Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
That idea was already tested on Goldwings in the 90's but not brought to production! Are they putting them in the 06 or 07's?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would like to see the crash test videos of this. What happens to your arms as the bags deploy severe burns from the bags? By the way the pic is of a Harley Davidson not a Honda.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Here is the picture that was on Edmunds page for this announcement, and it says it will be on the 2006 Goldwing. I question effectiveness given that it would seem more likely that you fly out over the top of the bike than that you go face first into the front window.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here in Montana you do not have to wear a helmet. Not sure about other states. After 17 years as a volunteer EMT, I can not count how many times I have said " If you had only been wearing a helmet," sometimes they could hear me and sometimes not. I am afraid all an airbag will do is provide a sense of false security, I'll let you know. :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Stoopid!!!

I can just imagine the dialog: "Well, I was in a low side fall, everything was going O.K. until that damn airbag trapped me under the bike...."

Or: "It was interesting watching the airbag inflate as I was flying away from the bike into the weeds...."

Airbags work because the passenger/driver is belted in place. This is the dumbest and dumberer idea ever.

I do wear a helmet and I am an MSF instructor. I don't need a motorcycle thinking for me. :eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Desert Ridge said:
Stoopid!!!

I can just imagine the dialog: "Well, I was in a low side fall, everything was going O.K. until that damn airbag trapped me under the bike...."

Or: "It was interesting watching the airbag inflate as I was flying away from the bike into the weeds...."

Airbags work because the passenger/driver is belted in place. This is the dumbest and dumberer idea ever.

I do wear a helmet and I am an MSF instructor. I don't need a motorcycle thinking for me. :eek:
In this litigious world we live in, I am sure that a big company like Honda has extensively tested and retested this product, as they would any safety product before introducing it in a production model.

I am sure Honda engineers have addressed all of your concerns prior to putting it into production.

I can imagine Detroit car makers probably were met with similar skepticsm when they introduced a thing called seat belts. I'm sure many arm chair engineers proclaimed that drivers would get trapped in their vehicles and brun to death.

That being said, I am primarily a motorcycle racer, and think it will be awhile before we see these on the track. If they figure out a safe way to deploy them, I'm all for it.

I have seen personal air bags. They are sewn into a rider's garments and rapidly inflate upon being thrown. They supposedly cushion your fall and protect you while tumbling, but I have yet to meet anyone who can give a first hand account.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am sure that Honda has tested this system extensivly, the arguments sound to much like the early arguments about seat belts. All though an airbag on a motor cycle does sound odd, I am sure it would offer some protection.

As for helmets there is no question they save lives, I always wear one on my mountain bike.
They prevent DAIN BRAMAGE, if you have difficulty understading that fact it may be to late for prevention.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am not a motorcycle rider so what I know about them is pretty limited, but my understanding is that this is supposed to slow your speed when being thrown from the bike. My guess, and this is all it can be since I haven't seen anything specific yet, is that it works much like a car airbag and is designed to only go off in the specific situation that would cause you to be throw forward off the bike, a sudden change in forward momentum and the front wheel folding under the bike. The reality is that in most car accidents, the airbags do not go off, so I would assume it would be similar in most motorcycle accidents. It would probably also be geared to determine the angle of the bike so that it doesn't go off if you are in a slide as it would add no value.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Very Impressive, Looks Like It Made This Collision Survivable For The Bike Rider, I Am Not Sure If The Driver Of The Car Would Have Survived If He Had No Side Airbags.

The Goldwing Is A Realy Heavy Bike, Often Over A Thousand Pounds Loaded. I Have Alway Refered To Them As Winabikos.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts