Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,381 Posts
I like the idea of Tow Mode. Could maybe turn off the sensors/controls that need to be turned off. (Not a towing guy so I can’t remember what they are off the top of my head but I thought there were a few.) Also maybe activate a transmission temp reading. Set max speed. Just a few ideas.
Trans temp readout is good. Also lock out of OD (top four gears) unless specific engine load (or lack of) conditions are met. Program trans to downshift quicker under load, and upshift later during acceleration.

The VSA can also be dialed up
to compensate for, say, vehicle yaw if it senses trailer wanting to sway or fishtail.

As for low-speed crawl control, that can be implemented when the G3 gets the newer VSA module that supports low-speed follow / ACC. Imagine setting the cruise control to, say, 1mph and then toggling buttons to fine-tune speed, 50rpm at a time. Once speed is set, crawl control can maintain that exact speed by monitoring wheel rpms and adjusting engine speed to account for incline, decline, differing terrain, etc. Of course, this can also be very handy for regular highway speeds and super-responsive cruise control.

·
Registered
485 Posts
That Honda released a press statement to announce what basically amounts to a sticker pack soon and promising enhancements sometime in the future (with 'rugged' sprinkled into every sentence) should tell you how this will actually play out.

The bean counters at Honda are never going to go for a meaningful off road truck - especially considering how the Ridgeline is in a very narrow niche market as it is, and that niche is predicated on it NOT being like all the other trucks with those aspirations.

My prediction is the only real hope is if Honda gets some fruit from their GM alliance and whatever their Colorado sized electric truck they are developing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That Honda released a press statement to announce what basically amounts to a sticker pack soon and promising enhancements sometime in the future (with 'rugged' sprinkled into every sentence) should tell you how this will actually play out.

The bean counters at Honda are never going to go for a meaningful off road truck - especially considering how the Ridgeline is in a very narrow niche market as it is, and that niche is predicated on it NOT being like all the other trucks with those aspirations.

My prediction is the only real hope is if Honda gets some fruit from their GM alliance and whatever their Colorado sized electric truck they are developing.
My guess for the Trailsport is it's really about Passport and Pilot being in competition with Subaru/Nissan/Toyota and others. It will be subtle changes to compete with those markets and not the off-road truck markets. Ridgeline will get whatever upgrades the Passport and Pilot need to get to be competitive. It is what it is, the Ridgeline doesn't have the sales to split away from them for better or worse. Keeping the Ridgeline paired with SUVs is probably best to keep it from being just like every other mid-size truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All the above skepticism aside, I'm ready for more details. Just because they don't mention Ridgeline yet, doesn't mean it's not coming. I can't imagine there wouldn't be a Ridgeline with this package after developing on a higher volume platform.
I'm pretty excited to see details. The article and video are a really shallow tease.
I have a 2020 RTL-E which I love. BUT I am also looking into what the 2022 will look like especially IF it has this new trim?
MY ONLY CONCERN will be IF Honda will have the CHIPS needed to accomodate ALL
the trim levels? Not like last year when all you could find was a Sport model.
Also, will the Quality of the chips put into ANY new vehicle in 2022 be up to par?
Or lower quality chips just to get them out the door and make up for the money they lost in 2021??

·
Registered
144 Posts
I told myself I'd buy a Honda truck when it became available. It only took a year (purchased a 2006 Gen 1 in March of 2006, even though they were first available in March 2005). Sold it with 175K miles in October 2016. Purchased a 2017 Gen 2 in Feb 2017 and today, I have 65K miles on it and still going strong.

However ... the times they are a changin'. Why doesn't Honda spend more time on the future (EV) vs. these gimmicky lipstick 'upgrades'? I'm not sure I'll live long enough to see an EV Ridgeline. :(

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I have a 2020 RTL-E which I love. BUT I am also looking into what the 2022 will look like especially IF it has this new trim?
Also, will the Quality of the chips put into ANY new vehicle in 2022 be up to par?
Or lower quality chips just to get them out the door and make up for the money they lost in 2021??
No one, perhaps even Honda, has answers to these questions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is almost comical...make an off road version of your SUV's, but NOT the Ridgeline? The only thing I can figure is they can try it on the higher selling models to see if it moves the needle at all from buyers. Then if it sells well on Pilots and Passports, they can try it on the RL. In either case, seems like a silly move from Honda.
I agree................besides those that will pay $60,000 +/- for a truck and then go out in the boon docks on the week end and try to tear them apart........ain't quite right to begin with !

·
Registered
14 Posts
From the press release:
  • Launching this fall, TrailSport to become the rugged halo for Honda light trucks
  • TrailSport-specific design and components to further advance the rugged direction of the brand’s existing light trucks without sacrificing on-road dynamics
  • Rugged upgrades for future to include more aggressive tires, increased ground clearance, off-road tuned suspension, underbody protection and expanded all-wheel drive capabilities
Built for adventure, TrailSport will bring a more rugged design and off-road capability, applied step-by-step, to certain models within the brand’s light truck lineup.

Over the next few model years and depending on the model, TrailSport off-road capability will further increase with upgrades like more aggressive tires, full-size spare tires, increased ground clearance, off-road tuned suspensions, underbody protection, and expanded all-wheel drive system capabilities."

The 2022 Pilot has been confirmed to offer a TrailSport trim, a Passport is shown in the teaser video, and the 2022 Ridgeline PDI information does not mention a TrailSport trim, so Ridgeline owners hoping for a "real" factory off-road package may have to wait a while longer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
All the above skepticism aside, I'm ready for more details. Just because they don't mention Ridgeline yet, doesn't mean it's not coming. I can't imagine there wouldn't be a Ridgeline with this package after developing on a higher volume platform.
I'm pretty excited to see details. The article and video are a really shallow tease.
I agree, we just need to wait for more details. I remember when I was waiting for photos and details on the new 2021 Ridgeline. It seemed forever before they even gave any information and then a long time before any 2021 Ridgelines were available to purchase. I think Honda likes to wait until they think they have it "perfect" before they launch. Anyways, LOVE our black 2021 Ridgeline Black Edition. I will wait a couple of years until I consider a sportier version.
John Boy

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm curious what "expanded awd system capabilities" means. Will it just be more modes?

I'm actually surprised there weren't more modes from the get go. I don't think it would cost much for a little added software. At the very least, I think it would give the illusion that the system was more capable and advanced. Even if the additional modes were barely different from the existing modes. Maybe honda didn't want people scrolling through a list of ten different modes?

Some modes I would have wanted/expected to see: rain, dirt, gravel, grass. I think honda has basically said that "normal" is to be used in all other conditions than snow, sand, and mud. Heck, "normal" generally seems to work well in those conditions as well. I'm not at all complaining about the awd system. I actually think it is pretty amazing. I'm just a little surprised that more modes aren't offered because....... Why not? I've driven in snow. Never in sand. Done a fair amount offroad, but never when it was particularly muddy. But I've driven a ton in the rain, a lot on dirt and gravel, and a bit in grass. Apparently, separate modes for these is unnecessary. Again..... Why not? It wouldn't cost anything, and it would give me that "extra fancy" feeling.
Good question! I am betting the Honda Marketing Team has it's own idea of what "expanded" means. My guess is that there are no mechanical changes at all, just that you should "expand" your envisioned use of the truck, or they will simply add more selections to the transmission shift button that will read "NORMAL- SNOW-SAND-GRAVEL-ANTHILLS-ROCKS-WHATEVERYOUWANTDUDE"

·
Registered
210 Posts
Or lower quality chips just to get them out the door and make up for the money they lost in 2021
??

If Honda all sorts of money in 2021 the stock sure does NOT reflect that in YTD or Year over Year +22% 1 year in what was a very tough supply chain situation.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Electronic device

Azure Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·

·
Registered
562 Posts
So the only real trail-oriented feature of the TrailSport is..."Standard on TrailSport and Elite is Honda's i-VTM4™ torque-vectoring all-wheel drive system."
Maybe zroger73 can chime in regarding how it differs from the standard AWD system on the current Ridgeline.

Everything else is just tacked appearance-only garbage.
The hard-core poseurs will order a TrailSport with the HPD package!

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
The iVTM-4 torque-vectoring AWD system used on the Pilot, Ridgeline, and Passport is the same.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Honda had to do this to the PP once they changed the front end on the RL otherwise the whining would be relentless.. For some reason I think the HPD stuff looks good on the PP while it's ugly on the RL. The exhaust looks good and those 18's are a must. Looks like they stole those wheels from a Colorado. Overall, a small but necessary evolutionary change. It will a shame to see the Passport headlight performance decrease though. I take it that this new grille will be on all Passports?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,933 Posts
Reactions: zroger73
101 - 120 of 147 Posts