Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering, somehow by magic, my dealer calls and says honda said that they would not be paying for the rental car anymore and that the dealer had the driver's airbag in stock, but it was on a first come, first serve basis.

so i says (with all the confidence in my knowledge gained from this forum)... ummm that's not right, the inflators are vin specific, and can not just be installed willy nilly..

so they go " nope dummy (paraphrasing of course) honda says that we have to assign a vin when we order the inflator, but any inflator can be installed in any vehicle "and then they go " we have 9 in stock and 8 Rl's waiting "

so i tear azz up there after dumping the ram back at enterprise, lo and behold they have the driver's bag, so i'm watching through the window as the guy puts in the bag, and i see 3 boxes with yellow warning tape next to his bench, in one of them was my driver's bag, he puts that in and then he leaves his area for a bit.

next thing i know the service adviser is next to me saying "we actually have the passenger bag in, do you want us to replace that"

i think to myself " i should say something like umm no i like driving alone"... but instead i let out a surprised "ok yeah!"

so the guy comes back, opens the 2nd box he already had waiting, and drops the passenger bag in.

don't know what the 3rd box is for, but he took it away.

regardless, got my truck back, both bags replaced all good to go....

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The way it goes is a dealer is allowed x amount of inflators to order a week or day. The back counter parts has a list of people waiting/appointments. If the customer that is waiting does not answer the phone the next person gets called and so forth. Or if they miss the appointment..they get kicked down the line. The goal is to get as many vehicles fixed as quickly as possible.

So lucky you that you answered the phone.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think I posted this on the air bag sticky forum - but dealers have clearly been told to take care of the renters first and get those rentals off the Honda books -

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I think I posted this on the air bag sticky forum - but dealers have clearly been told to take care of the renters first and get those rentals off the Honda books -
I don't doubt that. I haven't looked at our list in awhile but I'm sure there is marking for whom is in a rental and who is not.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
s.t.u.v, maybe i typed it a bit misleading...

enterprise called me on a monday evening and said the my dealer would no longer be paying for the rental, even though i had not been contacted about the airbag

i called the dealer tuesday morning, ready to tear their head off, but they said that HONDA had decided to stop paying for alternate transportation as stated in their recall letter.

magically (yeah right) the dealer just happened to have an airbag in stock

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
just wondering, somehow by magic, my dealer calls and says honda said that they would not be paying for the rental car anymore and that the dealer had the driver's airbag in stock, but it was on a first come, first serve basis.

so i says (with all the confidence in my knowledge gained from this forum)... ummm that's not right, the inflators are vin specific, and can not just be installed willy nilly..

so they go " nope dummy (paraphrasing of course) honda says that we have to assign a vin when we order the inflator, but any inflator can be installed in any vehicle "and then they go " we have 9 in stock and 8 Rl's waiting "

so i tear azz up there after dumping the ram back at enterprise, lo and behold they have the driver's bag, so i'm watching through the window as the guy puts in the bag, and i see 3 boxes with yellow warning tape next to his bench, in one of them was my driver's bag, he puts that in and then he leaves his area for a bit.

next thing i know the service adviser is next to me saying "we actually have the passenger bag in, do you want us to replace that"

i think to myself " i should say something like umm no i like driving alone"... but instead i let out a surprised "ok yeah!"

so the guy comes back, opens the 2nd box he already had waiting, and drops the passenger bag in.

don't know what the 3rd box is for, but he took it away.

regardless, got my truck back, both bags replaced all good to go....
So no rental vehicle for us took in for battery drain issue and Trans/VTM-4 Diff Fluid change overdue for service and they replaced both airbags today had not even contacted Honda about airbags no appointment for service was even made this mourning. Sport Honda Silver Spring Maryland. They are a small dealership but have two separate service location. The Honda Service Center in downtown Silver Spring MD this was the original shop from the old Honda dealership back in the 70s. The other is at the Dealership they are 9 miles apart or about 20mins in light traffic. I am just thinking they might have had a large supply of airbags do to the volume of vehicles they service.
Don't know why I got them so fast I will ask when I pick truck up tomorrow.
Work was completed before 5PM today.

Reactions: Carsmak
1 - 6 of 6 Posts