Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Having owned six Ridgelines and spent probably tens of thousand of hours (let that sink in for a moment) on a Ridgeline forum, I think it's safe to say I'm a fan.

One of the vehicles I've owned the longest and enjoyed the most is my 2019 MX-5 Miata. I'm on "the" Miata forum, but I rarely participate. I just don't get the same sense of community on any other forum.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,185 Posts
zroger73

LOL!
Got to say it. You are a piece of work dude....only Administrator I ever saw that did not like the product. Why not do a website for a vehicle you actually have confidence in? Will give you credit for one thing though. You are in the top ten best Ridgeline bashers.
I'd rather have an Admin that doesn't pull punches than a paid shill for one of the brands.

@zroger73 hasn't stated any false information that I am aware of.... he seems to be one of the more level-headed individuals here. I'd rather get facts from him than from someone showing bias, either for or against.

There are a few other members here that outright bash the Ridgeline AND spread misinformation to try to bolster their arguments.

If nobody complains about areas where Honda could be doing better (and especially in areas where they should be downright ashamed), then we will keep getting what we have gotten over the last decade - Hondas that really don't seem to live up to their past reputation, and have trouble meeting standards of their competition. If your next Honda is better than your current one, feel free to thank folks like @zroger73.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
473 Posts
zroger73

LOL!
Got to say it. You are a piece of work dude....only Administrator I ever saw that did not like the product. Why not do a website for a vehicle you actually have confidence in? Will give you credit for one thing though. You are in the top ten best Ridgeline bashers.
I like his honest approach, doesn't candy coat anything. Honda's are decent, use to be one of the best, but that is now going downhill. I, myself, don't see him as a Ridgeline basher, more like a get your crap together Honda guy-and he's right!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Then again, I can't imagine those car vending machines are cheap to build!
They are fairly complicated. We have one here in Nashville and I've stopped by to watch it work. The customer even gets a giant token to put in the coin slot. LOL!

As for dealerships. They have their place, but for me, I'd rather do my research and buy 100% online including signing all the loan documents. I don't mind going to pick the car up as I really don't want anyone driving it or transporting it once I purchase it.

The way I negotiate car deals I am pretty much at the point where I only need to go to the dealer to visually inspect the car and sign the papers (which is silly and should be done online). I have a nice speech prepared for the F&I guy that goes something like this, "I am not interested in any additional warranty, service plans, or insurance. I know it's your job to try to sell it to me, but I'll initial whatever I have to saying you pitched it to me and I declined. Let's get this done as quickly as possible.".

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't know about money or beer but we talk among ourselves about things and I am not alone.
Sometimes people do things much longer than they should.

·
Registered
2007 RTL
34 Posts
Surely, you're not suggesting that service through existing dealerships is reliable and consistent are you?

Required service is neglected. Unnecessary service is performed. Vehicles get damaged.

Pre-delivery inspections aren't being done properly at dealerships out of laziness and/or greed. State-specific paperwork is easily handled by computer. Transport companies will be just as happy to drop off a vehicle in front of your house as they will at a dealership. They can unload vehicles off a truck just like UPS unloads packages off a truck. If the transport truck won't fit down your street, select an alternate delivery location or pick it up at the railhead. :)
Dealership service is easily more consistent than what you see at independent shops.

Incompetence abounds.

Have you ever seen a car carrier unload? It's not something you'd want happening in your cul-de-sac.

The manufacturers like having a dealer network as a line of defense. It keeps them from dealing directly with consumers, something they are quite happy to avoid.

·
Registered
392 Posts
zroger73

LOL!
You need to hang around a little longer if you really think all Roger does is bash Honda's. I find that he is rather pragmatic when it comes to pretty much anything automotive (heck even non-automotive). I bet you would be hard pressed to find 5 people on this board with more knowledge of all things RL and he certainly helps out plenty of folks around here. He doesn't need people like me to back him up, but he truly is a unique asset when it comes to a forum. I have been on forums for many vehicles over the last 20+ years and there are very few like him.

Also, to his point, this forum is much more of a community than most auto forums. The lack of people spouting search newb to any post here is refreshing.

·
Registered
623 Posts
zroger73

LOL!
I wouldn't call him a "basher". He's simply a realist. Same as me. A "basher" is someone who says, "The Ridgeline sucks because it's not a truck and it can't complete the Rubicon trail. It's a minivan with a bed". A realist simply points out the flaws of a vehicle...and they all have them. I can't think of many of the 30+ vehicles I've owned across many brands that didn't have some sort of issue or weak spot.

Without question, Honda quality has taken a step backward over the last several years. Honda has acknowledged this. Hopefully they will return to their former glory soon.

·
Registered
2021 White Sport
10 Posts
Have they? Or have they just managed to take creative advantage of loopholes? ;)
I guess I haven't been following it to closely to say loopholes or not...but I thought they initially were trying to sell direct to consumer through OEM display floor rooms.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I certainly hope so! I've never cared for the dealership model. I also can't remember the last time I walked inside a bank or post office or wrote a check.
All those bank locations make no sense at all to me!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The way I negotiate car deals I am pretty much at the point where I only need to go to the dealer to visually inspect the car and sign the papers (which is silly and should be done online). I have a nice speech prepared for the F&I guy that goes something like this, "I am not interested in any additional warranty, service plans, or insurance. I know it's your job to try to sell it to me, but I'll initial whatever I have to saying you pitched it to me and I declined. Let's get this done as quickly as possible.".
I might've said this on the ROC before, but I've coached each of our 4 kids on that F&I session - "Just say "no thank you" to everything he/she says." I could see our oldest daughter through the glass - she'd look out at me and try not to laugh. None of them cracked though....never been so proud, lol.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I might've said this on the ROC before, but I've coached each of our 4 kids on that F&I session - "Just say "no thank you" to everything he/she says." I could see our oldest daughter through the glass - she'd look out at me and try not to laugh. None of them cracked though....never been so proud, lol.
When I bought my 2021 Ridgeline, I gave my speech to the F&I guy and he laughed and said, "I understand"...but went on to pitch me products for about 15 minutes including bringing in the "general manager" to offer me "special prices". It's the first time I've actually had to stand up and tell them, "Either we sign the papers or I'm leaving". Then they started shaking their heads saying, "Man, we tried to help him out and gave him the best pricing". I was starting to get mad. I told them I appreciated their concern. Then I told them I had plenty of money to cover any needed repairs and I'd rather self insure than buy products to make a profit for someone. I then went on to identify all the sales techniques they just tried to use against me and told them to just stop selling, I'd already committed to buy all I was going to buy.

I'm not usually a jerk like that, but I'd had enough.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
261 Posts
When I bought my 2021 Ridgeline, I gave my speech to the F&I guy and he laughed and said, "I understand"...but went on to pitch me products for about 15 minutes including bringing in the "general manager" to offer me "special prices". It's the first time I've actually had to stand up and tell them, "Either we sign the papers or I'm leaving". Then they started shaking their heads saying, "Man, we tried to help him out and gave him the best pricing". I was starting to get mad. I told them I appreciated their concern. Then I told them I had plenty of money to cover any needed repairs and I'd rather self insure than buy products to make a profit for someone. I then went on to identify all the sales techniques they just tried to use against me and told them to just stop selling, I'd already committed to buy all I was going to buy.

I'm not usually a jerk like that, but I'd had enough.
That would be obnoxious, I get pretty lucky with my disposition

Sales people can't read me so they usually don't know what to do, and either flop or just start reading from the script, both options make me less likely to buy, however I'm a sucker for a salesman who is a fan of the product, if you can tell me something I don't already know about the product I'm trying to buy that's the hook line and sinker for me 😂

In reality I'm the easiest customer to sell to, I always know what I want before I walk in, I know how much I'm willing to pay, and I want to be done quickly, I have no problem giving a sales guy his commission, just don't try to make me buy something I don't want.

·
Registered
623 Posts
In reality I'm the easiest customer to sell to, I always know what I want before I walk in, I know how much I'm willing to pay, and I want to be done quickly, I have no problem giving a sales guy his commission, just don't try to make me buy something I don't want.
Same here. I research the vehicle, determine what I believe I can buy it for, send offers out to all local dealers, then wait for the phone to ring. No negiotiating, just a "yes" or "no" is all I want to hear. Can you get me out the door for $X? Yes or no?

If they say yes, I tell them I'm coming to check out the vehicle, sign the papers, and take it home. The salesman has to do nothing more than meet me at the door and introduce me to the F&I guy.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts