Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts

· Premium Member
624 Posts
Bah, I was hoping this meant the Ridgeline was going to be built in Ohio. I'm not a fan of the quality control issues that seem related to the Alabama plant.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Bah, I was hoping this meant the Ridgeline was going to be built in Ohio. I'm not a fan of the quality control issues that seem related to the Alabama plant.
While you are entitled to your opinion, I beg to differ.
More importantly, quite apparently Honda agrees.

Alabama is now producing vehicles, warships and airplanes.
The souths gonna rise again.

Reactions: Im Buz

· Premium Member
624 Posts
While you are entitled to your opinion, I beg to differ.
More importantly, quite apparently Honda agrees.

Alabama is now producing vehicles, warships and airplanes.
The souths gonna rise again.
My apologies, I'm not try ping to bad mouth Alabama. It's just my opinion that the HMA facility is having some quality control issues it needs to address. I was lead to believe it was the original reason they where moving the MDX to Ohio.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...-scoop-towing-capacity-rl-30.html#post1967521
If the ratings improved for HMA I would be glad to have my RL built there.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Obviously we have a difference in whats acceptable. To me if it starts, steers, stops, etc (serves as basic transportation) then its acceptable; simply do a pre-inspection and avoid those vehicles that don't meet your standard up-front.

To my thinking, this is not a $200K vehicle and things like a misaligned panel is not a deal breaker; those minor problems can/Will be addressed by the dealer. And he'll likely throw in a free car wash.

· Premium Member
624 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love this truck and can't wait to get one. And I do agree that most of these issues are minor and don't take away from the vehicle. Non of these will prevent me from purchasing one and like you said I'll just be cautious in my inspection.

If I'm paying roughly $30k for a vehicle if it starts, stops, steers, etc but has minor trim issues, I can deal with that. But if I'm paying $40k+ for a vehicle I'm expecting some of that money to go towards labor in checking the final quality of the vehicle and correcting any issues.

I get we all have our bad days but some of these issues are so blatant (missing covers, incorrect or double badging, runny paint, broken metal supports, etc) and easy to catch you would think they would have been caught on the line or during dealer inspection. I think a lot of this has to do with management and leadership at these facilities, and as Joe has mentioned on some of the posts HMA and perhaps Honda as a whole could use better restructuring.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,973 Posts
It's too bad the chicken tax is 25% instead of 10%. I would gladly pay an extra 10% for a Ridgeline manufactured in Japan. I think many of us would if we knew the difference.

I doubt the chicken tax will be going away anytime soon... it was already projected to be a 20-year-long repeal process for Japan, but even that will probably be postponed another four years.

· Registered
231 Posts
Looks like Honda is taking steps to alleviate supply issues and converting its current Acura MDX facility to produce Pilots, Ridgelines, and Odysseys. Hopefully this helps out with the current issue everyone is running into trying to get the trim they want.

2017 Honda Pilot & Ridgeline Takes Over Production From Acura MDX ? NSEAVoice
Not to be padantic, but they are moving the lower volume MDX production to Ohio, freeing up additional capacity in Alabama for the existing Ridgeline, Pilot and Odyssey assembly operations.

Honda Shuffling Production to Increase Crossover, Truck Output for U.S. - Motor Trend

· Registered
296 Posts
If the ratings improved for HMA I would be glad to have my RL built there.
Here's the ratings for 2014/15 reference initial quality: Japan auto quality sinks below industry average

Notice where Honda is/was?

2014: Honda #8
2015: Honda #14

The report reveals.... "This report will have some asking if the Japanese automakers, who for years have been considered the gold standard for quality, have lost focus and are now slipping."

· Registered
14 Posts
Might be too late for me..my first (almost ) honda experience.. and between dealers and a broker looking for me I cannot find an RTL-E (white or silver please) and they are going for more than msrp..if you can find one. they have both told me 6-9 months and expect to pay msrp or more. I am not sure I want the truck that much. and by that time there will be: a jeep pickup, chevy zr2, probably deals on 2017 tacomas, maybe a 2018 ridgeline with a locking tailgate please, and the ford ranger is supposedly coming back to American in 2018.. near me (denver) I have seen plenty of lower trim models (sitting on lots) and I don't want a black edition(there is one I know of) . really confused about the supply issues especially with the huge outlay in advertising.

· Registered
3,228 Posts
Here's the ratings for 2014/15 reference initial quality: Japan auto quality sinks below industry average

Notice where Honda is/was?

2014: Honda #8
2015: Honda #14[/I]...
I'm gonna have to agree with those who say Honda has QC issues at HMA they simply must address to stay in this game. For what it's worth, CR is reporting the same slide in Honda brand reliability. Buick, Kia and Hyundai are doing better than Honda overall. CR gives the new Pilot and RL only a "Good" rating for predicted reliabiiity, while several competing SUVs get "Excellent" or "Very Good" ratings. At least the new RL's rating is better than competing mid-size trucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.