Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
This part really rocks:

In other Honda news, look for a turbo V-6 diesel engine in the U.S. sometime after the diesel fuel is cleaned up in 2007. Another rumor is that Honda is working on a hybrid version of the Ridgeline for the 2009 model year.

Turbo diesel rules! Hybrid rulezzzz! :D

I have been waiting so long for Honda to figure out that clean diesel is not a bad idea... sigh... guess I gotta wait a couple more years! Then I can convert my diesel to run on Krispy Kreme grease... mmmm... donuts...

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Hopefully if Honda makes a diesel engine it will be biodiesel compatible from the get go.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
A V-8 with cylinder deactivation. Sweet. The trade-in hit is gonna be huge, though, if they keep discounting like this.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
zero said:
Hopefully if Honda makes a diesel engine it will be biodiesel compatible from the get go.
That really would be great. Nothing better than 'farming for fuel'.

Of course you could also pull up to the drive through window at McDs' and order a Big Mac, Large Fries, a Diet Coke - and top off the fuel tank.

Would that make it Fat truck or a Phat truck?

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I've heard that, at face value, the benefits of bio-diesel and hydrogen are not what they appear to be because the production process is so reliant on petroleum products. Can anyone here comment based on their experience/research in the field? Thanks!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Well, I'm not an expert, but as always, I have an opinion... ;)

The biggest problems with hydrogen AFAIK are:

1. It's highly combustible, even more so than gasoline
2. It would require an entirely separate infrastructure for distribution, which would be hugely costly
3. People are stupid (see #1)

Biodiesel, on the other hand, is not highly combustible (not until it's heated and compressed, anyway)... in any kind of regulated, reliable distribution schema, we again would have the problem of the separate infrastructure...

Plus, I've always kinda wondered in the back of my head if there are different health side-effects to burning fry oil in an engine like that... maybe we're releasing trans fats into the air, and inhaling them into our lungs! :eek:

:)

This is also why I love hybrids as an option (like my rollerskate, the Insight). It gets 50 mpg, so I have a reduced dependency on petroleum products, but I haven't gone off the deep end with some completely alternative fuel that might leave me stranded somewhere. It's a very complex problem to solve; baby steps, like hybrid technology, is OK, IMHO.

Key:
AFAIK: As Far As I Know
IMHO: In My Humble Opinion

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The biggest problem with hydrogen is the back end system to produce it takes enormous amounts of energy. My favorite article about it is from Car and Drivers's Patrick Bedard. The best line being if we were a hydrogen based society and someone finally invented gasoline is would be hailed as the holy grail saving us from the energy demands of hydrogen. I think a diesel hybrid is our best bet until there's a huge break thru in batteries and super conductor materials so we can go solely electric. Although my personal feeling is there never will be a revolution and it will always be an evolutionary process.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=9978

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I think a diesel hybrid is our best bet until there's a huge battery break thru and we can go solely electric.
Electricity at this point also has it's problems as the majority of it is generated by the burning of fossil fuels. With the current sentiment against nuclear and dams which create their own sets of problems, that only leaves wind and solar as alternatives, neither of which produce a significant amout of energy so far.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
One of the biggest problems with producing energy is the 'Not in my backyard' syndrome. People refuse to have power generation in their area, so we are stuck using silly solutions. The right solution is that any house built today should have solar panels as a supplemental source of energy, this is generally wasted space on the top of your house anyway. The more houses using solar power, the more research that would go into refining solar power to make it more effective. Also the reduced consumption could help to greatly reduce reliance on fossil fuels to produce electricity. The problem that seems to be happening is people insist on an all or nothing solution. I want enough power from solar cells so I don't have to pay for electricity at all instead of I would like to pay $10 a month instead of $100 a month for electricity, and while I am on vacation I would like to make $50 by selling extra capacity back into the system.

Hybrids are all about reducing reliance by capturing that lost energy your car is already producing. So I think Hybrids are the future of vehicles but not alone. So a diesel hybrid vehicle would be cool assuming it was clean diesel. Getting 60MPG is better than 50MPG assuming that you aren't producing more waste per mile.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Well said, Capt. So many things are all or nothing. Sometimes a stepwise approach is the only way to go.

Reminds me of a saying. . . . How do you eat a dinosaur?

One bite at a time!!:cool:

·
Registered
333 Posts
flymuck said:
Well, I'm not an expert, but as always, I have an opinion... ;)

The biggest problems with hydrogen AFAIK are:

1. It's highly combustible, even more so than gasoline
2. It would require an entirely separate infrastructure for distribution, which would be hugely costly
3. People are stupid (see #1)
:confused: Didn't you mean...

01. It's highly combustible...
10. It would require...
11. People are stupid...

:D (Hint: flymuck's signature is "There are 10 types of people in this world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.")

·
Registered
626 Posts
farmguy said:

10. It would require...
11. People are stupid...

:D (Hint: flymuck's signature is "There are 10 types of people in this world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.")
Nice! Yes, that's what I meant... :D

(I figured with the large number of engineers on the forum, someone eventually would appreciate my signature, stolen from someone else more clever than me... plus, T Mac had already used the slinky quote, another favorite...)

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
farmguy said:

10. It would require...
11. People are stupid...

BTW, flymuck's name in Binary would be:.... (0000 0110--0000 1100--0001 1001--0000 1101--0001 0101--0000 0011--000 1011) ....by converting the letters in his name to it's corresponding number in the alphabet first.

Took me awhile but I think it's correct.

F 06 = 0000 0110
L 12 = 0000 1100
Y 25 = 0001 1001
M 13 = 0000 1101
U 21 = 0001 0101
C 03 = 0000 0011
K 11 = 0000 1011

Yes, I'm one of those 10 types of people (dinosaurs) in the world that still think and count in binary one's and zeros. (not really, there are still many.)

Old habit comes from many hours burning EPROM IC chips in binary & Hex code to work with the old Motorola 6800 CPU to tell it that it was Traffic Signal Controller instead of just a dumb lawn sprinkler timer.

Man, I'm dating myself, that was in the early 1970's :eek:

·
Registered
626 Posts
JOZ RIDG said:
BTW, flymuck's name in Binary would be:.... (0000 0110--0000 1100--0001 1001--0000 1101--0001 0101--0000 0011--000 1011) ....by converting the letters in his name to it's corresponding number in the alphabet first.
Nice job, JOZ. You win a prize -- not sure what prize, though. ;)

In hex, my name would be:

F 06 = 0x06
L 12 = 0x0c
Y 25 = 0x19
M 13 = 0x0d
U 21 = 0x15
C 03 = 0x03
K 11 = 0x0b

I had to take to hex, just so the binary peeps would be proud... although really the origin of the name was my phone number, which was 359-6825... FLY-MUCK corresponded to the numbers on the phone. Dork!! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts