Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Honda Ridgeline and I know that it not the most current model but I can't believe how cumbersome the navigation system is to use.
1. No multiple destinations. Sure you can get waypoints but only if they are along your route. Even then you can't select waypoints from an address or from your stored memory.
2. Why do I have to have two places to store my memorized destinations. Just an extra button to push to get where you are going.
3. Why can't I choose the way I want to go. No option here go the way Honda wants you to go or get out the map.
4. Why are points of interest categorized. Why do I have to select grocery or shopping. A Walmart is a Walmart what difference does it make. Just an extra button to push.
5. Why no option to avoid dirt roads? Maybe it's there but I can't find it.
6. Why when I search using name it's shows me the business located in TX, I live in Georgia, but when I search by phone number it finds it right away. Sometimes I don't have the phone number. In order to find most places I have to use my smart phone to find the phone number and search by that, shouldn't I be able to find the Walmart down the street searching by name?
7. Why no option to select "Shortest or Fastest" sometimes I want to drive through a subdivision or neighborhood?

I am sure there are a lot more about this Navigation system that makes it cumbersome to use. I will update this post as I find them. I can't believe that Honda would put such a piece of garbage in such a nice vehicle. I can buy a Garmin, Tom Tom, or Smart phone app that has three time the functionality and is ten times easier to use for less than $200.00. The free smart phone app WAZE is head and shoulders better than the in-dash navigation system in my 2013 Honda Ridgeline.

Love the truck, hate the navigation system.
Honda you can do better, I sure hope you do.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
The nav system in your "13 is the same as that in an "06 RL. It has many components and can't easily be upgraded. It is 10 year old technology at best.
I think it's fine for around town but I always confirm my route options on my android phone for longer trips. A new Head Unit with Garmin is the best option to give you all the features you described.

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
The navigation system in the 2005-2014 Ridgeline is basically the same design that appeared in the first generation Acura MDX, so the technology is now almost 15 years old. It sounds like you better stick to your smartphone or standalone GPS unit. :)

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You need to get a more modern device to be happy. But in the mean time, if you are going to be using your OEM Navi, here are some methods/tips that may help you (it sounds like you are unaware of these):

I just bought a 2013 Honda Ridgeline and I know that it not the most current model but I can't believe how cumbersome the navigation system is to use. I believe this will make your experience at least slightly less aggravating! :)
1. No multiple destinations. Sure you can get waypoints but only if they are along your route. Even then you can't select waypoints from an address or from your stored memory.
Once you have a destination input, you CAN define intermediate waypoints by any means used to define an "original" destination. This is what you do:
After you have your final destination active, press Menu again TWICE; the second press will bring up the usual "first step" for defining a destination. Once you've completed defining your intermediate destination, you will be prompted: "Way Point" or "New Destination". Hit way point, and you're all set. You can do this a bunch of times (I don't remember the limit). They key here is to do them in the appropriate order (nearest first) if you are wanting to do multiple way points. One caution: If you stop & turn off the engine, be SURE to hit the correct button to continue your route when you fire back up again, or you will lose it all... and it's a pain to load it all again (can't save "trips"). But at least you can use previous destinations to reload if you have to. Note that if you put a destination into your address book, it will NOT show up under previous destinations... THAT is dumb if you ask me.

3. Why can't I choose the way I want to go. No option here go the way Honda wants you to go or get out the map.
You CAN do this by using the same waypoint instructions given above, but use "map" for your input, and you can define whichever road you want to go along.... you may need to do it more than once to define a specific route... same as you would on Googlemaps or any other.

4. Why are points of interest categorized. Why do I have to select grocery or shopping. A Walmart is a Walmart what difference does it make. Just an extra button to push.
You're not going to reduce the number of button pushes with this system. But you may find some methods work better than others. Sometimes it will be easier to select "All Shopping" if you aren't sure what subcategory your place will fall under. This IS clunky, but using "Category" is almost always better than using "name" IMO, since "name" is not location restricted, and you'll probably find a ridiculous number of categories you have to choose from. THIS (using "name") IS the worst aspect of this system..... don't use this unless you really DO want to pull your hair out. You can get lucky using "name", but mostly you'll just get pissed :) (unless your destination happens to have a very unique name). Just put the general category, and then use "key word", and then "nearest location" (or whatever those words are), or city vicinity if you're NOT wanting the nearest place (Walmart in another town for instance). I've found this to be the best method with this system. Lots of button pushing I know... but also the most effective method. You can also use "Advanced" under categories... where you can enter specific words like "carpet" or "tools". This can sometimes work quite well.

6. Why when I search using name it's shows me the business located in TX, I live in Georgia, but when I search by phone number it finds it right away. ... shouldn't I be able to find the Walmart down the street searching by name?
See above answer regarding best way to use "category".

7. Why no option to select "Shortest or Fastest" sometimes I want to drive through a subdivision or neighborhood?
This one you just have to "eyeball" on the map.
Beyond that, you just need to use an alternate GPS device. I've adapted well enough to the OEM. Anything more I need, I do at home prior on Googlemaps. Hope this helps! :)

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I use Google for back up on road trips. Roads are changed from time to time as well as the access to them. Relying strictly on a GPS for the most updated info can bite you at times when in an unfamiliar area.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
The Nav system in your 2013 is just a slight upgrade for the one found in my 2000 Acura 3.2 TL. This was the first model to use the single disc DVD for entire US map 99 model Acura had multi region DVD US. 2006 and up Ridgeline models system are really old compared to what Acura/Honda has been using in other vehicles they. Other models Nav Systems have changed a few times since the one in Ridgeline The Ridgeline Truck has not been updated since 2006 model. But old system will still work but look at latest Acura/Honda vehicles as to what they use now. See latest 2016 Acura MDX or 2016 Honda Pilot Nav systems. But know way to upgrade the Nav system in the Ridgeline if the vehicle has not been upgraded since 2006. You can get an aftermarket unit. I can bet Honda won't use the same Nav System in the 2017 Ridgeline model. That truck will be completely different but 2006-2014 Ridgeline are basically the same. So the Nav system is the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the information. Thanks especially to Dnick for the work arounds on the system. Hopefully the next Ridgeline will have some great improvements, but unfortunately that won't do me any good.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
In case you did not know, it is *not* a Honda Navigation system.

The system is made by Nokia (same as used to be Nokia phones, boots, tires, etc..) as they bought Navteq/Here.

Nokia is planning to sell Here, perhaps that will improve it.....
The OEM Ridgeline navigation system is made by Alpine. The data is provided by Navteq. The software was developed by Microsoft. It's all antique. The quoted output is slightly higher than the 160 watts of the RTL without NAV which is made by Pioneer.

Nokia had nothing to do with the navigation unit at all.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
The OEM Ridgeline navigation system is made by Alpine. The data is provided by Navteq. The software was developed by Microsoft. It's all antique. The quoted output is slightly higher than the 160 watts of the RTL without NAV which is made by Pioneer.

Nokia had nothing to do with the navigation unit at all.
You're right of course Joe.... but I think Henni was just pointing out that Navteq (the data provider) is now Nokia (via buy-out or merger?).... not that it makes a difference.
I'd bet that the new system goes an entirely new direction anyway. Any insight into that? (I don't remember if you've mentioned before)

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
You're right of course Joe.... but I think Henni was just pointing out that Navteq (the data provider) is now Nokia (via buy-out or merger?).... not that it makes a difference.
I'd bet that the new system goes an entirely new direction anyway. Any insight into that? (I don't remember if you've mentioned before)
Navteq has been part of Nokia for a long time, but they still provide it to Honda as copyrighted by "NAVTEQ Corportation, 222 Merchandise Mart, Suite 900 Chicago, IL 60054".

Navteq only provides the map data. The POI info comes from "INFO USA CORPORATION", the Zagat Survey info comes from "Zagat Survey, LLC", the operating software comes from "Microsoft Corporation" and it's all assembled by "ZERIN CO., LTD."

So I guess it's more correct to say the hardware is Alpine and the DVD is from Zerin.

Yes, the new HondaLink system for the next-generation Ridgeline is supposed to be Android based, but not the full Android Auto system.... but right now the info I can see still shows Alpine making the unit, Microsoft software and Zerin providing the data.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Regardless of who makes it, I'm glad I'm not the only one disappointed with it. It's the resolution that does it for me. My wife has a 2007 Lexus and it appears to be hi def compared to the jagged fonts and roads on my 2011.
My 100 dollar garmin looks better...and with free traffic and map upgrades, seems like a much better device too.
It's really too bad..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts