Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
dealers are all about running things as cheaply as possible. I bet they got that truck for a lower price than they could've acquired a Ridgeline, so that may explain why.

Worst I ever saw was a Dodge dealer using a Tacoma as their parts truck. Absolutely no excuse there.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Yep 4wd Ridgeline is expensive compared to that 2wd basic work beater truck.
They would not dare have their parts guy running around in more luxurious.
Ridgeline RT model dogging it. I remember back in the day when the shuttle van my Honda dealership used was a Dodge Caravan.This was to take people that dropped their cars off for service in mourning to subway station or good metro bus stop location. They could pick you up in afternoon rush hour time as well. When the bigger Odyssey came out they started to use them.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well that is not good promotion for themselves, but again a lot of people do not even know that Honda has a truck so it doesnt affect their reputation in any way. Yeah they are also in business to make money and spend as little as possible.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
dealers are all about running things as cheaply as possible. I bet they got that truck for a lower price than they could've acquired a Ridgeline, so that may explain why.

Worst I ever saw was a Dodge dealer using a Tacoma as their parts truck. Absolutely no excuse there.
What he said^^^^^

The truck in the photo was probably obtained for about one-half to two-thirds the cost of a Ridgeline. Also a lot of dealers now own multiple brands or dealerships and can obtain an unsold fleet or depreciated demo transfer for super cheap. I'm betting 95% of the general driving public does not know or even care what brand of truck their dealer uses. It's just a white parts truck.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My local Honda dealer uses an Odyssey as their parts "truck". I don't understand why because the Odyssey ain't cheap either!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
d

Sounds like they wanted a truck that would last.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My local Honda dealer uses an Odyssey as their parts "truck". I don't understand why because the Odyssey ain't cheap either!
Maybe Honda doesn't like the Ridgeline.

To me the Ridgeline would be a perfect parts truck.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
My Honda Dealer group ownership also has a Chevy Dealership.
They purchased the Honda Dealership back in 1994 just after I got my 3rd Honda there. But the original family Ownership was an old Pontiac Dealership that started to also sell Honda back in the 70s then only sold Honda as the brand grew. The original small Honda service repair shop from 70s was still owned so they remodeled it in the late 90s & reopened it. I remember them saying at that time they were one of two Honda Dealerships to have two separate repair shops. But a Chevy truck just like that is parts truck for my Dealership since they have a separate Chevy Dealer as well.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My Honda Dealer group ownership also has a Chevy Dealership.
They purchased the Honda Dealership back in 1994 just after I got my 3rd Honda there. But the original family Ownership was an old Pontiac Dealership that started to also sell Honda back in the 70s then only sold Honda as the brand grew. The original small Honda service repair shop from 70s was still owned so they remodeled it in the late 90s & reopened it. I remember them saying at that time they were one of two Honda Dealerships to have two separate repair shops. But a Chevy truck just like that is parts truck for my Dealership since they have a separate Chevy Dealer as well.
Very good point. My Honda dealership that uses the Odyssey as a parts truck that I was talking about earlier also owns the Audi dealership down the street. The Odyssey serves as a parts truck for that Audi dealership as well as an employee shuttle because there is limited on-site parking at that location.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Actually it is quite common these days because of all the reasons mentioned. Several car dealers sell several different makes of vehicles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My local chevy dealer ran around with a first gen Tundra for years, it was a trade that had no resale value because of the mileage and condition. So they slapped a plow on it and used it around the lot and to haul garage to the dump until it crapped out. My Honda dealer is also owned by the Chevy dealer now and they use a new Chev truck and a mini van but they also have a customer service CRV. It's all about dollar's to dealers so it makes good business scene to use the cheapest vehicle going but I can see using a decent vehicle for a shuttle. And a Ridgeline isn't going to do the same job as a full size Chev with a 8' box.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Domestic pickups are MUCH less expensive to purchase than the imports. We buy them at work VERY far below 'invoice' or any other price. That alone makes them the obvious choice. The additional space in the full-size bed, for any larger parts them _may_ occasionally haul, is just a bonus.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Domestic pickups are MUCH less expensive to purchase than the imports. We buy them at work VERY far below 'invoice' or any other price. That alone makes them the obvious choice. The additional space in the full-size bed, for any larger parts them _may_ occasionally haul, is just a bonus.
That's one reason the Ranger was so popular, especially for smaller businesses. Relatively cheap to keep and just big enough to get the job done. A very useful parts and jobber's truck.
Now I see a lot of Colorados in use, by city & county departments as well.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's one reason the Ranger was so popular, especially for smaller businesses. Relatively cheap to keep and just big enough to get the job done. A very useful parts and jobber's truck.
Now I see a lot of Colorados in use, by city & county departments as well.
Yes they are. My friend's work just issued him a loaded 4 Door 4x4 Colorado w/ leather. I haven't got too ride if it yet but I will, a lot. Well use it for hunting like a 4 Wheeler. I'll know by the end of hunting season how durable this truck is. It will be off-road every weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Give dealer some credit, Honda quit making their truck for 2015 and maybe
2016. Dealers run new and than sell as certified.
I like mine, owned since March 2015 (certified). Had 860lbs stone in bed
last week, didn't seem to phase it. Previous Dodge Dakota had some issues
with same load.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Give dealer some credit, Honda quit making their truck for 2015 and maybe
2016. Dealers run new and than sell as certified.
I like mine, owned since March 2015 (certified). Had 860lbs stone in bed
last week, didn't seem to phase it. Previous Dodge Dakota had some issues
with same load.
Don't get too many of us wrong, we love our Ridgelines. Dated or not, it is a great utility that does what it was designed for, and sometimes even more. As such it gets a good deal of support this forum (and appropriate criticism as well) if not as well from Honda.
Sometimes we have more expectations from a 'family member' that we are fond of.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
At poker last night, 2 guys told me they didn't know Honda made a truck, one guy thought my 2008 with 165k miles was showroom new.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts