Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completed the install of my Honda Hitch w/ the 7 and 10 pin Honda harness a few days ago. I went with the Honda because of the connector bracket. Also, after the install I notices the there is a bracket protecting the connector. Seems like a nice feature if you ever do some off-roading.

Here are a few pictures and notes on my install. I believe the install took me about 2 hours, but as you can see from my signature, I have been on a self-install journey and they are all starting to run together.

First in the picture line up is step 3 and a shot of the KTC tool in use and side panel removed. Also shown, is step 4 and the lower panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
thanks for the pic's. I'm lazy I had Honda do the install:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Step 7, a shot of the parts from the box and the assembled control unit. As well as, step 9 the location of the 10 pin connector under the dash. Takes a bit to get under there to find it. I slid under, with my right arm stretched out first to have it available to locate the blue tape.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 15 has you grab the 10 pin connector from the left rear. I read another post that suggested you could install the hitch first, then do all the steps to install the connector. Don't do this. Installing the hitch first makes it difficult to reach up to grab the connector. There were two pieces of tape. One you cannot see. Keep pulling, it will come out.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Step 18 lower the muffler....don't forget there are two connectors. I used a little saliva to help the connectors out.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Step 20, getting the hitch into place is the most challenging step. I used my jack, a board and a screw driver instead of the wife... Balance the hitch on the jack, position the left side (drivers) and wedge with a screw driver. Then position the right and throw a bolt in. The pictures will do a better job of describing this process then I.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Michael, great photos. It's nice of you to take the time to do it while you did your install. I have lots of photos of our install because I was not the one doing the installing. My job is picture taker.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A picture of the screw driver help on the left side.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Step 25...a side shot of the connector install. This was a piece of cake.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All and all a fairly easy install. If you can get a friend over to help, great. Otherwise the jack (a.k.a the wife and/or husband) option will get the job done. And be careful, that hitch can bite!

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Again nice job

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Man those shots brought back memories. I also used the jack trick, and even did the same "leg maneuver" with the jack to line it up. I also cut the heck out of my hands, much worse than you did.

Thanks for taking the time to take the shots.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So THATs what I have to look foward to when I install mine :D

I'm waiting for the spring since my garage is filled with my "other" toys and I dont feel like working outside if I dont have to! Or maybe I can find a friend with a heated garage,lol

Thanx for the PICs!!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well I plan on doing the same thing. On a 1-10 scale , 1 being the easiest 10 being the hardest where would you rate this project for middle of the road novice ?
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
38 Posts
I didnt need the 7 pin connector ..I went with the draw tight hitch and harness. (9 minutes and had the hitch on and tightened) The wire harness I had to remove the tail light lenses and that two was plug and play. I wrapped the wire harness with that black split loom you buy at an auto parts store and tie wrapped it up and out of the way (20 minutes) DONE!!
Looks professional nice & easy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Anyone handy with a ratchet set and screw driver can handle this install. You will need a friend and/or jack and some elbow grease to get the hitch in place. There is another post around where the installer was able to get the hitch in place without the jack, but based on the weight and the tight fit, I wouldn't advise that approach. It was tough enough with the jack, until I used the screw driver to keep the left side up, while I got the right side aligned and a bolt threaded. Most of these installs are like baking a cake, the Honda install instructions are good - they become great after you do a little research on this site. I would give it a 5.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Michael said:
Step 15 has you grab the 10 pin connector from the left rear. I read another post that suggested you could install the hitch first, then do all the steps to install the connector. Don't do this. Installing the hitch first makes it difficult to reach up to grab the connector. There were two pieces of tape. One you cannot see. Keep pulling, it will come out.
Great post. I absolutely concur with your note about not installing the hitch before the freeing up the harness. I found out the hard way - link

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'd rate it a 4. It took me two hours, but I take my time with everything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After I followed the Honda instructions and Michael's great pictures, I ended up with an extra 4 pole wire/connector. On the opposite end of the connector was simply insulated wire. Did I miss something?

By the way ..Great pictures. Your tip on getting the the left side up first then the right side was great. I only which I had noted it 30 minutes sooner!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts