Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time in over 30 years I had a serious flat. I hit a small piece of scrap /pot metal {never saw it} while driving on the freeway in Phoenix. The TPMS went off and I watched the the pressure in my left rear drop quickly. It had been at 34 and the TPMS beeped when it had dropped to 24. It quickly gave up about 2 psi every 30 seconds as I scrambled to get off the freeway. I was down to 16 psi when I got into a gas station and attempted to pump it up while my bride Googled the nearest tire store.

I found the jagged, very sharp piece of metal and managed to pull it cleanly from the center of the tread but the air hose was barely out pacing the leak and I got into a parking space and started to change the tire. Naturally the skies opened up and it began to pour but at least I was in a fairly safe location {I would have called for road service had we still been on the freeway.}

First problem I discovered is the Mickey mouse spare is only 17" vs the 18" wheels the truck normally rolls on. The scissors jack is close to a joke but did manage to lift the truck high enough to get the flat off and then raised it more to fit the spare in place. I will be heading to Harbor Freight this week to pick up a decent bottle jack and yep, lots of room for it in the {gotta love it} trunk.. Fortunately the keyed security socket was right where it belonged in a small cloth pouch in the glove compartment... you might want to check and make sure yours is there because that wheel is not coming off without it... just sayin.

After changing the tire and the wanna be spare was definitely low, something else for all of us to check, I found a discount tire store 5 miles away. Unfortunately they were busy and guesstimated a 3 hour delay to repair or replace the tire. I drove home keeping my speed down and dropped the flat off at my local Big O tire store . Told them to plug it if they could and failing that replace it with as close to the other 3 as possible {my 2019 RL has 22,000 miles}. Called them this morning and he said they could plug it no problem and I'll go pick it up in an hour or so.

Here is a pic of the metal I hit:

Nickel Coin Jewellery Metal Fashion accessory

:mad:

·
Registered
473 Posts
That sucks, but glad you were able to safely get off the highway and change it. Also good that they were able to patch it. I agree it is a bummer it is a space saver spare, but then again, probably don't want to drive on a spare very long anyway.

·
Registered
385 Posts
A full spare was one of the first things I bought and throw it in the back for cross country trips. I rotate in the spare with my oil changes. This wouldn't have helped you in your situation unless you carried it with you all the time ( I don't). I completely agree with you the space saver spare is less than ideal. The G1s could fit a full spare, not sure what happened. I have a nice craftmans floor jack but never carry it with me, would be good to maybe find a smaller one that is good because I could see how that scissor jack would be less than ideal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You were fortunate to be able to plug your tire. If replacement was needed and you have AWD, you would need four new tires.
I had to replace a my right front tire earlier this year when I went way too close to a curb when making a left hand turn into my subdivision. Self-inflicted wound. The tire was shredded. So I took my '19 Sport AWD to a tire shop and they replaced that one tire with an 18-inch perfect match for $234 out the door. Can't complain. Coulda been way worse for that lesson learned.

·
Registered
2021 Canadian Ridgeline Sport
127 Posts
After 22 years with a traditional full-sized pickup truck, I can tell you that the traditional location of the spare (outside, under the bed) can be a real problem in snow/salt country. I replaced the spare tire and wheel assembly twice over the years because it was so rusty that it wouldn't hold air. During that time, I never had a flat. Thank you, 10-ply heavy-duty tires. I don't like the space-saver, but I sure do like that it lives inside protected from the salt.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
After 22 years with a traditional full-sized pickup truck, I can tell you that the traditional location of the spare (outside, under the bed) can be a real problem in snow/salt country. I replaced the spare tire and wheel assembly twice over the years because it was so rusty that it wouldn't hold air. During that time, I never had a flat. Thank you, 10-ply heavy-duty tires. I don't like the space-saver, but I sure do like that it lives inside protected from the salt.
I agree, and I too literally cannot remember when the last time we ever have had a flat tire, so I am thinking there is little reason for us to purchase a "better" jack? Also, we had to try it, but we have since convinced ourselves that the Ridgeline really has no business doing any serious off-road trekking, so the included spare should be sufficient getting us to the nearest tire fix-it place.

Our 2019 requires no key.................

But you were right about one thing Capt Steve, the spare tire did require servicing, thanks! ;)

Bill

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree, and I too literally cannot remember when the last time we ever have had a flat tire, so I am thinking there is little reason for us to purchase a "better" jack? Also, we had to try it, but we have since convinced ourselves that the Ridgeline really has no business doing any serious off-road trekking, so the included spare should be sufficient getting us to the nearest tire fix-it place.

Bill
Agreed, Bill. The toughest part about the jack is identifying the jack point. With all that weight, I wanted to be absolutely, positively darn sure, that I was using the right spot under the chassis.

The "offest road" we'll travel on is to a camping spot within the north Georgia mountains and forest. Shouldn't have to ford any streams or jump any boulders....!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OP here... just got back from Big O tires and for $20 they plugged and remounted the tire. Since the penetration was right in the middle of the tread they said no problem with the plugging. For about another $20 I can get a decent bottle jack at Harbor Freight and will soon do so. For the record Forrest Service roads or their dirt/gravel equivalents cause me no worries. My RL eats them up and that includes serious snow, sand and or mud. Now if I can just get that wimpy spare and all the parts back in their proper alignment forward of the trunk it will have been a pretty good day.

:cool:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Why 4 new tires?
I think it has to do with the amount of difference in tread the new tire having a larger diameter because of the extra tread. The concern I believe is with the AWD system over long periods of time. There was some post where someone compared the spare with the OEM tire to see the difference and the assumption that the difference is the acceptable amount of difference for the system. That's part of the reason I bought another tire/wheel to rotate in so I have a spare without worrying about my tread differences :) That isn't the only reason but was an added bonus.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I think it has to do with the amount of difference in tread the new tire having a larger diameter because of the extra tread. The concern I believe is with the AWD system over long periods of time.
Compact spare tire as compared to full sized tires.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Font

Maybe to have a bit of fun doing a little trivia, how many manufacturers out there today don't even include a spare tire with their new cars?

Bill

·
Registered
106 Posts
For the first time in over 30 years I had a serious flat. I hit a small piece of scrap /pot metal {never saw it} while driving on the freeway in Phoenix.
:mad:
I had my first flat in a long while over the summer. It was 100 degrees outside (the asphalt where my truck sat was much hotter!). I was able to get the spare on and drive it to Discount for a quick patch job. All's well that ends well.

But get this...the big screw I ran over was in the tire head first! I bet that doesn't happen too often. I wanted to patch the tire myself, but I couldn't pull the screw out. Oh well...such is life.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Compact spare tire as compared to full sized tires.

View attachment 418082

Maybe to have a bit of fun doing a little trivia, how many manufacturers out there today don't even include a spare tire with their new cars?

Bill
That's cool to see, thanks @wjfyfe . So theoretically you would think the AWD system can at least handle a variance of almost an inch for at least a temporary amount of time?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I found the scissors jack works just like every other scissors jack I have used in my life. I don't see any significant advantage of a bottle jack over the scissors jack.
I would also thank the OP for getting me to think about looking for exactly where the jack points are, I have neglected to do that before today!

Bill

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
656 Posts
That's cool to see, thanks @wjfyfe . So theoretically you would think the AWD system can at least handle a variance of almost an inch for at least a temporary amount of time?
Curious about the limitations Honda has for use of tires of different sizes on the corners of the AWD system? Apparently there is not a concern for using the compact spare as long as speed is under 50mph and replaced with a full size tire as soon as possible.

I used Google to find the following article about the importance of matching tires for AWD systems. The article points out that each manufacturer has their own requirements because of the design of their systems.

Perhaps @zroger73 can comment about Honda's requirement for tire size matching so as not to impact the AWD system.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had an almost identical experience literally 24 hours after picking up my new RL. I assumed it was a faulty tire or seal, and was pretty abrupt with the gal who sold me the car on the phone, cause I did not see any obvious puncture. HondaCare did send out AAA, who changed the tire to the spare, and once it was off it was obvious that a box cutter knife had got embedded in the tire. I apologized to the sales gal.

It was unfixable, and I ended up having to wait a week and pay $250 before I could drive my new car again.

Does a full size spare fit in the spare well? I think they should provide a full size spare as an option and find a way to fit it into that slot.

BTW first blowout on the road (on my own car) that I’ve experienced in 40+ years of driving. Hopefully the last.

·
Administrator
20,333 Posts
Perhaps @zroger73 can comment about Honda's requirement for tire size matching so as not to impact the AWD system.
The only Hondas that could be damaged by different tire diameters on the same axle are the Civic Si and Type R which have helical limited-slip differentials.

Using tires with different diameters on the Ridgeline or any other Honda model will not damage the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
1 - 20 of 103 Posts