Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
474 Posts
Same here, no problems until I went to the F&I guy. He's a trained wallet assassin, trying to push third party warranties (only $4000) and higher interest rates. I would gladly buy online.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having owned six Ridgelines and spent probably tens of thousand of hours (let that sink in for a moment) on a Ridgeline forum, I think it's safe to say I'm a fan.

One of the vehicles I've owned the longest and enjoyed the most is my 2019 MX-5 Miata. I'm on "the" Miata forum, but I rarely participate. I just don't get the same sense of community on any other forum.
Hey zroger73 - I have a 2016 MX-5, 6MT. I like it very much as well - good choice!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Same here. I research the vehicle, determine what I believe I can buy it for, send offers out to all local dealers, then wait for the phone to ring. No negiotiating, just a "yes" or "no" is all I want to hear. Can you get me out the door for $X? Yes or no?

If they say yes, I tell them I'm coming to check out the vehicle, sign the papers, and take it home. The salesman has to do nothing more than meet me at the door and introduce me to the F&I guy.
I had quotes from a handful of dealers via TrueCar (or something like that; engaged it kinda by accident), and they were right in line with what ROC members were reporting having paid, so the "negotiation" was academic and took virtually no time. It was "we can sell this RL for 'x'", then "I already know I can buy it for "y", for sure", and they replied "OK, let's do it.". Utterly painless for me. Well, except for paying :).

·
Premium Member
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter Metallic
39 Posts
I've been a long-time Honda owner (I'll list them at the end). I guess I'm lucky and have a dealership that I'm very happy with (both the sales and service department). There's a dealer that is 7 miles away but I still choose to drive 21 miles, through the Monitor Merrimac Bridge-Tunnel to First Team Honda since their service is so good. COVID, however, has caused issues. When I purchased my 2020 RTL-E (March 25, 2020), I noticed some discoloring in my bed (spots that look almost white). The service department put in a warranty replacement request and still hasn't heard back from Honda yet. I love my Hondas but I'm not really happy that it's taking this long. The one benefit is, I can ding this bed all to bits and eventually it'll be replaced for free.

1984 Honda Prelude (5MT)
1987 Honda Accord Hatchback LX-i
1994 Honda Civic VX (5MT)
1997 Acura Integra LS
2000 Honda Civic LX (5MT)
2007 Honda Ridgeline RTS
2007 Honda Accord EX (5MT)
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E

·
Registered
302 Posts
Banker here. They're called Boomers and they insist on coming into a branch that is conveniently located to them.
Well you don't want to go too far when you got a couple hundred in coins you've got to turn in.

And cash those SSN paper checks you know.

·
Administrator
19,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
My local banks used to be staffed with older, helpful, and knowledgeable individuals with authority and long tenures. These days, those same banks are staffed with younger individuals whose primary job appears to be directing customers to their bank's app, toll-free number, or ATM.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Banker here. They're called Boomers and they insist on coming into a branch that is conveniently located to them.
Uh, I'm a "boomer" and am in commercial-lending business development for a huge bank. So no, the entire demographic doesn't require a branch on their block.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I once held a position as VP of IT for a large credit union. We had 18 branches spread across two states and an aging membership. Younger members demanded mobile and web capability and never wanted to go to a branch. They prefered deposit taking ATMs to human tellers. The older members tended to go to their regular branch on the same day and spend considerable time talking with staff before and after completing their transactions. We had to strike a balance between growing our younger demographic who had relatively little money on deposit, but were heavy on the loan books with our older members who were mostly deposits and investments. It was expensive to run all those branches, but we knew if we ran off the older members we'd be in a pickle if our metrics got out of skew.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
89 Posts
Uh, I'm a "boomer" and am in commercial-lending business development for a huge bank. So no, the entire demographic doesn't require a branch on their block.
I should’ve said Boomers and older but yeah there are no homogeneous generations.

I once held a position as VP of IT for a large credit union. We had 18 branches spread across two states and an aging membership. Younger members demanded mobile and web capability and never wanted to go to a branch. They prefered deposit taking ATMs to human tellers. The older members tended to go to their regular branch on the same day and spend considerable time talking with staff before and after completing their transactions. We had to strike a balance between growing our younger demographic who had relatively little money on deposit, but were heavy on the loan books with our older members who were mostly deposits and investments. It was expensive to run all those branches, but we knew if we ran off the older members we'd be in a pickle if our metrics got out of skew.
We are primarily located in one large county with three branches in other counties. We have a 25% deposit market share despite competitors in the teens. But our bigger competitors are embracing the new model and spending money on technology while we are spending money on buildings. It’s working for now but we are going to have to start consolidating branches at some point. With the current deposit glut it seems even more insane.

My local banks used to be staffed with older, helpful, and knowledgeable individuals with authority and long tenures. These days, those same banks are staffed with younger individuals whose primary job appears to be directing customers to their bank's app, toll-free number, or ATM.
Yep. We have management folks and lenders retiring after 40-45 years here. Banks have made huge investments in technology and need to cut staff expenses to make them make sense.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've historically been able to find my preferred F150 tow-vehicle configuration (Supercab + 6.5' box, well-equipped mid level XLT trim) in inventory but no more - crew cab and shorter box seem to rule the dealer lots. There's also a preponderance of 20" wheels (often 'forced' with largely aesthetic packages or higher trim levels) and I'm very insistent on 18" wheels for my towing preference.

I recently had a conversation with a salesperson at the local 'Truck City Ford' dealership (part of a local 'high-volume' dealer network with lots of commercial customers) and they were very encouraging about ordering - they ran 'tailored exactly for me' build-sheet in their system, kicked out a quote with a substantially below MSRP bottom line adjustment, and invited "we'll negotiate from here".

BTW, some of y'all know I'm a fool for research/preparation and so started this all with careful independent study of Ford's Order Guide which details equipment, option bundles, and 'gig' requirements in conjunction with the online 'Build-and-Price' tool.

Based on my 'preparation' we started the quote process with my usual XLT trim and when finished adding the current options I wanted the salesgal said "Hey, I think there's a chance we can do a little better with the things you want starting with the Lariat trim". She ran that for comparison and indeed it captured everything I wanted, didn't force anything objectionable on me, and was less than the XLT. I was chagrined at myself for missing that, appreciated she caught it.

Both the XLT and the Lariat 'tailored for me quotes' were well below the MSRP of anything in regional inventory which was even remotely close to capturing the tow-related options wanted and they all involved compromises I did not want.

Lesson learned - working on a special order with a competent salesperson (one who really knows their trucks and option bundling requirements) and who is truly interested in making a deal based on customer satisfaction is a very attractive alternative to 'instant, almost but not quite what you want' gratification.
This is just another reason why Ford’s been #1 in trucks for about 50 years!

After bowing out of mid-size trucks, the Ranger has now passed the Tacoma in sales, and they have an all-new 2023 model coming out next year, not to mention the cool, capable, pint-sized Maverick.

I wish Honda would listen to their truck buyers the way Ford does.

·
Registered
89 Posts

After bowing out of mid-size trucks, the Ranger has now passed the Tacoma in sales, and they have an all-new 2023 model coming out next year, not to mention the cool, capable, pint-sized Maverick.

In what way has the Ranger surpassed the Tacoma in sales?

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,641 Posts

I never see a Ranger, but a Tacoma, they are everywhere. Not sure about surpassing the Tacoma in sales.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
262 Posts

Umm not sure where you are getting your sales numbers, but Ford just dropped behind chevy and Ram in full size sales, and RL sales are creeping up on colorado and canyon numbers

·
Registered
89 Posts
Umm not sure where you are getting your sales numbers, but Ford just dropped behind chevy and Ram in full size sales, and RL sales are creeping up on colorado and canyon numbers
Ford is probably about to sell a crap ton of trucks if they really have replenished their chip supply.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
262 Posts
Ford is probably about to sell a crap ton of trucks if they really have replenished their chip supply.

They might be able to catch up some but that's not really how vehicle sales work, new vehicles are most valuable when there aren't many other new vehicles on the lots, lots of people bought other brands because ford's were unavailable, and they are very unlikely to trade in once values start dropping again as new vehicles become more available

·
Registered
527 Posts
Is this one step towards removing the dealerships at the point of sale? If I can select all my options online, and I like the price, why do I need the dealer to put in the order?
I do a lot of research and usually know what I want, but I still want to try before I buy. Seat comfort, e.g., is very important and reading a review on it doesn't tell you if it fits your body the way you want it to. And there will be other things you need to see or try in person.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am not a fan of Tesla, but they have made some inroads to direct vehicle sales.
They also have more than their fair share of parts and service issues.
Tesla can’t handle the few cars they have on the road today…….let alone the millions other brands have in service.

LOVE OR HATE the dealer for any brand:

Having 1000 dealers for parts and service for a brand is convenient and needed. Not even Tesla has that kind of money to invest in the parts and service network.

·
Administrator
19,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I'd guess that has more to do with having only 13 years of experience building automobiles for a niche market than their sales model.

Tesla built their millionth vehicle in 2020.

Ford had already made four million trucks by 1941. :)

I'm sure there's lot of good talent at Tesla, but they're just kids when it comes to building cars.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts