Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have installed the Honda-brand Hood Deflector:

1. Do the mounting brackets for the hood deflector scratch up your front hood? Is the installation reversible without seeing any damage to the paint?

2. Do you really need that center brace that sticks to the center of your hood under the deflector? I've never seen a 3rd party hood deflector with that kind of brace attached to the hood itself. If you could do it again, would you have left the brace off? Or perhaps would you stick the brace to the deflector rather than the hood?

From the instructions, it appears that it's a one-way street with this one...brackets look like they crimp up against the edges of the hood and may scratch. I am especially concerned about that big block/stopper that supposedly needs to be double-stick taped to the center of your hood.

Your thoughts, please.

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Hello Keoni, I installed the hood deflector the other day and everything went well. To answer a couple of your questions, the kit comes with a protective tape that should be placed in the area where the mounts attach to the hood. The tape is transparent. The actual mounts are not "crimped" they attach via friction. The way I have them mounted, the paint is not chipped or damaged. The install appears to be reversible...I have not tried removing it. In regards to the center tab...my guess is Honda designed this because I believe it provides more support to keep the deflector from breaking. I'm sure there is a good reason, I just can't tell you for sure. Hope this helps. :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
What bongus said, I installed mine with no trouble and looks to be reversible if you wanted to take it off. It's a nice solid fit and I think it looks great. The only drawback I see is a little more time cleaning to get between it, the brackets and the hood when it gets washed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did both of you use the center bracket, or is Honda just playing it safe on this one? I was thinking of sticking the bracket to the actual deflector instead of to the hood...perhaps put a clear tape under the area that might touch the hood to prevent marring of the paint.

Your thoughts?

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts / comments on the 3m tape that they are afixing to the from of the hood - v/s the deflector?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
amazonEX-L said:
Anyone have any thoughts / comments on the 3m tape that they are afixing to the from of the hood - v/s the deflector?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking but, I will try and answer. The tape is complete clear. It feels rubbery to touch and probably 1/4 mm thick...this is a complete guess. It appears that the tape will help with protecting the paint. Also, the thickness is enough that it gives the brackets more fricition against the hood. Does this answer part of your question? :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wish I had the hood deflector installed. I took a 600 mile trip to Rochester NY from VA and got behind a truck droping bolders, have a nice chip in the paint that will probally cost more to repair than a replacement wind deflector, I also took three nice rocks to the windshield and got away with a slight chip, if this was my 03 accord I'm shurethe rocks would have been in my lap, first week with my accord a stone hit it at non highway speeds and put a nice crack in the winshield. Much mor hapy with the glass compound or manufacture of the ridge windshield!!!!!!

Gonzo

·
Registered
25 Posts
bongus said:
I'm not quite sure what you are asking but, I will try and answer. The tape is complete clear. It feels rubbery to touch and probably 1/4 mm thick...this is a complete guess. It appears that the tape will help with protecting the paint. Also, the thickness is enough that it gives the brackets more fricition against the hood. Does this answer part of your question? :cool:
Thanks for the comment - I was asking whether or not the tape would suffice (do the job of protecting the hood) rather than installing the deflector which I find to be less than complementary to the vehicle (my view).

·
Registered
578 Posts
When I purchase the truck, I will be installing xpel/stonegard. It is basically transparent "tape" which will protect the paint.
I have it on all my vehicals and won't go without them.

www.xpel.com for more info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
SHINGLES- That's the stuff I was askimg about in my posting about five rows above yours. I have a black rl, and wondered if the paint is dull or faded after you rtake it off. Is it easy to install, and does it come off easy? Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does the hood deflector mess up the the winshield washer fluid? I remember I had a friend with one several years ago and his windshield washer fluid would never make it on the windshield. The deflector would make it fly over the cab of the truck..

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have the Honda bug sheild on my RL. I installed it myself following the instructions supplied. It work great no problem with the windsheild washing function.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hood Deflector does not appear to damage paint

We have an Odyssey & the paint underneath the deflector is just fine. One of the side mounts (which is the same as the center mount on ridgeline) has come loose and you can see the paint underneath it is just fine.

I looked at the mounts and I don't see how they will damage paint if they are installed correctly.

I will put my deflector on this weekend if weather permits and I get my truck out of the body shop at the dealer.....

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I don't want to hijack anyone's thread, but I have a related question. I'm looking for a clear hood deflector made specifically for the RL. I've been searching and so far can only come up with the smoked deflector. I intend to paint the inside of the clear deflector to match the steel blue color of my truck. Can anyone steer me a source?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Installed the Honda hood deflector today and it went on no problems. I did use the center support piece that attaches to the hood with two sided tape. Have not tried it but my guess is they used that support to avoid vibration or wind moving the deflector on the highway at speeds which would be annoying if it is in the line of sight. That is only a guess since I haven't even taken the truck out for a spin yet.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Road Glider said:
Installed the Honda hood deflector today and it went on no problems. I did use the center support piece that attaches to the hood with two sided tape. Have not tried it but my guess is they used that support to avoid vibration or wind moving the deflector on the highway at speeds which would be annoying if it is in the line of sight. That is only a guess since I haven't even taken the truck out for a spin yet.
I choose not to install the center bumper. I have not had any problems....

I did not see the need for it. The deflector does not "bend" at highway speeds and appears to keep its shape well.

YMMV

1 - 20 of 23 Posts