Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 80 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,849 Posts
I love my Ridgeline. I could have bought a Ranger or a Tacoma...but I didn't. Why? Because I use my Ridgeline as a "truck" about a dozen times a year...the rest of the time it's just my primary family vehicle. I don't want a truck, but I need a truck. Hey...that's a great marketing slogan....."Ridgeline...for when you don't want a truck but you need a truck". Brilliant!
A far larger number of people want a truck but don't really need one. The slogan goes "Ridgeline, the best truck for people who don't really need a truck"

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Sorry but your argument just doesn't jive with Honda's approach to things. . .
At most, Trailsport is going to be a modest attempt at improving off pavement road worthiness combined with an appearance package to toughen up the looks.
Agree with this. I'm confident the basic trim lines will be available. But will add that Honda is likely feeling pressure to increase capability. With the Hyundai offering having similar tow and hauling specs but with a smaller footprint, and the automotive press drawing attention to such, I would be surprised if Honda doesn't revisit this when the next Gen designing begins.

(Acknowledging that I never tow and I seldom haul more than 1.5K, and that most truck owners do not push these ratings. But the automotive press refrain is that the RL does not compete and is being matched by smaller truck alternatives).

The read-between-the-lines good news from this announcement is that Honda is continuing the Ridgeline for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't think they will ever go after the TRD Pro or make a brodozer. I think what they are going after is the people that NEED or want some extra gc for trails/roads but don't need TRD Pro level equipment. How many people have bought lifts for their RLs? Seems like quite a few so there is definitely a desire out there. It's better they offer a package for this than assume all Ridgeline owners want a lift. I think they are just trying to find ways to improve the platform (which QC is definitely the most important) and offer a solution for users that want a little more. I think it's a good idea and wouldn't mind a bit more GC myself for snow. Just my 2 cents.
Agree Honda shouldn't be trying to compete in the serious off road category. But the Subaru CrossTrek and the Honda Passport have more ground clearance than the RL? The HPD should have added some ground clearance, maybe +1 inch. In addition to being conservative, I don't think Honda has deep enough pockets for development of relatively low volume models.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Every Harley owner that I know here hauled there ride to the Stugis rally this year, but there bad and tough right because its a Harley. My brothers are out in the mountains right now riding Hondas on gravel mountain roads and camping, they do 400 to 600 miles a day. The Ridge isnt a truck ok .....tell a Harley owner it isnt a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
632 Posts
Trailsport or not, why doesn't Honda just give us the same packages it has on Canadian models? I think we have already seen our Trailsport version (HPD).

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,933 Posts
2022 Pilot at my local Honda dealer. The VIN is pretty high for a brand new model.

NEW 2022 Honda Pilot AWD TRG 7P
  • VIN: 5FNYF6H62NB011166
  • STOCK: NB011166
  • $47,145
That VIN indicates quite a few 2022 Pilots have already been produced.

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
TRG means "Touring". 7P means 7 passenger (as opposed to 6 with the captain's chairs for the second row). TrailSport is its own trim.

·
Registered
741 Posts
You seem to frown upon others when their wants don’t align with yours.
This couldn't be further from the truth. What I frown upon is someone using the wrong tool for the job. If I saw someone trying to drive a screw with a hammer, I'd be kind enough to let them know that there is a tool called a screwdriver or a drill driver which will do the job much better. I wouldn't tell them "just hit the screw harder...it'll go in eventually" or "you need a heavier hammer with a thicker handle that has some stickers on it...that'll get the job done".

I don't disparage anyone who wants to go offroad. I have a friend who has a Jeep that's set up for rock crawling. I think it's an early 90's model and nearly every part on it has been replaced. That's the right tool for what he wants to do. He's swamped it, flipped it, broken axles, blow engines, etc. He truly beats it to death. I'd never advise him to go buy a Ridgeline "TrailSport" to go offroad. That's like telling someone who wants to play heavy metal guitar to go buy a Martin acoustic guitar instead of an electric. Both are guitars, but that Martin isn't the right tool for shredding metal.

The Ridgeline is such a great vehicle because it meets the needs of such a wide variety of people. Most truck buyers never take their truck off road. Most never tow anything. Most never haul anything close to the payload capacity. By making the Ridgeline practical, comfortable, fairly economical, and affordable Honda has a unique entry into the market that NO OTHER TRUCK can compete with. So why in the heck would Honda want to move toward a segment that is already overcrowded with pickups designed from the get go to be better offroad platforms than the Ridgeline? Why not double down on what you're good at and emphasize your differentiators?

My comments have nothing to do with "frowning" on anyone's choice of activity. It has to do with being a realist. If a friend or family member came to me and said, "Hey, I need a midsize truck that can do some light off roading" I'd advise them to get a Tacoma TRD, Ranger FX4, or Frontier Pro 4X.....but not a Ridgeline....even it it had a "TrailSport" package on it. But if someone came to me and said, "Hey man, I need something to commute back and forth to work that's comfortable, isn't a gas hog, and something I can tailgate in, tow my bass boat to the lake, haul my ATV to the OHV area, and drive the family around in.....I'd immediately tell them to go buy a Ridgeline. There is on other midsize truck that does those things better.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
426 Posts
This couldn't be further from the truth. What I frown upon is someone using the wrong tool for the job. If I saw someone trying to drive a screw with a hammer, I'd be kind enough to let them know that there is a tool called a screwdriver or a drill driver which will do the job much better. I wouldn't tell them "just hit the screw harder...it'll go in eventually" or "you need a heavier hammer with a thicker handle that has some stickers on it...that'll get the job done".

I don't disparage anyone who wants to go offroad. I have a friend who has a Jeep that's set up for rock crawling. I think it's an early 90's model and nearly every part on it has been replaced. That's the right tool for what he wants to do. He's swamped it, flipped it, broken axles, blow engines, etc. He truly beats it to death. I'd never advise him to go buy a Ridgeline "TrailSport" to go offroad. That's like telling someone who wants to play heavy metal guitar to go buy a Martin acoustic guitar instead of an electric. Both are guitars, but that Martin isn't the right tool for shredding metal.

The Ridgeline is such a great vehicle because it meets the needs of such a wide variety of people. Most truck buyers never take their truck off road. Most never tow anything. Most never haul anything close to the payload capacity. By making the Ridgeline practical, comfortable, fairly economical, and affordable Honda has a unique entry into the market that NO OTHER TRUCK can compete with. So why in the heck would Honda want to move toward a segment that is already overcrowded with pickups designed from the get go to be better offroad platforms than the Ridgeline? Why not double down on what you're good at and emphasize your differentiators?

My comments have nothing to do with "frowning" on anyone's choice of activity. It has to do with being a realist. If a friend or family member came to me and said, "Hey, I need a midsize truck that can do some light off roading" I'd advise them to get a Tacoma TRD, Ranger FX4, or Frontier Pro 4X.....but not a Ridgeline....even it it had a "TrailSport" package on it. But if someone came to me and said, "Hey man, I need something to commute back and forth to work that's comfortable, isn't a gas hog, and something I can tailgate in, tow my bass boat to the lake, haul my ATV to the OHV area, and drive the family around in.....I'd immediately tell them to go buy a Ridgeline. There is on other midsize truck that does those things better.
Let's say they offered a real off road trail sport package with full suspension, off road tires, better low range gearing and more off road ivtm settings. Why would that be unsuitable for light off roading.

Once again I will argue that the first Gen ridgeline can do light off roading pretty damn well, it's heavy duty off road where it starts to suffer and at that point I personally would prefer a dedicated rock crawler VS a vehicle that might be a daily driver.

Any BoF midsize truck is pointless to me, if I want BoF I'll buy full size. If I wanted to rock crawling I would buy a beat up 90s jeep and modify it. Each person has different uses for their vehicles.

Final question.

What truck would you recommend for a guy who lives in a city at an apartment and has kids but also likes to go camping off the beaten path frequently. And needs to be able to tow a car on occasion to help a friend or family. As well as use it as a daily driver?

All my signs point to a Ridgeline but the 2G just can't do the same light off roading as my 1G and that's pretty much a deal breaker.

I only go off road a handful of times a year but I don't have room or money for an extra vehicle to do so right now so I have to have a vehicle that can do everything.

Reactions: Razor

·
Registered
288 Posts

I don't disagree with you, but Honda, like all other manufacturers build what people want. This is their attempt to be part of a hot market. All they have to do is get a small percentage for a meaningful impact. I mean look how well the refresh was received. Personally I'd like to see a Type R variant lol. I don't need any off-road capabilities as I already have something that covers that. I will say the ground clearance is still disappointing for a truck. There are many CUV's with more ground clearance. But for me I'd rather have it lowered a couple inches with a hot engine in there :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
All my signs point to a Ridgeline but the 2G just can't do the same light off roading as my 1G and that's pretty much a deal breaker.
Just curious, but what constitues light off roading to you? And how is the 2G that much different than the 1G. The 1/2" difference in ground clearance or few degrees of different approach angle? As someone who never really goes offroad, but did deal with the TX snowstorm earlier this year, I would say my 2G RL was fantastic in the snow of unplowed roads and even some ice.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
426 Posts
Just curious, but what constitues light off roading to you? And how is the 2G that much different than the 1G. The 1/2" difference in ground clearance or few degrees of different approach angle? As someone who never really goes offroad, but did deal with the TX snowstorm earlier this year, I would say my 2G RL was fantastic in the snow of unplowed roads and even some ice.
The 1G also has extra underbody protection that the 2G doesn't.

When I say light off roading I mean desert crawling, medium sided rocks everywhere, lots of washes to get in and out of. Last time I went out to camp I couldn't have gotten to my spot in a stock 2G.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
426 Posts
For the record I'm all for off road packages but still feel the RL should be focused on driver comfort. Which to me means so much more than just ride quality.

I'm purely arguing from a personal perspective of what I want, not what I think honda should do.

Honda's biggest issue is build quality right now and they should fix that first, but in the meantime I am going to support this option because I want it, but if honda quality continues to drop I won't buy it but that's the future so it's a moot point.

If Honda fixes their shit AND offers more variety packages like this I think we will all be happier

But I will argue till I'm blue in the face that these type of option packages will not make the base RL any worse, that's just not how Honda designs things. The civic type R doesn't make the regular civic worse (actually I might be wrong about this idk enough about civics but it would be strange if that was the case)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't disagree with you, but Honda, like all other manufacturers build what people want.
I think this is my point. Honda is not building what people want. They are building what they THINK people want. I recently read a Car & Driver article and the comments pretty much echo what I've been saying. Either build a purpose built off road vehicle, or stick to your practical, useful, SUV based utility truck. If they try to do both, they are going to end up with a truck that's not good at anything.

Read the comments from people who aren't on a Honda forum, but are more than likely still enthusiasts:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think this is my point. Honda is not building what people want. They are building what they THINK people want. I recently read a Car & Driver article and the comments pretty much echo what I've been saying. Either build a purpose built off road vehicle, or stick to your practical, useful, SUV based utility truck. If they try to do both, they are going to end up with a truck that's not good at anything.

Read the comments from people who aren't on a Honda forum, but are more than likely still enthusiasts:
Possibly. But, again, look how well the refresh was received. I mean it was enough for you to make the move. I know you changed trim levels and what not, but the point remains. They are doing exactly what I said. They are building what people want. Why does the Tacoma sell so well? Why do the large trucks sell so well? Put a minivan front end on any of these and see what happens. I think you're getting needs and wants mixed up. The posters in your link represent approximately .0000001% of the buying public. I bet if they made the Ridgeline look like a Tacoma, people would be buying left and right. Most couldn't tell you the difference between BOF and unibody. You can preach left and right about this stuff, but you're missing the reality of this.

·
Registered
359 Posts

When I say light off roading I mean desert crawling, medium sided rocks everywhere, lots of washes to get in and out of. Last time I went out to camp I couldn't have gotten to my spot in a stock 2G.
Clayton, I've never owned a 1G so just curious, what extra underbody protection does the 1G have?

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
426 Posts
Clayton, I've never owned a 1G so just curious, what extra underbody protection does the 1G have?
By coincidence I have a picture

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire

This piece is not huge but I have definitely scraped it at least once, there is also a thin one that covers what I think is the gas tank.

From what I've seen below the 2G the vital components are much more exposed and adding a skid plate would likely lower GC even more.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts

Sounds like my driveway, had a lifted G1 and my now G2 does just fine. Its all in picking lines.:)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I mean it was enough for you to make the move. I know you changed trim levels and what not, but the point remains.
I traded my 2019 Sport in for a 2021 Sport because I got $5000 more for my 2019 than I paid for it and could trade a 2019 with 13k on it for a new 2021 and finance $1000 less than I did on the 2019. I also got a discount on my insurance as the 2021 has the safety suite. Because I have a teenager on my insurance, that's pretty significant. Besides the financial driver, the 9-speed transmission I was avoiding when I bought my leftover 2019 has not shown any weaknesses and the 6-speed has known issues, so I wanted the upgraded transmission and push button shifter as I got tired of bumping drinks on the shifter trying to reach the cup holder.

As for the looks...I actually preferred the sleeker, more aerodynamic 2019 body. I also liked the lighter aluminum hood versus the 2021 heavy steel hood.

I think the most significant gain I got out of the 2021 besides the more robust transmission is Apple CarPlay. The new front end and faux off road tires really had nothing to do with my purchase decision.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I traded my 2019 Sport in for a 2021 Sport because I got $5000 more for my 2019 than I paid for it and could trade a 2019 with 13k on it for a new 2021 and finance $1000 less than I did on the 2019. I also got a discount on my insurance as the 2021 has the safety suite. Because I have a teenager on my insurance, that's pretty significant. Besides the financial driver, the 9-speed transmission I was avoiding when I bought my leftover 2019 has not shown any weaknesses and the 6-speed has known issues, so I wanted the upgraded transmission and push button shifter as I got tired of bumping drinks on the shifter trying to reach the cup holder.

As for the looks...I actually preferred the sleeker, more aerodynamic 2019 body. I also liked the lighter aluminum hood versus the 2021 heavy steel hood.

I think the most significant gain I got out of the 2021 besides the more robust transmission is Apple CarPlay. The new front end and faux off road tires really had nothing to do with my purchase decision.
Great! Happy for you. The new front end DID have a positive impact on many prospective buyers. You continue to ignore these things. No matter how hard you try to define what people “need”, you continue to overlook the bigger picture, which is people care about appearance. You don’t have to agree. You don’t have to like it. But ignoring it is where your argument falls apart.

61 - 80 of 147 Posts