Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
Obsidian Pearl Blue 2020 Honda Ridgeline
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Ridgeline website on Honda.com

Scrolled down to the Honda Sensing section and over to the ACC option and it reads:

"ACC helps you maintain a set following interval behind a detected vehicle for highway driving. If the detected vehicle slows to a stop, ACC is designed to slow and stop your vehicle as well. After stopping, a tap on the throttle instructs the car to continue maintaining the desired interval."

I purchased a new 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E about 4 days ago because of this advertisement but yet it seems the vehicle does not stop or slow down to a stop by itself. Anyone else affected by this, Honda has not gotten back to me about this yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Went to the Ridgeline website on Honda.com

Scrolled down to the Honda Sensing section and over to the ACC option and it reads:

"ACC helps you maintain a set following interval behind a detected vehicle for highway driving. If the detected vehicle slows to a stop, ACC is designed to slow and stop your vehicle as well. After stopping, a tap on the throttle instructs the car to continue maintaining the desired interval."

I purchased a new 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E about 4 days ago because of this advertisement but yet it seems the vehicle does not stop or slow down to a stop by itself. Anyone else affected by this, Honda has not gotten back to me about this yet.

Thanks! View attachment 401059
There should have been a footnote somewhere in Honda's information that states that the "resume from stop"* function is not applicable to the Ridgeline, Pilot, Passport, etc., as these models do not have a VSS system capable of working below 31mph, or whatever the cutoff is.

IOW, your Ridgeline is working as designed. If Honda is actually advertising that ALL Honda models with Safety Sensing can "resume from stop"* with no footnotes or caveats, then a very good lawyer might be able to make a case for you based on false advertising.

Good Luck!

* i don't recall what the actual phrasing for the function is called, but that should get us in the ballpark!

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a screenshot of the entire page. It's very clear this Truck is advertised as having ACC with the capability of slowing to a stop with no reference otherwise. Also, webarchive has the pages saved and it hasn't been updated for over a month. Many new Ridgeline owners could be affected by this apparent mistake. I know that I am, I just purchased a $42k truck that may not have the feature that was advertises and the primary reason of purchasing this specific vehicle.

Anyways I love the Ridgeline besides this "small" (but costly) issue, hopefully Honda will be willing to properly remedy it somehow someway without having to get an attorney.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I do see an asterisk next to the ACC, as well as the RDM. The asterisk is telling you that you need to read more about it than they have room to print in that marketing blurb.

Not telling you that you don't have a case, but that asterisk is going to make it extremely difficult.

IMO, if i were very interested in ACC to the point that i would base a significant buying decision on the feature, i would read all of the good and bad points about the system (one of the bad points being that it is not available on Honda's light trucks) prior to purchase. Not defending Honda here, just caveat emptor.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I totally see what your saying, they will need to compensate in some way or fashion. Here's the underlying code showing the disclaimer. There is nothing on the page that says otherwise and the average customer is not going to inspect the page. Also, the dealership confirmed the 2020 has "ACC with low-speed follow" (so it seems some dealers may be misinformed as well).

Also the press release seems to contain that mention as well, here's one example: 2020 Honda Ridgeline Upgraded With 9-Speed Automatic And More

Attaching screenshot showing code with disclaimer for asterisk.

I do want to say that I mean no ill-intent to Honda and I absolutely LOVE the truck besides this issue, which I am sure Honda will fix or compensate appropriately for. I am happy to join the Ridgeline community for the foreseeable future.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Honda's site has been horribly managed and updated as of late. I’ve DM'ed them on Twitter and sent emails on several occasions for features that are broken or inaccurate information. They need to pay attention to this stuff, now more than ever. OP's error is a prime example of why it’s so important.

/rant

·
Super Moderator
5,235 Posts
"...which I am sure Honda will fix or compensate appropriately for..."

@zroger73, will be able to advise you on how much compensation you can expect from Honda.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,597 Posts
Anyways I love the Ridgeline besides this "small" (but costly) issue, hopefully Honda will be willing to properly remedy it somehow someway without having to get an attorney.
Well, now that you've got your RL and understand how it really works (hard to understand why you didn't test this 'priority for you' item during a test drive?) .... one might ask: "What do you imagine as a 'proper remedy' for your ill-considered (IMO*) buying decision?"

*IMO because caveat emptor means conducting due diligence before making a purchase

"...which I am sure Honda will fix or compensate appropriately for..."

@zroger73, will be able to advise you on how much compensation you can expect from Honda.
?

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not going to make comments on that until I speak with Honda, however I know it's a $42,000 liability. Who's to say if I test drove it or not, or perhaps I wasn't able to definitely confirm due to coronavirus and a stay-at-home order in my state. That's one reason I posted here to begin with to understand if it's true that it lacks the advertised feature or not. The main point here is that the advertising materials for the vehicle I purchased not only specifically says it has the capability but the dealership also confirmed that. I made a $42,000 purchase decision based on that information. As mentioned above, there could be a warranty extension, there could be an offer to replace with a 2021 equivalent trim if it fixes the issue at hand, there's the potential for monetary compensation since I purchased the truck with a certified check (same as cash).

I suspect neither you nor I are attorneys or legal scholars, but we know where this could go especially if hundreds or thousands of people were under that false impression from Honda's website.

Here’s a snapshot of North Carolina’s laws regarding deceptive advertising:

North Carolina General Statutes § 14-117: Makes it unlawful to use advertisements that contain untrue, deceptive, or misleading statements.
North Carolina General Statutes § 75-1.1: States that unfair or deceptive acts are unlawful.

Possible Penalties
Some of the penalties that fraudulent or deceptive advertisers may suffer in North Carolina include:
Source: North Carolina | Truth In Advertising

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes, thank you for posting information that was already shared above in my screenshot of the code. Your description shows a perfectly valid argument of how that could be misleading advertising, don't you think? You just hit the nail on the coffin. How much more misleading could that be? Now add the fact that the dealership backed up the information that the 2020 had a new 9 speed transmission and "adaptive cruise control with low-speed follow". See the problem?

To emphasize how confusing that is one simply needs to re-read it. The main blurb says ACC is designed to slow and stop your vehicle. Yes, of course if you're traveling at high speed and there is an abrupt stop or completely stopped vehicle it is your responsibility to prevent a collision. That pop-up clarifies nothing and only adds to the confusion. "ACC only includes a limited braking function" - that doesn't tell much except perhaps it can't brake from 60-0 in the same time as a driver could by slamming down the brake pedal. Again that does not change the fact that they are and HAVE been advertising that "ACC is designed to slow and stop your vehicle."

I am not sure why several are adamant about trying to prove me wrong here but the cold reality is Honda is creating a liability and others like @TNTA2 agree. I am not the only one here who feels like that. This wasn't a $500 purchase, this was a $42,000 purchase and because of that Honda WILL compensate in some way, I promise you that. If I have to pay an attorney, so be it but I have faith Honda will rectify this without going to that step. Be part of the solution or move on. Maybe Honda will take advertising material more seriously after this.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
359 Posts
I agree it's misleading,but I was told that if you get really close to something the truck will actually stop to prevent an accident, not that it's a function for daily driving; and that would make your case much harder to win, based on the asterisk.
I just think Honda's lawyers are better than any individual could afford, and at best you'll see the verbage get changed on the site. However, if you do get any money, let us know I'd like to get in on that action.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honda's official reply makes things even more confusing. I asked them point blank:

Thank you for that information however does the ACC do what your website advertises for the 2020 Ridgeline RTL-E:

Honda's official reply:

Thank you for your reply to Honda Automobile Customer Service and allowing our team the opportunity of responding to your message. We received your reply regarding operation of your 2020 Honda Ridgeline vehicle's Adaptive Cruise Control system.

Essentially, the Adaptive Cruise Control system allows the user to set a following interval speed when driving the vehicle. Using the Honda Sensing system and sensors, ACC helps maintain a constant vehicle speed and a set following-interval behind a vehicle detected ahead of yours, without you having to keep your foot on the brake or the accelerator.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
397 Posts
I don't know much about it but have some experience with the Mercedes system. It's not meant to drive for you, it's there for accident prevention. If the distance between you and the car in front decreases rapidly, as would happen if you are approaching a stationary object, it activates.
It isn't going to mandate a certain distance and apply brakes to maintain it. That would be unworkable in City driving where you are always changing speed and distances to other vehicles.
Hondas explanation doesn't match my understanding however. Maybe they are indeed misleading with there claims.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know much about it but have some experience with the Mercedes system. It's not meant to drive for you, it's there for accident prevention. If the distance between you and the car in front decreases rapidly, as would happen if you are approaching a stationary object, it activates.
It isn't going to mandate a certain distance and apply brakes to maintain it. That would be unworkable in City driving where you are always changing speed and distances to other vehicles.
Hondas explanation doesn't match my understanding however. Maybe they are indeed misleading with there claims.
Agree! Hey btw, what type of trailer is that in your profile pic, looks cool!

·
Administrator
14,638 Posts
Some early 2017 Ridgelines incorrectly advertised walk-away auto locking on the Monroney label on models not so equipped. Honda gave owners a $100 credit good at Honda dealers.

Some 2017 CR-V EX-L owners were able to to get a $300 credit from Honda after complaining about HD Radio missing from their non-navigation models even though this feature was advertised on Honda's website and in printed literature.

I've never known of Honda to compensate owners for an error that existed only on their website.

This wasn't a $500 purchase, this was a $42,000 purchase and because of that Honda WILL compensate in some way, I promise you that. If I have to pay an attorney, so be it but I have faith Honda will rectify this without going to that step.
Good luck. Honda's US legal department alone covers six acres.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look man I am not looking to argue or prove that even if you have the best biggest attorneys does not necessarily mean you will win. Before it even goes anywhere like that I am reaching out to Honda to make sure they are even aware that is up like that and their support team is giving those answers. I look forward to working with Honda, I have faith we can work it out. Like I said I love the truck other than the ACC and I do consider that alteration in reality vs advertisement to be a large factor in safety. Everyone may not be as impacted as my situation because I legitimately trusted the information on Honda's sales page and the dealerships testimony towards the feature, with no real reliable/safe way to test it with the pandemic. I used that information to make a decision, that's exactly what we should stand up to is false or misinformation. If Honda was aware that information has been up like that since the truck launched and refused to correct it, which led to a boost in sales that's not only illegal but criminal, that's not what I am saying they did here, just saying it's happened with other automakers (VW, ahmm). ACC with Start/Stop or Low-Speed Follow is ideal on highway driving traffic or even city driving. I traded a 2019 Hyundai Sante Fe Ultimate Edition with ACC Low-Speed and also owned a 2018 CR-V with it, it's pretty amazing and definitely a huge advantage when it comes to safety.

·
Administrator
14,638 Posts
Look man I am not looking to argue or prove that even if you have the best biggest attorneys does not necessarily mean you will win. Before it even goes anywhere like that I am reaching out to Honda to make sure they are even aware that is up like that and their support team is giving those answers. I look forward to working with Honda, I have faith we can work it out. Like I said I love the truck other than the ACC and I do consider that alteration in reality vs advertisement to be a large factor in safety. Everyone may not be as impacted as my situation because I legitimately trusted the information on Honda's sales page and the dealerships testimony towards the feature, with no real reliable/safe way to test it with the pandemic. I used that information to make a decision, that's exactly what we should stand up to is false or misinformation. If Honda was aware that information has been up like that since the truck launched and refused to correct it, which led to a boost in sales that's not only illegal but criminal, that's not what I am saying they did here, just saying it's happened with other automakers (VW, ahmm). ACC with Start/Stop or Low-Speed Follow is ideal on highway driving traffic or even city driving. I traded a 2019 Hyundai Sante Fe Ultimate Edition with ACC Low-Speed and also owned a 2018 CR-V with it, it's pretty amazing and definitely a huge advantage when it comes to safety.
I fully agree there is conflicting information regarding the ACC;s capabilities on Honda's website for the 2020 Ridgeline. I'm just giving you an idea about realistic expectations.

You said, "I purchased a new 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E about 4 days ago because of this advertisement..." If the low-speed follow function of ACC was truly that important to you and the primary reason you purchased the vehicle as your statement suggests, I can't imagine not testing that feature before spending $42,000.

Please keep us updated on the outcome.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I fully agree there is conflicting information regarding the ACC;s capabilities on Honda's website for the 2020 Ridgeline. I'm just giving you an idea about realistic expectations.

You said, "I purchased a new 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E about 4 days ago because of this advertisement..." If the low-speed follow function of ACC was truly that important to you and the primary reason you purchased the vehicle as your statement suggests, I can't imagine not testing that feature before spending $42,000.

Please keep us updated on the outcome.
Thank you! Will do! Maybe they will buy us all Comma 2's with OpenPilot. ;)

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
397 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.