Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Honda cylinder deactivation management

26K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  ericshibma 
My close friend has a 2011 Odyssey with 55k. Just had his motor rebuilt due to carbon build up on a couple spark plugs causing them to explode and scar the cylinder walls and catastrophic damage from the metal shavings. He researched and believes this is due to the VCM causing oil residue buildup on only half the engine.

Dealer did cover the repair without any issue and very quickly. He's just worried about what happens once the vehicle gets out of warranty. Other than that, 0 problems with the van, and 27+ on highway trips. I was hoping the new engine in the RL has some changes from 2011 to prevent this issue. I have just under 200k on my Tahoe without major repairs, but poor fuel economy, hoping to get reliability and fuel economy with comfort in the RL.

I am downsizing vehicles and have narrowed my search to the RL and 2017 Titan 1/2 ton (due out soon). I think RL is biggest of the mid-size, best non-diesel fuel economy, and has many standard features that I want on the mid trim levels. The rear seat dimensions are very close to the MDX (RL has same rear Leg/head Room and wider hip/shoulder) for those that are wondering about the back seat. I sat in the MDX and think there is enough room for two adults, we will seat what the rear seat rake is. The RL also has the best interior of the mid-size trucks. Only thing holding me back is underwhelming exterior looks, VCM fears (hopefully unfounded), and low towing. The 2017 Titan ( not XD) is by far the best looking truck IMO and has the best interior, particularly at the mid-trim level. Only draw back there is the 15/20 mpg. But, I do get the xtra towing/pay load/leg room when I need it. I imagine it will tow 10k and have a payload over 2k. What to do... Oh well, gives me time for RLs to get on the lot and dealers to hopefully back off MSRP+ pricing or heaven forbid getting to $1500 below MSRP. Huge selling points for the Titan is the standard features on the mid trim level, SV trim has nav, push button start, power seats, trailer brakes, rear a/c vents, rear arm rest, and trailer package with a proven 5.6 V8 and 7 speed transmission (390 HP/401 ft. torque). The full size GM trucks at any trim level do not have rear console A/C vents (they are under front seats), F150 does not have standard rear console air vents (have to get upgraded console) and no arm rest until you get the Lariat package. Tundra has everything standard, but the 5.7 is a complete gas hog and been around since 2007. Ram has rear air and armrest on some mid trim levels, rear middle seat is a joke, electronics reliability are questionable, and has been out since 2009. I'll be keeping my next truck 150k plus and 10 years, so having a current design for at least 5-7 years is a big bonus (as long as it is reliable).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.