Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this happened to anyone.... Brought my crosstour to dealer for oil change and other stuff.... long story short after arriving home read the invoice and noticed that they used Valvoline brake fluid.... had brake fluid changed since it was looking a little dark and 3 years old. Also oil change full synthetic and they used Pennzoil.....I deal with two dealers since I mostly live in Gainesville Fl with my RL and St. Augustine dealer where I keep the CT at condo... dealer here in Gainesville always uses Honda products for oil/brake and other fluid changes...
Just thought it was a little strange that they don't use Honda branded products...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coolant, Transmission, Power Steering, Differential, Yes to only Honda fluids

Brakes, Engine Oil, any meeting spec should work just fine.
Yep I know all of that via this Forum...thanks.... I guess they use it to keep cost down but seems to me Honda would like to see the using all Honda branded products ... just my .02..

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Not a big deal for those fluids - they buy them in bulk from a local distributor. The fluids henni mentioned are the ones you want genuine Honda for.

Chip H.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I forget what type of full synthetic oil was used in Ridgeline the last time serviced.
I told my sister to let her Tires Plus change it instead of bringing it up here 70 miles to selling Honda dealership. She wanted it changed before long summer trip to SC. But before that oil change I just checked paperwork when I had it in for dealership service and paperwork said synthetic oil change MOBIL 1. They don't always use MOBIL 1 when I get it changed. This is the same with my Acura dealership when I take my 00 3.2 TL in for change. I have had MOBIL 1 and Pennzoil. I think Valvoline has been synthetic has been used by deal in one of the vehicles. Just check paperwork of last brake fluid change done by Honda Jul 2014. Brake Fluid Part # 08798-9008 (DOT 3)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Just FYI I know multiple dealers honda,toyota etc that use a power steering fluid flush kit from a company called MOC. Honda fluid does not have to be used. I am totally for OEM on transmission,coolant but everything else is not necessary.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Just FYI I know multiple dealers honda,toyota etc that use a power steering fluid flush kit from a company called MOC. Honda fluid does not have to be used. I am totally for OEM on transmission,coolant but everything else is not necessary.
Don't forget the VTM4...I agree with everything else.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The big drum of 0W 20 at the Honda dealer here says Honda on the label but made by Phillips 66 for Honda.

I suspect that all DOT 3 Brake fluid is the same. I used Prestone DOT 3 fluid when I did my brakes as they were on sale for 99 cents - and the brake pedal is better then new.

As it was said - Power Steering, VTM-4 and DW-1 (the ZF replacement) - only Honda.

I only use Mobil One for oil changes.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I totally agree with all, I guess I should have said that I find it strange that a company that has their (own) branded products would use anything but, yes I know Honda does not make any of these products but if you walk in to the parts sales area you see a rack with all of the items that are branded "Honda" including oil/brake and other fluids....yet they don't use them when servicing your vehicle ...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I totally agree with all, I guess I should have said that I find it strange that a company that has their (own) branded products would use anything but, yes I know Honda does not make any of these products but if you walk in to the parts sales area you see a rack with all of the items that are branded "Honda" including oil/brake and other fluids....yet they don't use them when servicing your vehicle ...
Expensive. I know to get some of our products at a affordable price we have to buy pallets of the stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts