Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd mention that when I picked up my Ridge, I didn't notice that the ball mount included with the Honda Trailer Hitch didn't have a locking pin. Also, there wasn't a Ball included. I asked my salesman about that, referring to the Honda assessory guide. In that guide, the kit is supposed to include a lockable ball mount pin and your choice of ball sizes. (in 1 7/8 or 2 inch)

He got back to me the next day indicating that the Honda parts ordering system doesn't have the trailering package setup to be ordered as a single part number. He says that they have to enter all of the individual pieces separately. (Receiver, wire harness, ball, locking pin, etcetera.)

So it seems that many of you might have missed out if you ordered the Honda Trailer accessory and didn't get the whole deal.

My dealer is going to ship the locking pin and ball to me.

You might want to call your dealer up and ask them to get you the missing parts!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I told my salesman the same thing, he went and retrieved a 2" ball and said if that wasn't good enough to bring it back in a couple weeks and trade it for the smaller one since they were currently out of stock. I am not sure what you mean by the locking pin though. My deal was specifically written to state "Complete Trailering Package" so that it had to include the wiring harness, trailer hitch, the bar and the ball. I haven't hooked it all up yet because I have an accessory in my hitch right now for canoe carrying. But that is coming out tonight or tomorrow so I may hook up the full ball and make sure everything looks right. Anyone know of a good way to test the wiring?

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I just called my dealer and they told me that I paid only for a hitch and wiring harness. To soothe me, they offered to sell me the ball and locking pin for $40.80 (he said it was a 20% discount). I haven't checked the price of aftermarket parts so I don't know if this is a good price or not.

-- ridged

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I just checked, and I definitely didn't get the locking pin. But that will change as I will be getting it. As to the price, the locking pin at handa-accessories is $24 the Honda Retail is $33. The price for a ball, not Honda, is about $12 to $15. I picked up a ball at a local parts store to go with the 2" they gave me. The Honda price is $18 the handa-accessories price is $13.20. So the normal price for the parts together would be $51, so yes $40.80 would be 20% off. I am probably a little more lucky as I bought a package so it is supposed to be included.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had to show my dealer the pictures in the brochure to get the locking pin and ball. But to their credit, they were very polite about it and ordered one for delivery to my house the next day.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I installed the hitch myself, (which if you have access to a torque wrench is easy) and ordered it from http://www.hondacuraworld.com/ which included the Hitch, harness, key locking pin, and ball. However, that's a package, if you look at http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline.html you buy everything separately, which is probably how the dealers buy/sell it. Thus, I'm sure a lot of it depends on how your dealer wrote up the contract but I believe if they sold you the hitch and harness on the truck, that's all they're obligated to provide since the items are all sold separately. Oh, and I agree about the brochure, I've seen it and it does lead you to believe that it's a package deal.

For those wondering, I've ordered from both vendors, I like the handa delivery service, everything was packaged very well but shipping and tax killed the deal for the larger items like the hitch and running boards. While handa actually had the lower price hondacuraworld offered no tax and free shipping though I believe FedEx ground used the hitch and running boards in some strange stress test or their transport was in some horrendous accident as the boxes showed some serious wear and tear. The guys and hondacuraworld though reshipped anything damaged and made everything right.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Mine came with the locking pin, but not the ball. I don't use the pin anyway because I use one that locks. A locking locking pin! It's keyed the same as a small shackle pad lock that goes on the trailer tongue to lock that.

Walmart has locking pins and balls for less than $40.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
captmiddy said:
So the normal price for the parts together would be $51, so yes $40.80 would be 20% off.
Thanks for doing the math, captmiddy. I'll see what the aftermarket price is for comparable items and take the best deal. I'm a bit miffed at my dealership since they don't seem to be 100% upfront about the nigglin' details on their quotes. From now on, if I decide to let them work on my ride again, I'll ask very specific questions and demand very specific answers. I don't enjoy being toyed with after dropping 32k for a vehicle and it is somewhat disappointing since this is my first Honda/non-big 3 vehicle.

With that said, I like the truck and I would buy another in a heartbeat. My issue is with the dealership and not Honda. They must feel that since the nearest dealership is 50-60 miles away, they can get away with stuff. What they likely don't know is that if they piss me off, I'll go to great lengths to avoid them. Sadly, that's not something that a brand new customer should even be considering this early in the game (first month of ownership). <shrug>

-- ridged

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
captmiddy said:
... Anyone know of a good way to test the wiring?
You can use a voltmeter or 12 volt test light to test the plug out using the four-pin version of the plug. If you look at it from the back (end on) you will see three of the four pins look the same, with the other one a little different.
(three of one sex, one of the other)

(now comes the "from memory part")
The "different one" is ground. Starting with that one, the next one to it is "tail" (which will be on with your tail lights) , the next one will be "Left Turn", which will be pulsed on/off if your left turn signal is on. The last one (farthest away from the ground) is the "Right Turn" connection. It does the same thing for the right turn signal. Now, since this is a four wire system, when you press on the Brakes, BOTH Left and Right turn pins will get +12V on them at the same time.

(Carefully) Put your meter leads on each pin in turn - Connecting the ground pin to your meter's black lead and put the red lead on the other three pins (one at a time :eek: ) and you should see the meter go up to approx. 12 volts when that pin is active. If you are using a test light, polarity won't matter.

You can buy a simple test plug that has three LEDs in it too for about $10 US but if you have a meter or test light, that is all you need.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
captmiddy said:
Anyone know of a good way to test the wiring?
I use a much simpler sure fire method. Hook it up to the trailer and see if the lights work!

kd4z's method will work better if you have to troubleshoot. I had a problem with my wiring that I posted in another thread. If you are talking about the Honda harness be sure you use the dummy plug that comes with it or nothing will work. Read this.http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865&highlight=dummy+plug

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
steveberger said:
I use a much simpler sure fire method. Hook it up to the trailer and see if the lights work!

kd4z's method will work better if you have to troubleshoot. I had a problem with my wiring that I posted in another thread. If you are talking about the Honda harness be sure you use the dummy plug that comes with it or nothing will work. Read this.http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865&highlight=dummy+plug
If I had a trailer that would certainly be what I would do, I don't. I bought the hitch for an accessory to hold my canoe, and on the off chance I would be towing the family canoe trailer, which is usually towed by my grandfather. I asked for the complete towing package so I wouldn't have to think about it later. Now that I noticed something missing, I want to test the other things before I go traipsing into the dealership asking for my locking pin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Honda Accessories Guide which I viewed in the showroom, plus on the dealer's website, illustrated that the Accessory Tow Package included the tow bar receiver, wiring harness, ball mount, ball, and locking pin (keyed). When I went to pick up my RTL after having the dealership install the tow package accessory, the ball mount, ball, and locking pin were not on the truck. I politely asked the service writer where the items were, and she said they were not part of the package. I explained that was incorrect, asked them to check their own web site, and about 5 minutes later, all three items were delivered to me with an apology. Suggest anyone getting the accessory tow package installed by Honda to ensure they also receive the ball mount, ball (accessory guide says you have a choice of 1 7/8" or 2" ball), and locking pin. I also ended up with a regular non-locking pin. As Kd4Z stated earlier, it appears the Service / Parts Dept computer isn't kicking out all the included parts for the technicians to install. I don't think the dealership is being underhanded, just a disconnect between the sales and parts and service sides of the house. ;)

·
Registered
762 Posts
akatwn said:
As Kd4Z stated earlier, it appears the Service / Parts Dept computer isn't kicking out all the included parts for the technicians to install. I don't think the dealership is being underhanded, just a disconnect between the sales and parts and service sides of the house. ;)
It depends what they charge you for. Honda likes to referr to things on their site as packages, however in their computer parts catalog it doesn't have any of them that way. On Honda's website it shows:

Your invoices should break down the individual parts.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
akatwn said:
The Honda Accessories Guide which I viewed in the showroom, plus on the dealer's website, illustrated that the Accessory Tow Package included the tow bar receiver, wiring harness, ball mount, ball, and locking pin (keyed).
The key thing here is to order the package. If you check the accessories site at Honda, you will notice that each part can be ordered and installed separately. Make sure you are clear you want the package not the parts/pieces.

·
Registered
45 Posts
:) Just got my silver RTL/S Nav last week. Just got the options put on Monday trailer package, roof rack, and fog lights.

My trailer package, came with the locking pin and 2" ball mounting. I ordered this as a package during the original sell.

The only problem I had, was that they installed a green interior fog light switch, instead of gray. I caught this before I left the dealer, and they replaced it right away.

I have been reading everyone's reponses on the site and looking out for
trouble spots, that everyone has encountered.

So far no water leaks or wind noise. I checked also, to make sure the trim molding was installed properly on the roof rack before I left the dealer.
My VIN is 524000+

Now if I could just figure out how to get the trip computer to work on the
Nav system, I'll be set.

Thanks for everyone's inputs. This site has and is very helpful, before, during, and after the purchase of my RL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts