed (tranny scrape and the unsolvable trunk water leak). But yeah, I didn't think about a crate motor. Wonder if that's an option for the Hyundai Gen Coupes?

2017-2020 Civic Si
Are those the best years? I suspect the price will be a bit too high on them, but honestly haven't priced them yet.

I think he's inclined to keep it stock. Might have to check out those Mazdas. But he's definitely mentioned the Si, but I'm concerned about finding one that's not ragged out.

How about a Hyundai Veloster? I think you can still get a stick with those.

I've never driven one but the Veloster N looked interesting on paper at least.
I don't think the Veloster has crossed his radar yet.

Golf GTI or Subaru
I kinda like the GTi but then again am a bit leary of VW. I don't have good vibes on them for some reason. That being said, I drove the snot out of a Beetlebug when I turned 16. It stood the test. But that was a long time ago. And what can you do with 40 HP anyway. ;)

Subaru. Have several family members with late model Subbies and they love them. STi is likely too pricey. Not a fan of the CVT models. So not sure what would be in his interest range there.

·
Administrator
14,542 Posts
Are those the best years? I suspect the price will be a bit too high on them, but honestly haven't priced them yet.

I think he's inclined to keep it stock. Might have to check out those Mazdas. But he's definitely mentioned the Si, but I'm concerned about finding one that's not ragged out.
In terms of performance, efficiency, safety, features, ride quality, and room - yes. I think they're the best looking as well, but that's subjective. I'm not seeing any reliability concerns with them. It's possible older generations may be reliable, but that's difficult to gauge accurately since I'd wager that the majority of vehicles in this category have been modified in some way that has a direct effect on reliability. I was looking for a used Si before I bought my 2017 and I simply couldn't find one that hadn't been molested.

·
Super Moderator
23,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In terms of performance, efficiency, safety, features, ride quality, and room - yes. I think they're the best looking as well, but that's subjective. I'm not seeing any reliability concerns with them. It's possible older generations may be reliable, but that's difficult to gauge accurately since I'd wager that the majority of vehicles in this category have been modified in some way that has a direct effect on reliability. I was looking for a used Si before I bought my 2017 and I simply couldn't find one that hadn't been molested.
And therein lies the rub. I would also like to find a stock Si, not something that's been modded.

·
Super Moderator
23,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finding an unmodded car was a challenge several years ago when we were looking for an Acura RSX Type R/Type S. Test drove one that had been lowered, but it rubbed in just normal driving. Didn't have any problem finding a stock Genesis Coupe, other than the problem of finding them at all.

·
Super Moderator
5,209 Posts
Finding an unmodded car was a challenge several years ago when we were looking for an Acura RSX Type R/Type S. Test drove one that had been lowered, but it rubbed in just normal driving. Didn't have any problem finding a stock Genesis Coupe, other than the problem of finding them at all.
You've got that right about the Acura RSX Type S. My son bought an older one and the first thing he did was put coil overs on it. He got the ECU professionally mapped/tuned and now he has his sights on installing a turbocharger. He wants to use it for fun at the track. I figure it's his money. He has another vehicle for his daily driver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts