Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
81 - 100 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
  • Launching this fall, TrailSport to become the rugged halo for Honda light trucks
  • TrailSport-specific design and components to further advance the rugged direction of the brand’s existing light trucks without sacrificing on-road dynamics
  • Rugged upgrades for future to include more aggressive tires, increased ground clearance, off-road tuned suspension, underbody protection and expanded all-wheel drive capabilities
Does it come with, or without chips?
; ^ )

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
632 Posts
Now for the bigger question, how much more will you pay for a off road worthy Ridgeline? It obviously won't be the same price.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
237 Posts
I will say the ground clearance is still disappointing for a truck. There are many CUV's with more ground clearance.
To your point, the Passport has better ground clearance.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
237 Posts
To your point, the Passport has better ground clearance.
I have owned many vehicles, including motorcycles over the years. The ones I enjoyed the most were the ones that were not narrowly focused but did everything really well. In my opinion, the current Ridgeline is only tires and GC short of being that vehicle that does everything really well.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Great! Happy for you. The new front end DID have a positive impact on many prospective buyers. You continue to ignore these things. No matter how hard you try to define what people “need”, you continue to overlook the bigger picture, which is people care about appearance. You don’t have to agree. You don’t have to like it. But ignoring it is where your argument falls apart.
I've never said appearance doesn't matter. It absolutely does. Especially to those who are not enthusiasts, which is a majority of the market. My argument has been, and continues to be, why put some fake/minimal offroad features on the Ridgeline? It will only serve to make us...Ridgeline owners....laughing stocks. It's like putting lipstick on a pig...that pig is still a pig no matter how much makeup you put on it. Why not take the engineering, R&D, marketing, etc. dollars and put it toward further differentiating the Ridgeline from the competition, not trying to beat them at a game we can't win.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've never said appearance doesn't matter. It absolutely does. Especially to those who are not enthusiasts, which is a majority of the market. My argument has been, and continues to be, why put some fake/minimal offroad features on the Ridgeline? It will only serve to make us...Ridgeline owners....laughing stocks. It's like putting lipstick on a pig...that pig is still a pig no matter how much makeup you put on it. Why not take the engineering, R&D, marketing, etc. dollars and put it toward further differentiating the Ridgeline from the competition, not trying to beat them at a game we can't win.
Why take a healthy 140lb lady and starve her to 90lbs? Because sex sells! I suspect Honda is trying to get close enough in the game to "compete" with as little dollars as possible. They don't need to win, they just need to be in the conversation. From Honda's perspective they don't need to do much. Butch it up a bit and it'll sell. They've already taken one step that direction for the '21 model...seemed to be well received.

I mean what do you propose? What crowd should they market to in order to IMPROVE sales? Perhaps you could submit your proposal to Honda's PR department :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm gonna wait for the Ridgeline Hot Wheels edition. That should be fun! :ROFLMAO::eek::p

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm curious what "expanded awd system capabilities" means. Will it just be more modes?

I'm actually surprised there weren't more modes from the get go. I don't think it would cost much for a little added software. At the very least, I think it would give the illusion that the system was more capable and advanced. Even if the additional modes were barely different from the existing modes. Maybe honda didn't want people scrolling through a list of ten different modes?

Some modes I would have wanted/expected to see: rain, dirt, gravel, grass. I think honda has basically said that "normal" is to be used in all other conditions than snow, sand, and mud. Heck, "normal" generally seems to work well in those conditions as well. I'm not at all complaining about the awd system. I actually think it is pretty amazing. I'm just a little surprised that more modes aren't offered because....... Why not? I've driven in snow. Never in sand. Done a fair amount offroad, but never when it was particularly muddy. But I've driven a ton in the rain, a lot on dirt and gravel, and a bit in grass. Apparently, separate modes for these is unnecessary. Again..... Why not? It wouldn't cost anything, and it would give me that "extra fancy" feeling.

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I'm curious what "expanded awd system capabilities" means. Will it just be more modes?

I'm actually surprised there weren't more modes from the get go. I don't think it would cost much for a little added software. At the very least, I think it would give the illusion that the system was more capable and advanced.
Too many settings could also give the illusion that the system is too dumb to figure out what to do on its own.

The vast majority of drivers just want the vehicle to go when they push the pedal on the right without having to go through a flight checklist. ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts

I'm actually surprised there weren't more modes from the get go. I don't think it would cost much for a little added software. At the very least, I think it would give the illusion that the system was more capable and advanced. Even if the additional modes were barely different from the existing modes. Maybe honda didn't want people scrolling through a list of ten different modes?

Some modes I would have wanted/expected to see: rain, dirt, gravel, grass. I think honda has basically said that "normal" is to be used in all other conditions than snow, sand, and mud. Heck, "normal" generally seems to work well in those conditions as well. I'm not at all complaining about the awd system. I actually think it is pretty amazing. I'm just a little surprised that more modes aren't offered because....... Why not? I've driven in snow. Never in sand. Done a fair amount offroad, but never when it was particularly muddy. But I've driven a ton in the rain, a lot on dirt and gravel, and a bit in grass. Apparently, separate modes for these is unnecessary. Again..... Why not? It wouldn't cost anything, and it would give me that "extra fancy" feeling.
I think the question of having another mode should only be brought up if the ones available are missing something. I can't think of what they would change in throttle response/torque placement/VSA for dirt, gravel, or grass. Sometimes more isn't better :) Maybe a tow mode? Not sure what it would do.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think the question of having another mode should only be brought up if the ones available are missing something. I can't think of what they would change in throttle response/torque placement/VSA for dirt, gravel, or grass. Sometimes more isn't better :) Maybe a tow mode? Not sure what it would do.
I like the idea of Tow Mode. Could maybe turn off the sensors/controls that need to be turned off. (Not a towing guy so I can’t remember what they are off the top of my head but I thought there were a few.) Also maybe activate a transmission temp reading. Set max speed. Just a few ideas.

81 - 100 of 147 Posts