Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From the press release:
  • Launching this fall, TrailSport to become the rugged halo for Honda light trucks
  • TrailSport-specific design and components to further advance the rugged direction of the brand’s existing light trucks without sacrificing on-road dynamics
  • Rugged upgrades for future to include more aggressive tires, increased ground clearance, off-road tuned suspension, underbody protection and expanded all-wheel drive capabilities
Built for adventure, TrailSport will bring a more rugged design and off-road capability, applied step-by-step, to certain models within the brand’s light truck lineup.

Over the next few model years and depending on the model, TrailSport off-road capability will further increase with upgrades like more aggressive tires, full-size spare tires, increased ground clearance, off-road tuned suspensions, underbody protection, and expanded all-wheel drive system capabilities."

The 2022 Pilot has been confirmed to offer a TrailSport trim, a Passport is shown in the teaser video, and the 2022 Ridgeline PDI information does not mention a TrailSport trim, so Ridgeline owners hoping for a "real" factory off-road package may have to wait a while longer.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The 2022 Pilot has been confirmed to offer a TrailSport trim, a Passport is shown in the teaser video, and the 2022 Ridgeline PDI information does not mention a TrailSport trim, so Ridgeline owners hoping for a "real" factory off-road package may have to wait a while longer.
This is almost comical...make an off road version of your SUV's, but NOT the Ridgeline? The only thing I can figure is they can try it on the higher selling models to see if it moves the needle at all from buyers. Then if it sells well on Pilots and Passports, they can try it on the RL. In either case, seems like a silly move from Honda.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well they used the term "truck" multiple times in the release, but did not use "suv". Correct me if I'm wrong but the Pilot is not a truck by DOT standards, the Ridgeline is, at least it is by PennDOT. Had to get a new plate and everything.

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well they used the term "truck" multiple times in the release, but did not use "suv". Correct me if I'm wrong but the Pilot is not a truck by DOT standards, the Ridgeline is, at least it is by PennDOT. Had to get a new plate and everything.
For accounting and marketing purposes, Honda categorizes the HR-V, CR-V, Pilot, Passport, Odyssey, and Ridgeline as "light trucks". All other models are categorized as cars.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,933 Posts
This is almost comical...make an off road version of your SUV's, but NOT the Ridgeline? The only thing I can figure is they can try it on the higher selling models to see if it moves the needle at all from buyers. Then if it sells well on Pilots and Passports, they can try it on the RL. In either case, seems like a silly move from Honda.
I totally agree with you, @gti16vman.

Reactions: phineas and Pex15

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
567 Posts
Looks like the 2022 Pilot and PP Trailblazer trims will be appearance packages only. Probably won’t be until the 4G Pilot platform for mechanical changes.
“The first models to incorporate the TrailSport treatment will feature rugged front and rear styling, durable cladding, and exclusive interior touches, including high-contrast orange stitching and signature all-weather mats that are easier to clean. With Honda’s best-in-class i-VTM4™ torque-vectoring all-wheel drive system, they will want to get dirty tackling trails, without sacrificing comfort or the best-in-class on-road dynamics of the brand’s light trucks.”

·
Registered
303 Posts
All the above skepticism aside, I'm ready for more details. Just because they don't mention Ridgeline yet, doesn't mean it's not coming. I can't imagine there wouldn't be a Ridgeline with this package after developing on a higher volume platform.
I'm pretty excited to see details. The article and video are a really shallow tease.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,933 Posts
Looks like the 2022 Pilot and PP will be appearance packages only. Probably won’t be until the 4G Pilot platform for mechanical changes.
“The first models to incorporate the TrailSport treatment will feature rugged front and rear styling, durable cladding, and exclusive interior touches, including high-contrast orange stitching and signature all-weather mats that are easier to clean. With Honda’s best-in-class i-VTM4™ torque-vectoring all-wheel drive system, they will want to get dirty tackling trails, without sacrificing comfort or the best-in-class on-road dynamics of the brand’s light trucks.”
Good find, @Cbayman. The Pilot will just look the part of an off-roader. They are taking their clues from Ford, that is coming out with the Tremor, mostly just a rebadged/dressed up F-150 without the capability of the Raptor.

Reactions: Pex15

·
Registered
5 Posts
Faux offroad vehicles sell well for Subaru. Honda is jumping on the bandwagon.

EDIT:

To add on, I don't think you're going to see real upgrades like you would on a TRD Pro or Raptor model. This is in line with the Subaru Wilderness trim, XRT with Hyundai and the Timberline Ford Exploder.

What we're going to get is more black cladding (faux fender flares), orange stitching, badges and cosmetic tires that are now standard on Ridgeline. The HPD treatment for the Passport, Pilot, CRV and HRV.

What most enthusiasts want is real AT tires with 3PMS, mild lift, VTM-4 lock, trim specific grills (H O N D A across the front grill would be pretty cool) and skid plates.

Maybe we'll get a Ridgeline Trailsport Pro/HPD/R down the line with those features but I won't hold my breath.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,933 Posts
Reactions: Ron_2019_Ridgeline

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
426 Posts
It's a good move, the HPD package is polarizing but it's still desired by a lot of buyers, and probably sold just fine, it is nice to see them tease real off road upgrades, by the time I'm ready for a new vehicle the RL version will probably be out so I'm cool with the long time line

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Lipstick and Mascara for the pig - latest marketing plan.

Kind of like the "Grabber" package for the 1970 Maverick - same Maverick - just Lipstick and Mascara.

From the engineering meeting discussions: "Since we cannot fix quality - lets just dress up the pig".

Reminds me of this "Elephant Parts skit"

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,381 Posts
Geez, lotsa Debbie Downers here!

How many of you missed this part?:

• Rugged upgrades for future to include more aggressive tires, increased ground clearance, off-road tuned suspension, underbody protection and expanded all-wheel drive capabilities

Yeah, it may take a couple years to bear fruit, but I see this as a good thing. Many have been asking for all of these things from the factory, and it looks like Honda has been listening.

What will be intriguing for many of us will be whether these changes will retrofit to existing Ridgelines? Or are these changes designed to fit the G4 Pilot, G3 Ridgeline and G2 Passport? (Or is that a G3 Passport?)...

I see good things ahead...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I hope good things are coming. I'm happy to be surprised, but I would guess there's little chance to see anything compelling for the Ridgeline before 2023 or 2024.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Geez, lotsa Debbie Downers here!

How many of you missed this part?:

Yeah, it may take a couple years to bear fruit, but I see this as a good thing. Many have been asking for all of these things from the factory, and it looks like Honda has been listening.

What will be intriguing for many of us will be whether these changes will retrofit to existing Ridgelines? Or are these changes designed to fit the G4 Pilot, G3 Ridgeline and G2 Passport? (Or is that a G3 Passport?)...

I see good things ahead...

They had their chance to do something interesting when they came out with the HPD Ridgeline. They sent out questionnaires about what people want and they gave us stickers and gold wheels. That's why people are skeptical.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,381 Posts
They had their chance to do something interesting when they came out with the HPD Ridgeline. They sent out questionnaires about what people want and they gave us stickers and gold wheels. That's why people are skeptical.
Honda is a conservative company. If they sold 800k Ridgelines per year, you might see them changing up things a bit more aggressively.

An example of this conservatism is the re-styling of the front clip. The G2 was panned from the get-go for having soft looks. It took four years, but Honda gave it a shot, it's gotten rave reviews, so we will likely see very similar bodywork on the Passport and Pilot.

Same for the HPD package... that was a simple and easy test for them to gauge response to a more off-road-oriented platform. Other manufacturers have done this as well.

I suspect that if the HPD package absolutely bombed, then Honda would not be pursuing this Trailsport package so aggressively. It sounds like some of you are giving up on Honda just as they're starting to get the ship turned around.... it takes time, especially for a model that doesn't add a lot to the company's bottom line.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
426 Posts
Too little too late. I have the R1T on order.
For almost double the price i love it but ill have to wait, also we dont have any idea on the reliability of that platform, the RL has quality control issues in the 21 but at least it has established repair facilities. i dont see it in the same class as the RL honestly

·
Registered
562 Posts
I just read this article on Car & Driver...
Honda Launches Off-Road-Focused TrailSport Trim Line

It sounds like the first iteration of the TrailSport model, due by the end of the year, will only include some goofy tacked on bits...
"The initial TrailSport vehicles will gain brawnier front and rear fascias, extra body cladding, and unique interior details such as orange stitching and all-weather floor mats."

It will be a few years before any real changes are made...
"The next few model years will bring even more focused TrailSport vehicles, with some models adding beefier tires, full-size spare tires, and underbody protection. These more dedicated all-terrain Hondas will also include specialized suspension tuning, higher ride heights, and more capable all-wheel-drive systems."

I wonder what this means for the goofball, poorly thought out & marketed HPD package?
Will they be sold side by side? Will HPD go away?

1 - 20 of 147 Posts